What's new

The West Wing - When We All Vote Special (HBO Max) (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Holy. Crap.

Without hyperbole this might just be the finest piece of television I've had the pleasure of seeing in years.

Nobody missed a step: everyone nailed it. It's like the show never ended. Sterling K. Brown was a worthy successor to John Spencer.

A flawless hour of drama.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Holy. Crap.

Without hyperbole this might just be the finest piece of television I've had the pleasure of seeing in years.

Nobody missed a step: everyone nailed it. It's like the show never ended. Sterling K. Brown was a worthy successor to John Spencer.

A flawless hour of drama.
I’ve never heard of this. There’s a new WW episode?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I’ve never heard of this. There’s a new WW episode?

Aaron Sorkin (and likely Tommy Schlamme) adapted the third season episode, Hartsfield's Landing, for the stage. The entire main cast got back together to put on the production (with the exception of John Spencer, of course--Leo was portrayed by Sterling K. Brown). Most of the supporting cast came back, too (the actor who played the Chinese ambassador was re-cast since I think he's retired). Emily Proctor read the act intro stage directions.

Snuffy Walden played the intro music on guitar and in person (with some accompaniment).

Tommy Schlamme directed.

This was all done to support the "When We All Vote" organization.

During the act breaks some guests discussed voting. By my ears the discussion was written by Aaron Sorkin and/or Eli Attie.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Somewhere in between. They’re performing in an empty theater on a stage with minimal props but one that does suggest the environments they’re meant to be in. If you didn’t have a memory of the episode, you’d still be able to follow it (checked out a few minutes last night but planning on watching the full thing tonight).

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Unfortunately, because I have a Roku, I am unable to view HBO Max (I don't want to watch on my computer, and I'm not going to purchase another streaming device).

However, after catching much of the cast on Colbert last week, I decided to do a rewatch of the series via Netflix. And I am up to and watched the Hartsfield Landing episode just this evening.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I don’t sub to HBO but I have also started a rewatch of the series. I had forgotten how well the show was written, acted, and produced.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We watched it last night. It was fabulous and a wonderful trip down memory lane. I was please to see how good all the cast looked. Yeah, they’re sporting some extra years but they carry them well. The fact they got all the major cast members and even supporting cast members shows how much they love and respect that time in their lives.

I’m so glad I found this thread because I didn’t know about the show.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Watched this last night, and it was excellent. Makes me want to revisit the West Wing and have it on blu-ray (it's only been released on DVD).

We are already planning when to start our re-watch (this will be the 8th re-watch for me and my spouse).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Watched this last night, and it was excellent. Makes me want to revisit the West Wing and have it on blu-ray (it's only been released on DVD).

There are HD digital versions available both on subscription streaming services and at digital retailers. iTunes drops it down to like $30 a couple times a year, just gotta keep your eyes out for the sale. :)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There are HD digital versions available both on subscription streaming services and at digital retailers. iTunes drops it down to like $30 a couple times a year, just gotta keep your eyes out for the sale. :)
What do the HD versions look like? The DVD is often too dark.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve only seen a few but I recalled them being close to the DVD. A little sharper but not by much, just as part of the way it was shot.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The show needs to be remastered for Blu-ray. HBO MAX should be showing these in full HD.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The show needs to be remastered for Blu-ray. HBO MAX should be showing these in full HD.

HD masters already exist. They used to be included in Netflix and Amazon Prime subscription streaming; I’m not sure if they still are. iTunes occasionally drops the price down to $30 for the complete series too.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Good to know the special is good. Don’t have HBO, but will probably do Max for a month to watch West World S3, and catch some extra shows like West Wing special.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks