What's new

Things that bug you about your favorite movies... (1 Viewer)

richardWI

Second Unit
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - the infamous desert love scene. Crop out that sequence that is out of place with the rest of the film and you have near perfection in a movie.
You've got that right! Very poor storytelling move there. Totally interrupts the flow. That and the opening scene is too dialogue heavy. Lotta exposition handled in a very dull way.

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
Mine main would have to be Terminator 2. I just couldnt stand the going through puberty voice John Conna had.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
In the The Matrix and Reloaded:
The way Neo's punches and kicks seem to have absolutely no force behind them.

T2:
The night driving scene with that horrible screen backdrop.

Star Wars: Episodes 1 and 2:
The general lack of snap and wit to the dialog.

Big Trouble in Little China:
The thick plastic knife Burton puts between his teeth when sliding down the hole.

No particular movie:
Being able to blatantly tell the stuntman from the real actor - "You idiots! These are not them. You've captured their stunt doubles!"

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Any war/gangster film where a Thompson SMG is fired with one hand ala "Windtalkers." Although I like the movie, there is no way to fire a Thompson SMG full auto with one hand and not have it jump out of your grasp. I fired one of these in the early '70s before they were banned here in California and trust me the thing twists violently in your hands due to the rifling in the barrel and the sheer size/weight of the 45 caliber slug ; the one I fired even had a Cutts compensator on it to minimize the twisting action.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
No particular movie:
Being able to blatantly tell the stuntman from the real actor - "You idiots! These are not them. You've captured their stunt doubles!"
Worst example for me - the end of Face/Off where the boat flips up and crashes and "Travolta" and "Cage" go flying and you see them both front on and it's like they didn't even try to hide the fact that it was two different guys.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
My favorite stunt performer is the burly man dressed as Princess Buttercup in the roll down the hill at the entrance to the fire swamp. Of course, I deeply apologize if that was a burly woman, but it sure as hell wasn't Robin Wright. :D

Brad

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
One of the most ridiculous stunt doubles sequences ever is the one where Jackie Chan has to fight 3 voluptuous kung fu women at the climax of one of his films, forgot which one, anyway during the fight the women keep changing into 3 burly, muscular, unshaven men in womens clothing and high heels. Hysterical.:D

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
One of the most ridiculous stunt doubles sequences ever is the one where Jackie Chan has to fight 3 voluptuous kung fu women at the climax of one of his films, forgot which one, anyway during the fight the women keep changing into 3 burly, muscular, unshaven men in womens clothing and high heels.
Armor Of God?
The scene is indeed ... weird...

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Worst example for me - the end of Face/Off where the boat flips up and crashes and "Travolta" and "Cage" go flying and you see them both front on and it's like they didn't even try to hide the fact that it was two different guys.
Yeah, Face/Off is unusually sloppy about covering things up. Like when Cage leaps off the prison platform into the ocean and it's very clear that it's not him. And IIRC it's at the beginning of the movie, but there's a part where a guy gets blasted with a shotgun and blown backwards a far distance, but in the shot with him running before the gunshot, you can clearly the wire sticking out of the back of his coat.

M

Mark Patrick

Seeing Owen Wilson in his undies in the Royal Tenenbaum. And seeing Kevin Bacon naked in the shower in the Wild Things.
Seeing nude women in movies is distracting enough. Seeing nude men, ugh. No more naked old people, PLEASE.

MattThiel

Grip
Some of these are my favorites, some are not. (and some may have been mentioned before)
First of all, logic/scientific errors and bad dialogue do not bother me very much...because sometimes I do not even notice them :frowning: Yes, I am an idiot...

Home Alone: Why does Kevin need the fireworks to scare off Daniel Stern, when he didn't need the fireworks to scare the pizza delivery guy?

Home Alone 2: In the first film, Kevin says he is 8 years old. In Home Alone 2, it is mentioned that it is one year after the events of the first movie...but he later says that he is 10 years old! Does Home Alone 2 take place one or two years after the first film? This error is inexcusable.

Star Wars: After Leia tells Tarkin the rebel base is on Dantooine (sp?), he does not believe her. A few minutes later, when he is told that Dantooine is empty, he acts surprised: "She lied to us!"

Superman III: Just after Richard Pryor creates those storms, he tells Robert Vaughn how Superman stopped the storm and saved everyone, and we see Superman doing these things via flashbacks. I have always felt that showing Superman saving the day through flashbacks was a way to cut a long sequence from the movie.

Attack of the Clones: The 50's Diner.
Any scene of C3P0 in the conveyor belt and battle of Geonosis sequences.

Titanic: Rose's reason for freeing Jack from the handcuffs.
Jack saying "I'll be right here" when Rose looks for an axe.

Terminator 2: The 1st film establishes that you can't change the past. The 2nd film says you CAN change the past. (I like consistency in my franchises)

Alien: When Brett is killed, how do Ripley and Parker know the alien grew up to be so large and it took him away? (I know this was a cut scene, the reason why it was cut, and that it was reinstated in the recent Director's Cut)

Pearl Harbor: the tone changes from 'Serious Historical War Drama' to 'Rousing Action Film' after the attack sequence

Flight of the Navigator: the first half is like an episode of the X-Files, the second half is a lame kids film

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor

The best thing bout T3 is that it invalidates this sttement from T2, the entire premise is that everyone is wrong. You can't truly change the past or the future

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Pearl Harbor: the tone changes from 'Serious Historical War Drama' to 'Rousing Action Film' after the attack sequence
Actually, I think PH goes from "Romantic Fluff" to "Rousing Action Film" - I recall little in the first half that would qualify as "SHWD"...

MattThiel

Grip
Actually, I think PH goes from "Romantic Fluff" to "Rousing Action Film" - I recall little in the first half that would qualify as "SHWD"...
Maybe I should have said "Attempt at a Serious War Drama"... (I never said it was good. I DID forgot about the romance part of the film :b )

I'll continue things that bug me:

The China Syndrome: the scene where the media and the SWAT team convene at the nuclear power plant takes way too long. This sequence could have easily been cut in half, IMHO.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Wild Things, We see just about everyone in this film naked, Hell we are even subjected to the horror of seeing Kevin Bacon's bacon. But when the big 3-way scene unrolls, we never see anything more of Neve Campbell than her back :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks