The Spirit of St. Louis 1957 Jimmy Stewart film

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Nelson Au, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I happen to catch the last 10 minutes of this film on PBS last weekend. I had not seen it since the late 70's or early 80's on TV.I always liked this movie, despite that biopics sometimes get a bad rep. PT-109 and The Great Escape are always favorites of real life events, so I would include this movie among them.I see that there is a 2006 DVD only so far. I'm going to assume because this movie did poorly upon initial release, it's not going to get a blu ray release? The video I saw on the PBS broadcast looked pretty good. Anyone have any thoughts on the DVD or other info? I'd like to try to get a copy before its no longer available. Thanks!

2. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    I have heard nothing about a possible Blu-ray release, but who knows? In the meantime, I just checked and the DVD is currently available at Amazon for $4.99, so at that price you won't regret the purchase if comes out on Blu-ray some day.

3. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Supporting Actor

I'd think there is a chance for a Blu-Ray release, especially if a studio includes this title in a larger collection (box set) of Billy Wilder films.

4. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Hey thanks guys!A Billy Wilder collection makes sense. And I agree, at $5.00 at Amazon, that's a deal. I guess I was used to the old forum software that automatically made you a subscriber to the thread if you post on it, so I didn't see your replies till now.

5. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    The DVD comes with some extras which might not make it to a Blu-ray set, including a Joe McDoakes comedy short and the Speedy Gonzales cartoon Tabasco Road. It also has the theatrical trailer and footage of the film's premiere. A nice package for a price you'd expect to pay at Big Lots.