What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sony brings the 1993 Merchant Ivory film The Remains of the Day to 4K UHD Blu-ray in a stunning new transfer supervised by the director.

The Remains of the Day (1993)

Released: 19 Nov 1993
Rated: PG
Runtime: 134 min

Director: James Ivory
Genre: Drama, Romance

Cast: Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson, John Haycraft
Writer(s): Kazuo Ishiguro, Ruth Prawer Jhabvala

Plot: A butler who sacrificed body and soul to service in the years leading up to World War II realizes too late how misguided his loyalty was to his lordly employer.

IMDB rating: 7.8
MetaScore: 86

Disc Information

Studio: Sony
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.39.1...

Continue reading...

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Watched Remains Of The Day last night as it is one of my favorites. The 4K is nothing short of spectaular and goes into the "reference disc" category. As Clu Gulager says at the end of Into The Night, "I believe this falls into the or what category" as he takes a wad of cash from Jeff Goldblum and Michelle Pfeiffer.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Watched Remains Of The Day last night as it is one of my favorites. The 4K is nothing short of spectaular and goes into the "reference disc" category. As Clu Gulager says at the end of Into The Night, "I believe this falls into the or what category" as he takes a wad of cash from Jeff Goldblum and Michelle Pfeiffer.
Cannot say the same, unfortunately, about the 4K digital.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Todd,
I do agree, as is the case with most 4K discs, they are darker. But 4K is the closest thing we have to 35 MM prints. As my son says the " 4K for Suspiria is the poster child for 4K". I saw Thunderball when it opened in 1965, nothing like it. That Bond film is the pinnacle for Technicolor of the Bond series. Even a bad print of Thunderball knocked your eyeballs out! When I saw the film in many other theaters, some sub run, some revivals, over many decades, it didn't hold a candle to the way the Paramount opened it in NY. I would give up everything in the way of home video if I could have the guarantee of seeing my favorite films in 35/70MM every couple of years. The fact is we just can't compare any kind of home video format to what we witnessed theatrically, we can only hope for that medium to come close so we have a record of the past..

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
The laserdisc was reference quality, the DVD was riddled with artifacts, the UK Blu-ray was a big improvement over the DVD. I believe the Blu-ray came out earlier in the UK? I think I'll stop there!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd,
I do agree, as is the case with most 4K discs, they are darker. But 4K is the closest thing we have to 35 MM prints. As my son says the " 4K for Suspiria is the poster child for 4K". I saw Thunderball when it opened in 1965, nothing like it. That Bond film is the pinnacle for Technicolor of the Bond series. Even a bad print of Thunderball knocked your eyeballs out! When I saw the film in many other theaters, some sub run, some revivals, over many decades, it didn't hold a candle to the way the Paramount opened it in NY. I would give up everything in the way of home video if I could have the guarantee of seeing my favorite films in 35/70MM every couple of years. The fact is we just can't compare any kind of home video format to what we witnessed theatrically, we can only hope for that medium to come close so we have a record of the past..
I never said the disc was darker. I said the current (and older) 4K digital was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks