What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Old Tarzan Movies??? (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
A company Called Ovation Home Video has a double bill of Glen Morris in "Tarzan's Revenge" and Gordon Scott In "Tarzan and the Trappers" on DVD.
But I'm assuming your talking about the classic Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan films here and since they're part of the early MGM film package that Warner Brothers owns,the answer would be don't hold your breath expecting to see them anytime soon.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Strictly speculating here, but I wouldn't be surprised if these films are never released on DVD. Reason? They are not considered acceptable in these culturally sensitive times. Quite frankly, some of these movies are blatantly racist. And the treatment of animals depicted in the movies is not acceptable by today's standards either.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
You're more than likely correct Jack, but PLEASE excuse me---To Hell With PC! Thank God they available on Laser.

Christian R

Agent
All the RKO Weismuller Tarzan films are available in Australia - quality varies from quite good for half of them to not too great for the other half. But then again they are INCREDIBLY CHEAP triple bill R0 DVDs. If you can play multi-regions they are definitely worth checking out - they are PAL but will work on your computer if you are at all interested.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I think I might check them out at an Aussie online store. Thanks for the tip Christian R. They could tide me over until a possble restoration. But it is more like to tide me over until I can locate the Laser boxset that I mistakenly passed on buying a few yrs ago.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
cool indeed, looks like I will be paying a vist to some down under site to purchase the Tarzan dvds
thanks again for the tip Christian R
:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
With WB putting so much more catalog fare out, is there any more of a chance that we might see these films?

Blu

Screenwriter
PC Schmeecee

Tarzan is a great figure in literature and cinema. They even have a town named after him.
The classic JW Tarzan movies are great and deserve a DVD release.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, there is a box set of some of the Weismuller films coming in 2004 from Warners. The exact films and release date hasn't been disclosed.
This information comes from an online interview with Warner home video here .
I've seen other websites make mention of the box set also.
My favorite Tarzan film is "Tarzan's New York Adventure". I hope that one makes the box set.

Werner_R

Stunt Coordinator
Paul is correct, Warner will release several Tarzan movies, at least in R2, somewhere in August:
"Beat your chest and get ready to swing from the curtains with a Tarzan extravaganza as Warner releases the classic Tarzan the Ape Man and a Johnny Weismuller box set plus Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan starring Christopher Lambert as the vine ape out of water in Edwardian England. "
The article mentions lot's of other great Warner titles coming in the next year.
http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=6095

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It was early this year, wasn't it?

Paul, my favorite is Tarzan's New York Adventure as well, followed by Tarzan's Secret Treasure. For all their silliness, they were fun movies to watch when growing up.

So, are these titles scheduled for Region 1?

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Yes, Warners will be releasing all the MGM Tarzan films in one big box set next year. It will have a documentary and other extras related to the films.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, Warners will be releasing all the MGM Tarzan films in one big box set next year. It will have a documentary and other extras related to the films.
Thanks John. AMC did a wonderful documentary on Tarzan several years back when they did a mega marathon of these films. I wonder if this is the documentary that is to be included?

The MGM Weismuller films were:

Tarzan the Ape Man - 1932 99 minutes
Tarzan and His Mate - 1934 105 minutes
Tarzan Escapes - 1936 90 minutes
Tarzan Finds a Son - 1939 90 minutes
Tarzan's Secret Treasure - 1941 82 minutes
Tarzan's New York Adventure - 1942 70 minutes

After the "NY Adventure" Maureen O'Sullivan left the series and RKO continued making the films with Johnny Sheffield and Weismuller staying on. There were 6 films in this run and Brenda Joyce played Jane in 4 of them.

After Weismuller left the series in 1948, a variety of actors carried on the role in a whole slew of films for RKO, MGM, and even Paramount.

Hopefully the RKO Weismullers will get a release one day as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks