What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

"The Pee-wee Herman Show".....Finally!!! (1 Viewer)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I just read on TVshowsonDVD.com that Image is going to release "The Pee-wee Herman Show" on DVD.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4674

This is of course was Paul Reubens' stage show from 1981 which originally aired on HBO. I used to have this on VHS many years ago and thought it was one of the most hilarious things I'd ever seen. Anyway, I've been waiting for so long to see this arrive on DVD and sure enough, it's happening.

This is not kiddie fare by any means. Sure, it's Reubens' early concept to what ultimately became "Pee-wee's Playhouse", but this special is indeed adult oriented. Many of the same characters appear in this special such as Miss Yvonne portrayed by Lynne Stewart, Cap'n Karl who was portrayed by the late, great Phil Hartman as well as various others.

This special has everything. A drawing lesson from Kap'n Karl, an educational film about hygiene, a classic cartoon, and............shoe mirrors! lol

I can't wait to get this. I really can't wait. I've since lost the VHS and haven't seen this in many years. Just keep in mind that this is not intended for children. Man I can't wait!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Good news... but I thought you were going to report on the SPECIAL EDITIONS which don't ever seem to be coming out. :angry:

Why announce something and than not put it out?

Commentaries are apparently recorded, extras are already produced... what the hell is the hold up?!?!?

I would've have eagerly bought the Pee-Wee boxsets over a year ago when they were first released if I had not been told to expect Special Editions int he near future.

It's really frustrating.

Has this been canned altogether?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I have a sneaking suspicion that Image wanted to include the HBO special in the big collector set, and held things up until they could get it, release it separately, and then include it along with everything else in the "big box". Just a theory of mine, but let's see if I'm a good guesser. :D

Jake Yenor

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone who has any sort of contact with Image find out what happened to the Special Edition set? I know myself, and many others held out on buying the first two sets waiting for this one. If they are never coming I would rather know sooner than later. :frowning:

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
This is great news, the HBO special was the funniest of the Pee Wee shows. Just great. I watched it countless times, still have the VHS and have it on DVD, recording it when it aired on HBO Comedy not too long ago (it shows there quite a bit). Love to have the official release.

"I'm the luckiest, the luckiest boy in the world. The birds all envy me. Because I'm Pee Weeeeeeeeeeee"

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I am really anxious to get this. I even brought out my VHS version and watched it recently. Everything in this show is great. The shoe mirrors bit, with the great punch-line is one of my favorite routines.

The entire Mr. Bungle film can be seen on one of the Educational Archives DVD set from Fantoma. It is actually called Lunchroom Manners on the Social Enginerring 101 DVD.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
This was the first thing I rented on VHS when we first got a VCR. I haven't seen it since, and I can't wait to see it again.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Re: the limited editions, a person at another board I go to contacted Image about them about a month ago and was told that they're stilling planning to release them but they aren't on the schedule yet.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
For people who are unfamiliar, this special is more in the early Pee-Wee style where his humor was mildly off-color.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Pee-wee: Are they round?
Kapn Karl: Sometimes.
Pee-wee: I know. I know......earrings.
Kapn Karl: No Pee-wee.

(graps marker from Pee-wee's hand)

Kapn Karl: A bellybutton and a watch.

LOL, this couldn't come out soon enough. I've also been holding out for the special editions of the sets, which is why I held off from buying the initial releases. If they aren't at least announced within 2006, I'll probably break down and buy the existing sets.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well this finally comes out today! I won't be picking it up until next week but I was curious whether anyone else here got it, and could possibly comment on quality, etc. I'm so excited to finally own this, especially since it's been many years since I'd last seen it.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
My copy, along with my "Adventures of Brisco County Jr." and "Jack of All Trades" DVD is "out for delivery" and I plan on watching this one first so I'll let you know.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching it and there's nothing to worry about quality-wise, it looks great for a 25-year-old cable special and it's uncut.

It's taken a lot longer than the rest of the major Pee-wee stuff to come out on DVD and I worried that the music rights to the Sly Stone tribute might have been the holdup but the whole medley is intact.

It's less than 59 minutes long and there are no special features, it would have been nice if they could have done a couple commentaries like on the "Pee-wee's Playhouse Christmas Special" but you can probably find this DVD for pretty cheap. I paid less than $11 and I think it's worth it, I paid more than that for "Big Top Pee-wee" when it first came out and "The Pee-wee Herman Show" is much better than that.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Thanks for the head's up Bill. The Sly & The Family Stone medley was the one thing I was curious about as well. It's great to hear it's intact. Unfortunately, I have to wait until Monday to get this, but it'll be well worth the wait! Besides, I've already waited this long. lol Thanks again for the input. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Wasn't this rumored to be part of the mythical "ulimate" set that was supposed to come out? Any news on that so I don't have to double dip??

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
Captain Carl, did you remember to wash your hands?

NO!!!!! (while grabbing Pee Wee)!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks