What's new

HTF DVD REVIEW: The New World Extended Cut (1 Viewer)

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
While I can't speak for all the other digital copies out there, the one I have for this movie is 720 x 272 with a video bitrate of 4500 kbps and audio at 217 kbps.

So it's still below standard DVD quality, but certainly not too bad for being free, legit, and essentially region-free.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
What are the idiots thinking? The digital copy "WILL NOT WORK ON A MAC" This is 2008. Not 1998. Luckily I can run Windows inside-a lot faster and smoother on my PB that on my POS PC ! AND NO viruses, malware or hackers in 2 years of using XP for Mac-but...OT...

Terrence Mallick can do no wrong in my book
DAYS OF HEAVEN and now THE NEW WORLD

He could film paint drying-and somehow make it worth watching...

Kilchners charachter is pure wonder and a joy to watch-her delight in being ALIVE is 10 times that of any of the colonists-who have all the "latest" in gadgets, routines, Philosophies and Religions

Smith....a bastard-or too many commitments?
The sadness Kilchner portrays could be no more than if it were a real loss, as she shows on screen.

Her practice of talking to her MOTHER-we shall assume dead-unless she speaks to the Mother Earth itself, is a genius device to get into her head and understanding the much simpler, trusting and lovely young woman so full of wonder and love. That is the only hint of loss she lets show-hints of 'abandonment'
I dont know enough of the legend let alone history to know about this England move. She perished rather suddenly.

There was something so profound that she VO'd about her always being there, in the wind, in the trees, the sky for her son and husband, that were almost too much to bear watching-and yet you knew because she stated with such authority and belief that her joy and spirit soared as the film ended.

I missed DAS RHEINGOLD in the score-I like it and it became familiar as a gradual slow build up of discovery that it seemed to herald-what we had from Horner seemed of little consequence.

Im keeping both editions in a double amaray

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

The bitrate may be below average, but that resolution sounds like it doesn't have the black borders hard matted to the image but is otherwise the normal size.

If this were in any stores around, I'd check it out. Give the film another chance. No harm in that.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Thanks for the excellent news about this download of the original cut.

I have never done a digital download before. I understand your above instructions and I assume you have to download that "movie manager" program first before you can download the actual film, right? Once the film is downloaded on your hard-drive, can you burn that file onto a DVD-R and use that to watch it in a DVD player? I hate watching movies on the computer and would like a hard DVD-R copy of this version to keep in the DVD case and be able to watch it on my widescreen monitor.

Thanks for any other tech advice as I'm a real novice with this kind of stuff.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
Yeah, you have to download and install the CinemaNow Movie Manager to your PC before you can begin the download. Frustratingly, that program doesn't allow you to login and begin your movie download, so after you install and launch it you have to go back to CinemaNow, log in, and go to the My Videos page. Then your Movie Manager will start downloading the movie, based on the format you choose. "This PC" will get you the 2.47GB file, while the portable player version is 320 x 136 resolution and under 800MB.

Unfortunately, while CinemaNow does have some titles under "Burn to DVD," this is not one of them. While you can play it an unlimited number of times, it cannot be burned to DVD.

That's the price of "free," I guess.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
BTW, one of the reasons that most reviews of this DVD have not mentioned the particulars of the digital copy is that this feature did not go "live" until the DVD's street date. While most recnt Warner and New Line digital copy downloads have merely offered codes that let you unlock a reduced price download from CinemaNow, this one has no additional charges. The way you can tell in advance is by reading the fine print on the front of the packaging. If it says "additional charges [may] apply", then the download will be an extra $2-3. If not, such as with the "New World", then there are no extra charges.

This is a very high quality SD download. If you have a bottom end DSL connection it may take you over 16 hours to download it, but at least it looks good when it finally arrives.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Regards,

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
I actually have the Italian release so I don't really care (I never believed the extended cut would make it so I got the Italian from Xploited a while back)--but is the digital copy PC only?

i.e. me and my iMac are sol?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I set up a 40GB Boot Camp Windows XP partition for just such emergencies. It runs Windows better than my HP Media Center PC ever did.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Regards,

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I want to see this movie for the first time on HD. Is there any info that this could come out on BD? On any part of the world?

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
What a prehistoric site that downloading CinemaNow site is. I give up. First you have to find how to install the program which is hidden under a customer service link. Customer service, of course, has no way to directly contact anyone. You register on the site and then it forgets your registration and keeps asking you to sign in. Then, it says it's an invalid sign-in. You try to re-register and THEN they say the old one is valid but you can't log-in to it. The movie is in my cart and it has a download button. Click on that and nothing happens. What a load of crap.

WB - you suck. This is going back to Amazon. Next time you offer a free download, make sure your site works. Your CinemaNow is atrocious and I'll re-buy this disc when it's in the $5 bin instead of full-price now. CinemaNow my a**.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez

I take it that, being a Mac user, I will need Windows through Bootcamp or Parallels only to install the downloader and then download the video file, but it being a Windows Media Video file, I will then be able to play it in QuickTime thanks to the Flip4Mac wmv plugin... or am I wrong?

In any case, this convoluted method, and leaving us Mac users out, is just WRONG, Warner.

:thumbsdown:

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Agreed. It's not just Mac users either. PC users with iPods are also left without a portable option. Fortunately, Warner is starting to support Macs and iPods with digital copies on some of their SD titles such as Get Smart and the upcoming Star Wars: Clone Wars.

Regards,

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
Thanks, Ken.

I'll let you know how it turns out if I decide to take the risk (although I must say I feel inclined not to, if only to put my money –or rather to NOT put it– where my mouth is and boycott Warner's foul play).

:cool:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I keep hoping this will hit BD, but I might as well take advantage of the SD DVD while I can.

I'm not surprised about Horner's thoughts. You could tell from the "liner notes" in the score that this film was a brutal experience. I like Horner, but Malick is the director. It is his film, and it's my favorite film of the past decade, so I trust his choices. Looking forward to checking out the extended cut. I found the TC quite coherent, so more scenes will never bother me. Since I have the TC available as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks