What's new

The Ongoing Wal-Mart $4.88/$5.50/$5.88 Bargain Bin Thread (2 Viewers)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Quite a few more titles in the bin lately. There was one on the history of Harley Davidson, The Crossing Guard, some Coutry Singer DVDs, a couple others I can't quite remember.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Lately, I've been getting more 'action' in the $7.50 sister-bin.

Recently liberated copies of The Natural, Grey Owl, and The Quick and the Dead (non-SB).

I can well imagine that studios are running out of clearanced product, now that we're seeing newly released movies like Ford Fairlane and Pickup Artist hitting 'the bin' on day one (or two weeks early as was the case).

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Here's another observation:

Have you noticed that titles appearing in 'the bin' have a tendency to show up at used DVD shops in a matter of weeks?

Funny thing is, they are typically priced at $7.99-$9.99 used!

I guess you pay more used than new if you miss your shot at 'the bin'.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I have something of a split policy when shopping at Walmarts:

- For higher-priced releases, I patronize a Walmart in a rough neighborhood for the lowest overall price (even compared to other Walmarts).

However, these locations are not ideal for 'bin' shopping, because their patrons are usually lined up two-deep around the bin at all times.

- For the best 'bin' shopping, I visit a Walmart in an up-scale neighborhood.

The well-heeled patrons typically ignore the 'the bin', allowing me easy access and the best selection.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"Have you noticed that titles appearing in 'the bin' have a tendency to show up at used DVD shops in a matter of weeks?"

Sometimes it takes just days. And yes....I laugh everytime I see their prices. I told them once but that was an effort in futility. They want more money and there's always an easy mark right around the corner.

"For higher-priced releases, I patronize a Walmart in a rough neighborhood for the lowest overall price (even compared to other Walmarts)."

"For the best 'bin' shopping, I visit a Walmart in an up-scale neighborhood"

Seems every Walmart is different in the 'new release' area. I go to the upscale for the new releases and the bins. But I agree with the idea that people from the upscale area tend to disregard the bin. Over half the time there is no one even looking.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Seems like 'the bin' has gone bye-bye in many stores for the holidays.

My local Walmart replaced it with a massive battery display.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I recently got a lesson in the durability of Snappers vs. Keepcases.

I finally set aside some time to open all the movies I had bought out of 'the bin' since it's inception (early-2002?).

Yes, that's right, I haven't watched a one of them.

Since they're the cheapest stuff in my collection, there was always something newer or more costly that I figured I should open and check out first.

Long story short, the Snappers didn't exactly come out of 'the bin' unscathed.

Most of the Snappers had deep cover scrapes from the edges of other Snappers (ironic?) and some had partially smashed spindles (I apparently didn't shake test all of them).

The cover scrapes are visible through the shrink wrap, but you have to look closely.

As you might imagine, the Keepcases were completely unaffected by their time in 'the bin'.

Something to consider at your next purchase.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Some of the used shops around here charge $10-15 for the Wal-Mart bin titles, but all the CD Connection locations seem to be clued in on these titles. They charge 4.99 for most of them. I tried telling the people at a couple other places about how these and some of the other stuff they're selling (Madacy and other cheapy titles) are extremely overpriced, but they seldom do anything about it.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Don't know if this a national thing or not but I remeber someone commenting that a certain title rang up at $5.50
Well, the store in Maple Grove, MN has changed the bin price to $5.50 - a price drop to 'get rid' of everyting as Dave L has stated is a distinct possibilty. I hope not. That bin is the greatest thing since sliced bread. :D

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Well the $5.88 bin at the 2 Wal-Marts I frequent is still going strong at both. Albeit than one of them has a much better selection than the other though.

Both have also added the aforementioned $7.50 as well. The titles in the $7.50 bin at my WM are almost all WB Snappers but are definitely decent quality titles:

Firefox, Where Eagles Dare, Heartbreak Ridge, The Enforcer, Magnum Force, Dirty Harry, Suddne Impact, Art of War, Murder at 1600, Above the Law, Under Siege, Under Siege 2, National Lampoon's Vacation and who knows how many others but some good titles for sure.

Best of Luck.

Greg

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
My local wal-mart still has the bin since I recently got creepshow and suicide kings but i prefer the one in christianburg a few miles away with the $5.50 shelf!

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
Spice Girls has hit the Bin...
yea i saw this the other night and was tempted to buy every copy of it for old time's sake (i was a huge spice girls mark) but upon flipping it over and noticing that its FULL SCREEN only i dropped them all like a bad habit. hell the one i bought a few years ago was a flipper with both. ah well.. wal-mart edits can go to hell. :angry:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Matt, hit the Circuit City on Winchester. It has some copies of Spice Girls, for not much more cost. They are the flipper versions, I believe.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Seems like the bins in all my local Wal-Marts has hit the skids. Nearly emptied out (I HAVE seen Spice World). I've been looking for the older versions of Clear & Present Danger & Hunt for Red October for my dad. I think the holidays were a popular time at the bin trough.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Went to my third...and last...local Wal-Mart today in an attempt to find one of the Clancy movies. And it was the third devastated bin in a row.
FWIW, From Justin to Kelly has now been deemed bin-worthy.

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
i may have to check that out dave, but i'll end up with a stack of twenty if i'm not careful.

btw is there any chance that some of these movies (ex. my life or spice world) which were released having both full and wide on same disc, are actually the copy in the walmart case? maybe just a label change?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My local WalMart has gone to $5.50 for its bin too. But the movies in it are pretty much entirely crap (though I did score a Pretty Baby--a Paramount title for $5.50, a sure sign of the Apocalypse) or things I bought long ago for $20. No sign of Ford Fairlane or other goodies people are finding in their cheap bins.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks