What's new

The Tomahawk: 8 liter 500 hp motorcycle (1 Viewer)

Definitely give the big ups to Dodge for having the balls to make the bike. It's definitely hot stuff, but a decoration piece. I'm personally a Ducati nut myself. I've owned 3 in the past few years, but none now. Putting my money in smarter investments.

Cary_H

Second Unit
The Tomahawk is merely a concept vehicle.

As for real-world motorcycle speeds. A number have cracked the 300 mph mark.
Pro Stock drag bikes are running in the 7's and nearing 200 mph in the 1/4 mile.
MotoGP bikes (motorcycle racing's answer to the F1 cars) have been clocked over 200 mph in races. These are bikes limited to use of engines with no more than 1000 cc displacement that must weigh in no less than 145 kg. Currently, GP bikes make in the neighbourhood of 250ish HP.

For comparisons sake, you can pop down to your neighbourhood bike dealer's showroom and get yourself a 150 hp, 170 kg rice rocket that'll run a 1/4 mile in the low 10s,(140ish mph) and do 180+ mph. 0-100 and back to 0 in single digit times....for less than $10K.

RobR

Second Unit
that isn't a motorcycle
You're right. It's a murdercycle.

The website seems to say it's able to steer. What happens when you lean to the side? Do you ride on 2 of the 4 wheels when leaning, assuming they have differential?

CRyan

Screenwriter
When I first read about it a while ago, I think the wheels slide against each other and you stay on all four. Neat idea.

C. Ryan

While it's not suitable in daily conditions, it's definitely an awesome application. The wheels do slide up and down so that all wheels can stay on the ground for turning. I've seen quite a few videos of the bike in different TV programs, but I've never really seen one make a turn. Imagine having to make a U Turn on a small two lane road on that bike.

Another cool idea being toyed with in the motorcycle industry is the concept of two wheel drive in bikes. I believe Yamaha has a dirtbike in two wheel drive. They're trying it on street bikes, but they're having problems in weight transfer.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
The ZX-12R is capable of a 9.92 sec. 1/4 mile stock.

My 9r is capable of a 10.16 in the 1/4, but not with me on it, I dont do straight lines only twisties & road courses (those are on my GSXR600 though).

I am surprised that none of ya'll have mentioned
the ZX-10R yet, it will do a true 183mph with
anywhere from 155-165h.p., depending on what magazine
you look at.

The new 600's can all do 150mph+.

I find it difficult to keep it under 100 on open roads,
anything less feels painfully slow.
Never had the oportunity to get it over 185 (indicated)
which is probably actually closer to a true 165 or so as bike speedo's are ALL optomistic by ~6-8 percent.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
More than that, Cam — and the speedos get less accurate the faster one goes. It's a psychological ploy on the OEMs' part.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
More than that, Cam — and the speedos get less accurate the faster one goes. It's a psychological ploy on the OEMs' part.
Yes and no.
the aprilia picks up it's speed signal from the rear rotor carrier bolts, it's spot on throughout the range.
My miata is about 5mph fast above 40, so cars do it too. I had my R1 to 175 indicated a few times and there's no way I was much above 160, I've had the aprilia to 155ish and it wanted to rip my head off :D

Cary_H

Second Unit
Great to see there's some other bike folks here.

I've yet to see what the top end of my 1K Gixxer is. (aren't they all limited to 185 anyway??)
Let's just say a couple of bodyparts are of insufficient size.It took a fair bit of time to get a handle on the adrenaline rush I get from grabbing a fair chunk of throttle. Sensory overload shuts down the brain.

10R? I have spent some time on my buddy's. It doesn't make a real charge as early on as my Gixxer, but it comes on like gangbusters from around 7000 rpm. At speed, I'd rather be on my gixxer than his zixxer. The two are pretty much the same thing, only different.

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
Saw that someone mention a Pro Stock motorcycle, so I'll point out the pinnacle of motorcycle drag racing. AMA Prostar Top Fuel class, Larry 'Spiderman' McBride has ran a 5.876 at 244 mph.

What happen with Neiman Marcus having this 4 wheeler in their Christmas catalog. Somebody has to have one or was the price to steep.
a true gem with cutting edge design and Art Deco-inspired style. ($555,000, page 61)
I guess they dont give you a set of keys after you buy it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks