What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Vincent Price Collection: Volume II coming from Shout/Scream Factory (1 Viewer)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The House on Haunted Hill is public domain, so will this release count as the OFFICAL release for this film? I'd like to see Dr. Goldfoot in either a third volume or stand alone set.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL's best elements belong with WB -- they released a great dvd of it some years back. No idea what Shout is using for it, plenty of good looking sources available. Maybe they're using WB's?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm totally sold on this one. The first volume was tons of fun, and this one has some of my favourites.

Though now I have to buy the original "The Fly" on blu ha ha.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
bgart13 said:
HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL's best elements belong with WB -- they released a great dvd of it some years back. No idea what Shout is using for it, plenty of good looking sources available. Maybe they're using WB's?
I don't if WB has the best source, the 50th Anniversary from 2009 looked really good.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Well, I'd hope they have the best elements -- as far as I know, they have the original elements for the movie!

FrancisP

Screenwriter
The only clunker is Return of the Fly. Awful and cheap sequel. Would have preferred Tales of Terror as it is a much better film. Curious to see what House on Haunted Hill looks like considering Warner supposedly has the best elements. Could it be McLintock Take 1?

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I'm glad they're releasing all of these Price films on Blu-ray now. MADHOUSE is one of my favorites; hopefully that one will be released in the future.My favorite Price films are from the 1970's: Dr. Phibes, Phibes Rises Again, Theatre of Blood and Madhouse, even though the first Price films I ever saw were The Haunted Palace and House of Usher at a double-feature in the late 1970's. I still like those two, they just don't seem as interesting to me as they did when I was 7 or 8 (and thinking back on it I was probably too young to have seen those 2 films then. I was equally intrigued and freaked out by them!) :-P

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
darkrock17 said:
I don't if WB has the best source, the 50th Anniversary from 2009 looked really good.
The guesses I heard were that the Legend 50th just copied the widescreen version WB released. Actually, I was never sure if WB owned the elements they used for their HOHH release. They may have got it from somewhere else. I know that the main reason they released it was to promote the "grisly" reimagined version.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I can imagine a meeting to discuss the contents of this set. They must be anticipating doing well enough with it to produce a third set in '15, otherwise I cannot believe they'd have left THEATRE OF BLOOD and TALES OF TERROR off in favor of RETURN OF THE FLY and LAST MAN ON EARTH. I am thinking they wanted to save at least a few top titles for Volume 3.

John Doe

Second Unit
Real Name
aki jebivetar
Dick said:
I can imagine a meeting to discuss the contents of this set. They must be anticipating doing well enough with it to produce a third set in '15, otherwise I cannot believe they'd have left THEATRE OF BLOOD and TALES OF TERROR off in favor of RETURN OF THE FLY and LAST MAN ON EARTH. The. I am thinking they wanted to save at least a few top titles for Volume 3.
Crazy talk. The Last Man on Earth is top tier Price and a most welcome surprise. It's far better than those two films you mentioned.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
John Doe said:
Crazy talk. The Last Man on Earth is top tier Price and a most welcome surprise. It's far better than those two films you mentioned.
All a matter of personal taste.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Even though Tales of Terror was an AIP Poe picture and Twice-Told Tales was a Hawthorne adaptation via United Artists, both were similarly structured horror anthologies starring Vincent Price. So they naturally seem to pair up better...just like they did on MGM's Midnite Movies DVD...and just like The Raven and Comedy of Terrors do on this set. I interpret this as a 'theme' and 'style' choice by Shout, which in a weird way is good news for fans, because it indicates they're intent on releasing more of these Price compilations.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
In that spirit, I shall very much look forward to a Ray Milland-themed set including Premature Burial, X: The Man With the X-Ray Eyes, and Panic in Year Zero.

There's much treasure to be mined in the Price films and these other AIP and related ones, and I for one cannot get enough of them. (Thank you, Shout!)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Patrick McCart said:
Warner owns House on Haunted Hill via the Allied Artists library.
Yes and no. It's in public domain due to someone before WB owned the Allied Artists product allowing the copyright to lapse. Warner, as they have done many times, put out a great DVD of a film in PD. Shout has produced great transfers, but I will wait to see what HOHH looks like, for they will not get the Warner elements. I'm not sure what Shout has rights but this collection includes one from Fox (RETUN OF THE FLY) and two that are in public domain (HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL and LAST MAN ON EARTH). This doesn't sound too well for a Volume Three.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waiins
Recent bookmarks