What's new

The New World (2005) (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think I know what you mean, Sam, that there are edits that seem to jump to a different period of time or back and forth between different characters that may seem like they are at a different point in the timeline. It has been a long time since seeing this in the theater and in that period the only version of this film I have watched is the long cut so I can't quite recall the theatrical version and how that played but I think you are correct when you say there are cuts that seemed to traverse long periods of time. I have the Criterion but have not yet settled in to watch either the theatrical cut nor the 150 minute first cut because my preferred version is the long cut...which I think plays just fine and I don't find any confusion when watching it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Sam,
I never had an issue with the structure of the sequential timeline. it is evident what happens from point A to point B throughout the film. The most common complaint I have heard is stretches of the film with no dialogue at all or mostly inner monologue from the characters in a poetic fashion.
I love the film. I can tell you without a doubt after seeing the Extended cut that in my mind the theatrical cut should not even be brought up in discussion from this point on. The extended cut not only vastly superior visually, but fleshes the story out even more. More strikingly beautiful as it is heartbreakingly sad.
The extended cut is the only way to watch the film in my opinion.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just saw the extended cut 172 min for the first time. What an experience. An absolute instant masterpiece. I bump my rating to 10/10. Initially I saw the Theatrical Cut on DVD and while I was floored by the visuals and the music, I was troubled by the editing. To a degree that I wasn't even sure if the story was in sequence.

I had no such problem with this extended cut. The story flowed so much better and everything was clear to me. It was so easy to watch and not once I got bored. I still can see that the edits are not done in a conventional way and maybe that's why it was so jarring to me in the theatrical cut. For an example on the editing, the beginning when John Smith and his party are going to find the chief.

Now I'm curious to go back and rewatch the Theatrical Cut to see the differences. One day when I find my DVD, I will do it!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Sam,
I never had an issue with the structure of the sequential timeline. it is evident what happens from point A to point B throughout the film.
Yeah me too.
I did notice the interesting editing but felt it added to the dream like experience of the movie.

I was in tears at the end when I saw it at the movies because it was one of the most beautiful movies I ever saw.

I’m glad Sam broughtthis back up to remind me I need to watch that long cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks