What's new

The Rocketeer & Dick Tracy DVD questions (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I think the "$100 million = blockbuster" mentality was around earlier than 1993.

For a movie as highly hyped and with as great expectations as Dick Tracy to make only $103 million... that's a disappointment. It definitely didn't do "great". The studio expected another "Batman", but they didn't get it. If Tracy had done "great", there'd have been a sequel. It wasn't a bomb, but it was a big disappointment for those involved.

Tracy should have been in the top three for the year - coming in 9th isn't "great"!

johnbr

Stunt Coordinator
I thought that I should say that Dick Tracy Was made in 1.33.1 and was to be show-en in 1.33.1 but the studio said no.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Charlie, he's right. Warren composed DT to be 1.33:1 but the studio said he had to release it 1.85:1. There was a segment about it in the "Making of Dick Tracy" book IIRC. It's been so long but I thought it was interesting that they discussed that in the book.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
One extra they could include would be the Roger Rabbit cartoon that preceded it in all of it's theatrical engagements....yeah, I know it is on the RR SE but it is a strong memory I have with the three times I went to see it in the theater.

Really? That must have been a big disappointment to the FX guys to produce all of those damn good effects shots for the film and to not have them seen in their entirety until the VHS and cable showings.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
Has Disney been re-releasing their earlier DVDs, even with little to no extras? Or do they simply not bother?

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I remember reading that Dick Tracy went OOP due to low sales. That would lead me to believe a re-release to be unlikely, at least in the short term.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I just checked Amazon.fr and apparently there is a Special Edition and it's in... Cinemascope?!

Does anyone know anything about this dvd? I didn't see any extras listed at Amazon but Ive done some forum searches and read through some of the previous discussions and the aspect ratio of this film has me thoroughly confused now... I haven't seen this movie since I was about 12 years old and would really like to pick it up on DVD, anyone willing to back up this R2 French SE?

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
Sorry to dig up a year old thread but if there's two movies that really need the SE treatment then it's Dick Tracy and The Rocketeer. Any news?

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Dick Tracy has an anamorphic picture and DTS, but is lacking in the extras. Supposedly Warren Beatty settled a suit regarding this film (which was why we never saw a packed DVD I guess) and rumor was he wanted to include some extras on a special edition.

Rocketeer is a mystery. Disney has no plans to revisit the title any time soon from what I hear. Maybe HD-DVD will yield some promise.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping to see both DICK TRACY and THE ROCKETEER on Blu-Ray with new improved transfers. The DTS sound on TRACY is marvelous, but the reds in the picture are very noisy(perhaps its just my display or DVD player).

Rocky F

Second Unit
I think both of these would be good candidates for Vista Series DVD's, if Disney is still doing that line. I don't think they've put anything out under that banner in a while.

LCD22

Screenwriter
The big question I have is would Disney include their 90s Disney Channel special "Rocketeer: Excitement in the Air", which was hosted by Bill Campbell. I have it on tape with "The Rocketeer". I would consider a special edition if they did include it.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Thr Rocketeer's laserdisc transfer was terrible, one of the worst I had seen on that format. It was this transfer that Disney saw fit to slap on the DVD. I have forgiven video companies for recycling very good laserdisc transfers onto DVD (like "The Abyss"), but there's no excuse for recycling a bad one.

-Lyle J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks