What's new

Things that bug you about your favorite movies... (1 Viewer)

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
How many have paid the price for your impatience? How many have died? How much damage have you done, and what is yet to come?
Does she mean that David is responsible for the destruction of the U.S.S. Grissom and maybe even the deaths in Wrath of Khan? I think it was kinda harsh of her to say that.

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Saving Private Ryan - the beginning and ending scenes. The acting reminds me of an Ensure commercial.
I couldn't agree more. The opening and closing modern day scenes were sickening, sentimental overkill. All the weepy "Am I a good man?" crap just made me want to vomit. Thanks for beating me over the head with your (already perfectly obvious) "message", Steve. The movie would be nearly perfect without these scenes.

Spielberg's one of the greatest directors who ever lived but he just can't resist gilding the lilly every damn time.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Solaris (the Russian one)- he's driving in a car. For 5 minutes. I get and love the rest of the film, but what the hell is this?
Want more?

Try Tsai's What Time is it There? (2001). Whole scenes are devoted to things like drinking bottled water and eating crackers, urinating, and paying for something in a bodega.

To be fair, it's not a bad film, and the whole is much more than the sum of its parts. But have a double espresso first... :)

James T

Screenwriter
Now that it has been 'cleaned up' for broadcast TV, that's my favorite scene.

"This is what happens when you find a man in the Alps!!!!"

laugh out loud funny
I like the tv edits b/c they can turn the most serious movie into a comedy.

When Fox showed Die Hard 2, the guy who dubbed over Bruce Willis' famous line sounded spanish and said something like Bruce"Yippe-ki-ye..." dubbed"Mr. Falcon".

Back on topic,

I didn't like how in Tim Burton's Batman, Batman is willing to use guns(swore an oath never to touch it in the comics since it was a gun that killed his parents) and that he pretty much shows no mercy when killing villians.

The timelines in all Terminator movies. I still don't get it. How does John Connor the rebel leader if he only exists because a soldier from the future goes back in time and boinks Sarah.
Someone mentioned sending a bunch of Arnolds, but in Terminator 1(for sure), Kyle mentions that the systems were damaged and no one else can go through...not sure about the rest. Maybe a two man-max before overload ?

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't like how in Tim Burton's Batman, Batman is willing to use guns(swore an oath never to touch it in the comics since it was a gun that killed his parents) and that he pretty much shows no mercy when killing villians.

James T

Screenwriter
I don't think a discussion on a 10 year old movie needs spoilers, but just in case

remember the factory? How many visible people were blown up real good? There were probably a couple dozen in the area of the batmobile and maybe more goons hanging in other parts of the factory. Also the guy at the end of the movie. Batman threw him down the hole after hiding under the bell.
Batman Returns had him burn a guy to a crisp and attached a bomb to one within the first 20 mins of the movie

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Star Trek III - Why in the heck did they go to Genesis. They had no idea that Spock would be intact, the "soft landing" of the torpedo was as much a suprise to David as anyone else, let alone him Spock being resurected by Genesis. All Sarak really asks of Kirk is to bring McCoy to Vulcan, then the next scene Kirk wants to steal the Enterprise to go to Genesis for something that may or may not be there. And McCoy / Spock want to charter a spaceship for the same purpose. Why? Like I said, it was not as if Spock knew he could save the enterprise, join with McCoy, be put on Genesis to rest in peace, go back to Starfleet and steal a ship to rejoin his body that has somehow been brought back from the dead.
Didn't Sarek say something more like "Bring them to Mount Selaya(sp?) on Vulcan. Only there can both find peace."?

My problem with Star Trek II/III is: where did the Genesis planet come from. The Genesis device was on the USS Reliant when it was detonated and it affected the nebula, not a planet. When was the Genesis planet created and from what?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
When Fox showed Die Hard 2, the guy who dubbed over Bruce Willis' famous line sounded spanish and said something like Bruce"Yippe-ki-ye..." dubbed"Mr. Falcon".
The edited version I have seen just cut the whole last part of the line. It wasn't until I saw Die Hard 3 that I discovered the line continued after Yippee-Kay-Yay.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Speaking of Braveheart, shouldn't the Battle of Stirling Bridge have involved… I dunno… a bridge, maybe?

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I thought he was refering to The body of Bones and the mind and spirit of Spock that lived on
That's probably true but Sarek had also asked why Kirk had left Spock on Genesis. Either way, I agree that they had no reason to believe that Spock's tube had soft landed - at least not until much later when David and Saavik had found it.

Ben Rockwell

Agent
Not necessarily a favorite, but Magnolia is a movie I like. But the rain of frogs I could live without.
The number sequence 8:2 shows up a number of times in this film, and if you look up the verse Exodus 8:2 (I think someone holds up a sign for this at the kid's quiz show), it addresses the plague of frogs. You probably already knew this, but it's actually always been a favorite part of mine in that film.

My only complaint about Magnolia is that it is so long I never have time to sit down and watch it. I think it's a beautiful film, and I've been trying to find a chance to watch Boogie Nights recently as well. Oh, well. Sorry for taking this off topic...

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
Sleepy Hollow Other than any scene with Casper Van Dien, I can't stand the witch face with the eyes popping out.

Phantom Menace Fart and poop jokes have no place anywhere in Star Wars.

Andy_S

Second Unit
For me:

Gimli's unnecessary belch in a serious scene in Two Towers.

X-Men:
Storm's whole "You know what happens to things that get hit by lightning" crap. It's so bad I don't even want to commit it to memory.

Spider-Man:
The Macy Gray self promotion bit.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom

Jeez, are you kidding? The orig song n' dance sequence at the end of Jedi was awful! That dippy song was embarassingly horrid! I was thrilled to see the new ending when it premiered, MUCH better music!

johnbud

Auditioning
Die Hard - along w/ the previously mentioned final scene I will add that the FBI agents are shown as incompetent. Their dialogue is terrible. And their names "Agent Johnson" and "Special Agent Johnson" are silly. These things take a action movie that should be rated a 10/10 and reduce it to a 9/10.

Speed - when the bus jumps over the gap in the interstate. From a distance it is shown with no incline but once they hit it the bus goes up. In reality it would go right down and hit the ground. Movie would have been better without this scene.

Many lines of dialogue in the Star Wars movies as well as the scene when Anakin is leaving his mother. He does not really seem that upset. This should have been a very dramatic and sad scene.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Fun thread.

Thank you for pointing out the running scene in Forrest Gump, and someone mentioned the music in Ladyhawke (ugh!)...but, you might as well mention Broderick's atrocious accent too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks