What's new

The Sound of Music 50th Anniversary Edition 2015 (1 Viewer)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
trajan said:
I really can't see this film being in 3-D. I've see this films many times in first run and the colors look fine to me. Don't mess with this classic.
I don't care for 3d myself or care for 70mm 6track films with dtsHDMA 7.1.

Here is how it should be converted to dtsHDMMA 7.1

Use LCR as normal
Use side wall surrounds as duel mono
Use rear back surrounds as Left-centre / Right-centre
Stuff the LFE.1 no need for it.

Now let me worry about re-plugging for 5 screen the rest is easy.

I'll keep the region 2 DVD upscale it at 1080p I see no logic for buying this unless my 5 screen demands are met. :)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
classicmovieguy said:
I've heard from a few sources that it's Lari Thomas who makes the flight down to the Banks doorstep.
Even Julie herself points out that it's Larri Thomas in the long shot of Mary Poppins' arrival at the Banks doorstep. When Julie talks about shooting some flying stunts at the end of the shoot, I think she's referring to other scenes, such as her popping out of the chimney during Chim Chim Cheree.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
You are probably right, Rob. I suddenly remembered where I had seen the interview (Graham Norton - Season 15 - episode 8 - it is on YouTube. I just checked). She talks about how they left the flying stunts to the end and she got dropped hard, but doesn't specify which part of the movie the stunt was for.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Also, things are filmed that don't make the final cut. They may have filmed an insert of Julie landing on the Banks' doorstep, but decided to just stick with the one master long shot in the final edit.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Seems kind of random to want this movie for 3D conversion.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
JohnMor said:
I don't think it's random, per se. No move needs to be converted, but this is one I'd pay to see in 3D.
It is far from random, when I started this thread, I really believed that Fox would do a 3D conversion for the 50th anniversary. Listen, to each his own. This is my all time favorite movie, no other film comes close to this one, for me anyway. Being the fan that I am, and seriously having seen this over 200 times, and being a die-hard movie fan who truly believes that film should be as it was originally intended, I see no problem with doing something above and beyond a restoration, like 3D for instance. We have a restoration, purists are happy. But for me, to see this in 3D with the spectacular cinematography in this film, would be an absolute thrill. And John, I would pay to see it too!

I really figured after Wizard of Oz, if each studio were to pick a classic for 3D, this would be the one from Fox. But 2015 is not over, I don't believe that the 50th anniversary celebration of this film is going to end with just another Blu-ray edition.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well I guess it seems random to me because beforw this topic I never saw anyone mention a 3D
version of this movie.

" I really believed that Fox would do a 3D conversion for the 50th anniversary. "

Which leads me to ask why you believed that?

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
With the continued decline in physical media sales, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts we'll be getting the same transfer as used on the original Blu-ray. That said, I have no actual inside knowledge on this title so it's pure speculation. As for 3D, it would be an expensive proposition to post-convert such a long movie. I'm just not sure the market is there for it.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
RobertSiegel said:
Listen, to each his own. This is my all time favorite movie,
You're quite right: each to his own. I don't want any of my favorite films changed in any way. I like them the way they are. That's why they're my favorites. I have no interest at all in seeing them changed to 3D.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
TonyD said:
Well I guess it seems random to me because beforw this topic I never saw anyone mention a 3D
version of this movie.

" I really believed that Fox would do a 3D conversion for the 50th anniversary. "

Which leads me to ask why you believed that?
It's more a matter of getting my hopes up. What made me consider this moght be 3D was what Warner Brothers did with The Wizard of Oz. At that time, I gifured that each strudio might try the process with one specially selected title from their catalog. In looking at Fox's pre-1970 catalog, and figuring in the boxoffice, popularity, and type of cinematography, I felt this film would be the one selected if Fox did decide on one at all.

I didn't mean to start a "should films be changed from their format" thread, I was just seeing if there were any others out there who felt this film would make a good 3D conversion. For 3D fans, I don't know how many could arguer with the first ten minutes of the film in 3D, in my opinion that would be asbolutely spectacular. Plus the way the musical numbers were filmed, singing do-re-mi through the tunnel, The end Climb Every Mountain shot, the festival, the puppet show, the trip to the hill after My Favorite Things, the hiding-out in the Abbey at the end behind the tombstones, the shot on the lake when they fall in, the nuns singing right after the overture, and what about I have Confidence with all of the backgrounds.

Well, so far it isn't happening. And I am really disappointed, but of course having the entire movie on Blu-ray in 1080p and then hopefully soon 4k is the most important issuie, I'll go right along with the others posting here. But I will always wonder how great this would have looked in 3D. In The Wizard of Oz, I saw things I never saw before, dozens of them whether it be patterns, special effects, or anything else. I wouldn't watch this in 3D every time, but The Wizard of Oz is certainly in my opinion a very successful conversion.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
As a stunt, I'd love to see THE SOUND OF MUSIC in 3D... I say this, because I was really up in arms about the 3D conversion of THE WIZARD OF OZ.... until I went to see it! When you've seen a movie many, many, many, many times... seeing it converted to 3D gives your senses something new to absorb, so it's like seeing the movie for the first time all over again (as Yogi Berra might say). However, I'd really only be interested in a theatrical 3D showing. For a new blu-ray release I'd like to see a new restoration of the original film as neither the color palette nor the audio please me on the current release.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I think there's still a market for evergreen movies like this in physical format; you can see already see the price shooting up on the secondary markets for this suggesting this.

Robin9 said:
You're quite right: each to his own. I don't want any of my favorite films changed in any way. I like them the way they are. That's why they're my favorites. I have no interest at all in seeing them changed to 3D.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
WilliamMcK said:
As a stunt, I'd love to see THE SOUND OF MUSIC in 3D... I say this, because I was really up in arms about the 3D conversion of THE WIZARD OF OZ.... until I went to see it! When you've seen a movie many, many, many, many times... seeing it converted to 3D gives your senses something new to absorb, so it's like seeing the movie for the first time all over again (as Yogi Berra might say). However, I'd really only be interested in a theatrical 3D showing. For a new blu-ray release I'd like to see a new restoration of the original film as neither the color palette nor the audio please me on the current release.
I couldn't agree more. I saw so many new things in The Wizard of Oz in 3D it was really an incredible experience, one I went into not expecting much and actually thought I would be upset at the altering of a classic. Based on that film, that is why I crave to see this one so much in 3D. I watched the film again last night (the 40th anniversary DVD because I do not like how they altered the color palette for the Blu-ray release) and after viewing it again, I saw so many scenes that would look just stunning in 3D. But seriously, I would just be happy if they corrected all of the color issues that plague the blu-ray release.

I feel that a 3D Sound of Music would have made some good money for Fox, in theaters and a Blu-ray version. I realize the cost of converting a 3 hour film to 3d in the proper way is quite high, but I really think Fox would have gotten their money back and more.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
After marching in the Saint Patrick's Day Parade with my school, I saw this film at a 2:00 PM showing on Wednesday, March 17, 1965, at The Midtown Theater on Chestnut Street, in Philadelphia, in 70MM-Todd-AO and 6-track Stereophonic Sound. It became an obsession. I saw the film approximately 50 times in 70MM, between the original roadshow release and re-issue in 1973. There was also a brief run in 1975, at Radio City Music Hall, in 70MM, which I saw, as well. There's not enough money in the world to get me to a, wretched, sing-a-long; but, I would LOVE to see a 3D conversion. More than anything, I'd love to see a proper 70MM-Todd-AO presentation, one more time.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Sound of Music: 50th Anniversary Ultimate Collector’s Edition

Its available for preorder on Amazon March 10th release.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/337972-the-sound-of-music-50th-anniversary-and-ultimate-collectors-edition-blu-ray-preorder/

Currently 30% off per Amazon usual for newly announced titles. $21.35. for Ultimate edition and $9.81 for standard edition.

This artwork should make fans of the original artwork happy if it turns out to be the artwork for the non steel book version in the US.

11063855-1419873343-166668.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks