What's new

The Sound of Music 50th Anniversary Edition 2015 (1 Viewer)

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Yes, they need to redo this soundtrack. This film won an Oscar for sound and for some reason the technicians working on the blu-ray thought they could do a better job and remix it! There are actually words cut off and sound effects that we've always loved that were completely jettisoned! The visuals look pretty good, but I think they could probably be improved. And, yes, SALTZBURG SIGHT AND SOUND has been restored in HD and looks beautiful. Make sure you watch it because it has awesome behind-the-scenes footage and even captures Julie and Charmian having some private girl talk talking about dates Charmian is having while on location! Does anyone know of a showing in Todd-AO in the Los Angeles area?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
This is screening in 70mm/ DTS with original 6 track format at the BFI Southbank for 2 weeks from the 18th May.
You are in the show in Todd-AO.
Wish I could live in London.
First it was "Napoleon", then it was "Ryan's Daughter" and now its "The Sound of Music".
Jealous and inspired.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Wish I could live in London.
First it was "Napoleon", then it was "Ryan's Daughter" and now its "The Sound of Music".
Jealous and inspired.
Ah - but living in London would cost you so much, you would have to make yourself clothes made from curtains! Better to fly in cheaply for a weekend and catch a showing and leave before the jet lag sets in. I've been twice to see Sing-A-Longa-Sounda-Music at the Prince Charles in Leicester Square. Tremendous fun.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Yes, they need to redo this soundtrack. This film won an Oscar for sound and for some reason the technicians working on the blu-ray thought they could do a better job and remix it! There are actually words cut off and sound effects that we've always loved that were completely jettisoned! The visuals look pretty good, but I think they could probably be improved. And, yes, SALTZBURG SIGHT AND SOUND has been restored in HD and looks beautiful. Make sure you watch it because it has awesome behind-the-scenes footage and even captures Julie and Charmian having some private girl talk talking about dates Charmian is having while on location! Does anyone know of a showing in Todd-AO in the Los Angeles area?

Agree completely with you on the sound (of the blu-ray remastering), my biggest gripe being they filtered the high end to get rid of tape hiss, which is naturally there on any 1965 recording, and in the process cut off the very high end of the soundtrack. I'd rather have the tape hiss. I am keeping my fingers crossed the 4k release, probably in 2020 for the next 5 year anniversary, will be fixed. There's also way too much brown and earth tones in the colors, no release of this movie to date, and there have been plenty on DVD, VHS, laserdisc, has had this color palette, the 40th anniversary DVD had the correct colors and is very close to the laserdisc box set, where the transfer was supervised by director Robert Wise...

Last edited:

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I found the 70mm Magnetic sound line up at the Prince Charles was not to good and the 2.39 Digital picture has bad keystone.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I found the 70mm Magnetic sound line up at the Prince Charles was not to good and the 2.39 Digital picture has bad keystone.
You weren't entertained by the audience members dressed up as brown paper packages tied up with stings? Anyhow, I thought the soundtrack at those shows was rather drowned out by raucous singing. Happy memories.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Ah - but living in London would cost you so much, you would have to make yourself clothes made from curtains! Better to fly in cheaply for a weekend and catch a showing and leave before the jet lag sets in. I've been twice to see Sing-A-Longa-Sounda-Music at the Prince Charles in Leicester Square. Tremendous fun.
You dog. Hopefully it wasn't your voice that led to the cries for having its soundtrack done over.:laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks