What's new

The Skeptical Thread (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Wasn't it Prof Stephen Hawking who recently warned against trying to contact extraterrestrial life? That chances are they won't be friendly?

When I was young I was fascinated by UFO's, I guess I still am, real or not.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Steve, Dr. Hawking likened our contacting a superior lifeform to what happened to Native Americans after the first European settlers arrived. But, despite his brilliance, I thought his comments verged on alarmism. He's a terrific man, though.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jack Briggs

Well, I do not want to see the idea of life on other worlds -- particularly intelligent life -- grouped into the same category of pseudoscience and all-out nonsense as ghosts, goblins, demons, Virgin Mary sightings, Bigfoots (Bigfeet?), Yetis, and on and on. One is a scientific concept, while the others, well, are not. Flying saucers, on the other hand, are fair game!

You raise a good point, Jack. "Believers" often seem to assume it's all about criticizing faith for skeptics, but the UFO topic (which has nothing to do with the supernatural) refutes that. it really is different. By the way, did you ever notice that no one runs around trumpeting the discovery of, say, a hitherto unknown species of spider (as opposed to Bigfoot)?

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Dr. Hawking says aliens might not be friendly? My gosh, if only Hollywood had prepared us for that contingency!

Eric's comment isn't something I expected to see:

Skepticism over silly things like the trip to the moon or 9/11/01 are more examples where people take it to silly and absurd degrees.

If you lump such people in with skeptics (and I think I can see why you would), then I understand why you would dismiss skeptics as irrational boogerheads. But people who think the moon landings were a hoax (and most other conspiracy believers) aren't really skeptics since they refuse to go where the evidence is leading them. Critical thinking, which skeptics embrace, is, in fact, the very basis of rationality.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Mike,

Just a slight aside, and because I know you like (and have studied to some extent) early music --

Ockeghem frequently wrote in an 'irrational' style. And, his music is often best described apophatically rather than cataphatically. After having studied his works for over thirty-five years, I have found that it just makes more sense to do it that way.

Back on topic. I am skeptical about many things, and used to reject a lot more than I do know. But then I had an epiphany, and my faith in one God grew by leaps and bounds as a result. That's all I'll say about that on this Board.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
There's nothing wrong with you believing anything "unproven" and still being a skeptic. Skepticism isn't a believe or a faith. Skeptics are not a moral group.

All the "skeptics" have in common is, that they want to agree on some firm procedures and methods before any claim (phenomena, theories, concepts) is to be regarded as proven, in the sense that a responsible intellectual can no longer lightly deny it.

Next to that, an individual skeptic can believe in any religious value, or not, and still be a true skeptic. Or that ghosts exist or aliens are waiting to enter our world, or believe it was his left-hand neighbour who stole the roses from his garden last year, even 'though he cannot solidly prove it and there are no proper witnesses or recordings. A true skeptic will however realize that it's still possible, on the contrary, that it was his hot right-hand neigbour's wife who really did it. The one he acquits automatically all the time.

Thus it can still be his personal believe while at the same time he will realize that - according to his principles - he cannot demand that anyone else will accept it, or let it have real-life consequences.

Cees

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I am skeptical about many things, and used to reject a lot more than I do know ...

And, Scott, critical thinking/skepticism is not about "rejecting" in and of itself. As has been stated, it's about the need for evidence when examining certain claims. It's one thing to profess religious beliefs and another to claim that you know a diety exists.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jack Briggs

I am skeptical about many things, and used to reject a lot more than I do know ...

It's one thing to profess religious beliefs and another to claim that you know a diety exists.

This is where it's useful to consider the fundamental epistemological questions:

• What is knowledge?
  • How is knowledge acquired?
  • How do we know what we know?

One of the most offensive "tactics" I've seen used by opponents of skeptics is the implication that we know nothing; that everything is pure faith. Quite the contrary, we know a great deal, and there are rational bases for acquiring knowledge.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cees Alons

Is this an appropriate place to talk about those magnetic bracelets that align my Qi? Or about homeopathic remedies for untreatable conditions (that almost certainly take advantage of the body's natural acclimatization process and / or the placebo effect)?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DaveF
Is this an appropriate place to talk about those magnetic bracelets that align my Qi? Or about homeopathic remedies for untreatable conditions (that almost certainly take advantage of the body's natural acclimatization process and / or the placebo effect)?

It's certainly the place to say people are skeptical of them (to say the very least).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks