What's new

They should do a Star Trek movie using the Final Fantasy movie animation... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I watched the Final Fantasy yesterday and was amazed how realistic it looked. With the cast of the original series getting to old to do the movies. I thought it would be cool to do a Star Trek movie based on the animation used in Final Fantasy.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
William Shatner would probably approve. The hair in Final Fantasy looked more realistic than anything Captain Kirk ever wore.
tongue.gif

M.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
An interesting idea, although I think I'd rather see in done with conventional (but better than Filmation-quality) animation. It still doesn't quite look "real" enough to fool someone, but also doesn't look distinctive enough to pull me into the aesthetic. I think the audience would be too aware of the medium, rather than the message.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
At the risk of sidetracking the thread, I have to say that 'even' William Shatner could act far better than the animated characters of Final Fantasy. There is a great deal to be said for the technical achievement of the film, but the character animation was sufficiently bad that I'd rather stick to real people against CG backgrounds for the most part.
If the advances in still image quality are matched in the animation department then this could get a lot more interesting, but I do think that having a different cast of actors is no more of a problem than having a cast that is CG.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I too don't find the animation used in Final Fantasy involving enough to redo the older trek characters. It just would never feel like them. I think most of us are attached to them as people, just as much as their characters.
The animation in Final Fantasy lacked reality. Everything, from the way hair swayed to the way they walked seemed far too planned and choreographed. It just lacked those happy little accidents that actors performing can do. It lacked humanity, which is one of the big draws to Star Trek and its characters.
Not to mention DeForest Kelley isn't here to provide the voice, and he's my favorite so that would be my personal reason to not attempt any animated version.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
To tell the truth, they should keep away from doing a ST film like this. I am a big fan of FF:TSW, but they still couldn't do the same thing for ST. Why don't they just film with real people and use this technology at the same time for special effects and stunts so it enhances the performances?

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I'm not a big Trek fan, but I don't think they should do a FF style CGI version of it.
I thought FF was ok, and I'd rather see them continue with more FF movies which itself could serve as a new Trek-type of series.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Some original Star Wars cast movies could be good too :)
Only if you can get Harrison Ford to do Han in voice tho
Jeff Kleist

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Real life actors are getting wooden enough as it is in today's paint by numbers popcorn drivel. Why would we need synthetic ones?
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
They did. It's a computer game called 'Vulcan's Fury' I believe. Was never actually released, but my understanding was that they pretty much finished it.
The entire game was done using Lightwave; impressive stuff. I really wish they had released it.
You can find the trailer on some older game CDs, like Die By The Sword. I can probably post it if people ask; it's a really really nice one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks