What's new

The Restored "Animal Crackers"... (1 Viewer)

dirwuf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Gassel
When Universal released the restored and uncut version of "Animal Crackers" in 2016 as part of the blu-ray Marx Brothers "Silver Screen Collection", I assumed this would be the version of the film we would see everywhere from then on, but it seems like this is being held exclusively for the blu-ray set.

When TCM shows the film, it is the old SD master, easily identifiable from the start by the "www.universalstudios.com". under the Universal logo, instead of the newer "A Comcast Company" which is on the restored version. NBC's new streaming service "Peacock" has the film in their library, and although it's in beautiful HD and does contain the "Comcast" name under the logo, it is still the CUT version...very very strange as until this time, the only HD version was the uncut restoration.

So I don't know if this is oversight, miscommunication, or a conscious decision...you would think if the restoration was purposely being held as a blu-ray exclusive, it would be promoted that way ("Only available here!"), but that's not the case.

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I think TCM requires that what they show be on a medium that integrates into their system. They can't show a "film" and maybe they can't just play a blu-ray. I assume what they have has not been updated.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Remember that Home Entertainment and Television Sales are two different arms of the corporation, and it's entirely possible that the latter is unaware there's a restored version.

dirwuf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Gassel
Remember that Home Entertainment and Television Sales are two different arms of the corporation, and it's entirely possible that the latter is unaware there's a restored version.

I get that, but when TCM showed the five Paramount films recently, some were the restored versions and some were the old SD transfers.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
I get that, but when TCM showed the five Paramount films recently, some were the restored versions and some were the old SD transfers.

All I can say is that TCM can only show what they're sent. If it's not the best version, then the blame likes not with them but Universal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks