What's new

The Proposition (1 Viewer)

Shane Harg

Second Unit

Anybody seen this movie, or planning on seeing it?

I want to see it, but I also heard that the carnage is intense and not for the faint of heart. I love a good action thriller taking place on the open range - the Australian outback in this cas - but their are some things I can't stomach, such as intense, drawn-out torture (walked out on Passion of the Christ), and grisly killings of woman and/or children. Any reviews or input?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I wouldn't call it an "action thriller". The violence is intense, but it's also quick, as it would be in life, and the camera doesn't dwell on it. What some viewers might find more disturbing than the violence is the filth and flies, which are a constant reminder that this is a landscape completely different from the one where most of the characters came from. As my wife and I walked out of the theater, I said to her, "That place makes Deadwood look clean and tidy!"

For a violent film, the pace is quite deliberate. There isn't much dialogue (except for Jon Hurt, who says more in his two scenes than Guy Pearce in the whole movie), and much of what the characters feel is expressed through looks and silences. The portrayals by Ray Winstone and Emily Watson of a military man and his wife are particularly memorable.

M.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

I was a bit apprehensive about the violence before seeing this on R4 DVD. I know the "small screen" diminishes the impact somewhat, but as squeamish as I am, I didn't find the violence too bad. The filth, flies, and plotline don't exactly make for a "pleasant" viewing experience, but I'm glad I saw it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's a decent movie, but as has been said, it is rather deliberate. Definitely not what I would consider an action/thriller. The gory parts are abrupt and seriously grisly, then it moves on. It actually reminds me a lot of Robert Altman's McCabe and Mrs. Miller in several ways, but with more violence like the final scene spread through the story.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Sorry about the mis-classification. How would all of you classify it? Historical drama? I haven't seen it, of course, so I wasn't sure what to call it.

Anyway, does the movie live up to all the rave reviews? The box office release of this movie being around the same time as the Da Vinci Code is certain to keep it in relative obscurity.

What is R4 DVD? Elizabeth? Or anybody?

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Region 4 - Duh! Didn't even dawn on me that it might have already been released on DVD, somewhere in the world, already. Pretty surprising, actually.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
R4 is Australia. The Proposition is an Australian film.

It opens here on Friday. I'm planning on seeing it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Shane, it went into wide release in Australia in early October and was recently released there on DVD. Believe it or not, the entire, global movie industry does not revolve around North America.

As far as classification, maybe it is best to not be so concerned with things like that. It is definitely not a historical drama, since the characters are fictional. It's essentially an Australian Western, taking place at the same time as thhe typical American Western. Call it a character study, or whatever you want.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
I wasn't saying or even implying that it does. I don't even live there. It just surprises me that it was released on DVD in Australia, before a box office release anywhere else. That does happen a lot, here in Japan, but the market for movies is pretty narrow here, too, and I don't expect Proposition to be released any time soon (if ever) from Japan's box office.

That' why I'm asking all the questions; because I will probably end up having to buy the R1 DVD (don't own a player for R4 and R2 discs are too expensive) in order to even see it and I'm trying to figure out if the movie is something that I would want to own.

Dave Hackman

Stunt Coordinator
This movie excels in the ability to transport you to its environment. As soon as the lights dim and the movie begins you feel as if you are in the Australian outback during the 1880‘s.

Things look grimy and gritty and void of any type of modern invention. Flies routinely land on townsfolk mouths as they talk and dirt seems to find additional areas of adhesion as you follow Charlie Burns (Guy Pearce) attempt to track down his ruthless brother in order to save his innocent younger brother.

I enjoyed the experience of watching this more then the overall story. As the end seemed a bit under whelming and a little truncated. Performance wise its damn good with interesting characters that are definitely unique.

I would recommend you give it a try just to experience the time period. It’s refreshingly raw and un-afraid to be ugly.

B+

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I didnt think the violence was that bad at all after everything Id heard about it. I was expecting alot worse.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, this type of buzz tends to start and be perpetuated with no real basis. It has a few moments of violence but I can't even begin to mention the movies which have been FAR more violent, but haven't gotten that reputation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks