What's new

The Sound of Music 50th Anniversary Edition 2015 (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
She's adorable but I think even she would agree that that's a LOT of Charmian! :P
That line was taken out of context! :P

I've always wanted to say that! ;)

For the 87 minute Documentary, THE SOUND OF MUSIC: FROM FACT TO PHENOMENON, I captured far, far fewer screenshots, as unlike the 14 minute Charmian Carr Travelogue, the much longer Documentary was scannable! :)

By the way, the Opening and Closing Credit Texts had a weird looking cross line pattern around it that was noticeable whenever the video was paused!

When my 5 Disc set arrives, which will likely be tomorrow, I'll be capturing fewer screenshots still, as the tedious "Prt Scn" Key method of capture via my Leawo Blu-ray Player makes getting nigh 300 shots just a tad too time consuming! :P

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
As I previously suspected, my 5 Disc set is out for delivery this morning! :)

Considering that THE SOUND OF MUSIC 50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION set only shipped from BC this past Friday, I consider myself fortunate that it got to North Bay this quickly! I trust my package didn't collect much dust in the waiting queues? ;)

I'll be checking the visual quality of the SD portover Bonus Features in due course!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
While I expected THE SOUND OF MUSIC 50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION 5 Disc set to be fairly compact, the packaging is way thinner than my 2 DVD Five Star Collection set, LOL! :D

The set I received is the Canadian Edition with English/French text, and no Digibook. :unsure:

On the other hand, without having unwrapped the packaging, the set does appear to live up to it's "Like New" designation! All in all, I can't complain with the less than $27 CDN total cost! :)

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
So far, my attempted comparisons with two of the common Five Star Collection DVD/50th Anniversary 5 Disc set have been a mixed bag, in more ways than one!

First off, from what I can tell so far, the SALZBURG SIGHT AND SOUND (1965) Charmian Carr Travelogue short appears to be somewhat cleaned up on the Blu-ray, though not unpleasant to watch. The old Charmian Carr introduction is sadly, not included here!

Somewhat more disappointing in terms of visuals is the 87 minute Documentary, THE SOUND OF MUSIC: FROM FACT TO PHENOMENON. Unlike its Five Star Collection DVD counterpart, I was able to detect the stair stepping on the Blu-ray, where this Documentary is also divided into far fewer chapters than on the Five Star DVD, and also lacks its convenient Scene Selection Menu!

Apart from the above, I was most dismayed to discover that THE SOUND OF MUSIC Blu-rays and Free Leawo Blu-ray Player (Which I depend on for Blu-ray Print Screen Captures!) don't play nicely with each other at all! It was a challenge for me just to snag a single shot of the opening from the SALZBURG SIGHT AND SOUND Travelogue, as the video was constantly blinking!

It's times like this that the inability to play Blu-rays on VLC and MPC-HC without having to pay for key software really ticks me off! I mean, simple screen capturing isn't bloody piracy for crying out loud, and in my opinion, NOBODY should have to pay extra just for that privilege!

OK, end of rant! I may attempt to use my Leawo Player again, if I can get it to play nicely with my TSOM Blu-ray Discs! :P

EDIT: Once I get into a title, the blinking appears to stop. So far, I've captured a few shots from the Travelogue, and for better or worse, the imaging has definitely undergone some restoration since Y2K! I will post a few of these, at some point!

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Without Further Adieu:

SALZBURG SIGHT AND SOUND (1965)

From The Five Star DVD Collection:
dvd_snapshot_00.11_[2016.03.15_10.54.18].png

dvd_snapshot_00.17_[2016.03.15_10.54.32].png

dvd_snapshot_00.39_[2016.03.15_10.55.30].png

From The 50th Anniversary Blu-ray (Mistakenly Listed As An SD Transfer On Blu-ray.com Review!)
SALZBURG SIGHT AND SOUND (1965) 01 - Opening Title.png

SALZBURG SIGHT AND SOUND (1965) 02 - As Narrated By Charmian Carr.png

upload_2016-3-16_14-54-9.png

Note: As the above screenshots aren't necessarily from precisely the same instance (Though they're pretty close!), image framing comparisons are at best, a slippery slope! This is meant to be a within image quality comparison, only!

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Hey Tony, the Salzburg doc looks so much better in those blu-ray captures and I noticed that the snapshots from the blu are 16:9. Are we sure that it's SD on the blu-ray?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Hey Tony, the Salzburg doc looks so much better in those blu-ray captures and I noticed that the snapshots from the blu are 16:9. Are we sure that it's SD on the blu-ray?
Hi Will!

As I was just viewing this, I was thinking the exact same thing! To be honest, if this gorgeous looking (Hardly an expected reference for a 480 interlacing, is it?) extra was advertised as a 1080p transfer, I wouldn't dispute it, based on what I saw!

The 87 minute Documentary, THE SOUND OF MUSIC: FROM FACT TO PHENOMENON, on the other hand....

Ah well, we can't win 'em all! ;)

Tony

P.S. I should clarify that the side bars for the Blu-ray images are due to these being a Print Screen capture, but even so, the PQ just looks too good to be an SD 480i portover!

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have one other slight disappointment. It was my understanding that the 50th Anniversary 5 Disc set that includes the CD also included an accompanying Booklet for the CD.

One more item that was left off the Canadian Edition, I suppose? :P

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I suspect what happened regarding the SALZBURG SIGHT AND SOUND (1965) Travelogue being mistakenly listed as a SD portover, is that when the specs, along with the review of THE SOUND OF MUSIC 45th Anniversary Edition for Blu-ray.com were put together, it was somehow assumed that ALL of the previously issued "Vintage Programs" were SD portovers! As it turns out, this didn't apply to every one of these, although it likely applies to the pre Blu-ray era Television/Made for DVD presentations!

Here is the link to the aforementioned review, with the content specifications near the bottom of the webpage: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Sound-of-Music-Blu-ray/13695/#Review

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
While I was quite pleased at how quickly my TSOM 5 Disc set arrived, I'm a bit puzzled by the fact my Amazon page displays my shipment as having been delivered yesterday (15 Mar), while Canada Post correctly indicates that it was delivered today (2016/03/16)! <_<

I just thought I'd share that tidbit!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
THE SOUND OF MUSIC: FROM FACT TO PHENOMENON

From The Five Star DVD Collection:
dvd_snapshot_00.00.38_[2016.03.15_18.05.00].png

From The 50th Anniversary Blu-ray (SD Transfer)
THE SOUND OF MUSIC - FROM FACT TO PHENOMENON 01.png

That this title suffers from the stair stepping pattern that is common in the 480i format on the Blu-ray is all too painfully evident! :P

Note: I'm hesitant to do comparisons for the various Trailers for one unfortunate reason that I don't see any way around. Even though they are non anamorphic on both the Five Star Collection DVD set, and the 45th/50th Anniversary Blu-ray Editions, each version captures differently, frame wise! My dilemma is, in order to attempt consistency, I believe that I would need to capture both versions on the same software platform. Unfortunately, I cannot capture Blu-ray screenshots on MPC-HC or VLC Players, and for some unknown reason, the Five Star Collection DVD that houses the Trailers won't play on my Free Leawo Blu-ray Player! In short, I'm SOL! :P

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Regarding the SD port overs from the various pre Blu-ray releases, mileage does seem to vary. For instance, the 19 minute "Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer: A Reminiscence", recorded for the 40th Anniversary DVD set (Where Eleanor Parker gets a rare delightful mention!), looks quite nice in its 16x9 Aspect Ratio, while the 63 minute "My Favorite Things: Julie Andrews Remembers", in its 1.33:1 AR, doesn't look as sharp, and I seem to pick up just a hint of stair stepping (Though not nearly so much as in the 87 minute "From Fact To Phenomenon" Documentary!) in some freeze frame shots.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
You prompted me to watch Salzburg Sight and Sound tonight. I had no idea it would look this good or that it would have been completely remastered in 1080p. I never bothered to re-watch it since buying the blu-ray. It looks really really fine!! Thanks Tony!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
You prompted me to watch Salzburg Sight and Sound tonight. I had no idea it would look this good and I never bothered to watch it since buying the blu-ray. It looks really really fine!! Thanks Tony!
Hi Will!

I was frankly, quite shocked at how great it looked, given the incorrect SD designation it was given in the Blu-ray.com specs!

One aspect I do find a bit curious regarding the SALZBURG SIGHT AND SOUND Travelogue, is in fact, its Aspect Ratio, though I suppose that even in the mid '60s, some short films still used the by then otherwise antiquated Academy (1.37:1) Ratio! I believe some Newsreels from that period also still used the Academy Aspect.

So far, my biggest disappointment is with the still non anamorphic TSOM Trailers! Honestly, how difficult would it have been to fix that?
I do realize that the original Bonus Features Blu-ray hasn't actually been updated since 2010, but that was still pretty late in the game for non anamorphic Trailers, in my opinion!

Tony

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
A very good documentary about the film and the true story. I don't think this made it on to any videos of the movie as an extra. From 2012. FYI Julie Andrew's hair looks very blonde in a clip from Do-Re-Mi.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
A very good documentary about the film and the true story. I don't think this made it on to any videos of the movie as an extra. From 2012. FYI Julie Andrew's hair looks very blonde in a clip from Do-Re-Mi.

Indeed. Now I suspect there will be an avalanche of queries about "does anyone know when a 4K version will be released?". Doesn't look like Fox has anything done yet, but if they get down to work and do a "Grease"-like scan, and fix all the sound problems, then there will be much rejoicing.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1505495519

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
This is screening in 70mm/ DTS with original 6 track format at the BFI Southbank for 2 weeks from the 18th May.
You are in the show in Todd-AO.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks