What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Mandalorian (2019) - Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed it. I was surprised by the three guest stars. I think Lizzo and Jack Black were more of the "wanted to play an alien" and have fun...
Yeah, they certainly let Jack Black go big with his character. Dude was chewing scenery like it was going out of style and the episode was all the better for it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed it. It wasn’t the greatest episode but it was fun. It felt a bit like an episodic installment of Star Trek, a mostly self-contained story where our heroes resolve a problem. Still, anointing the new leader is a huge step forward.

I did not care for 2/3 of the guest stars. Lloyd, whom we knew was coming, was enjoyable, but the other two were far too silly for me. I loved the design of the city. Great stuff.

I find myself questioning why Grogu needed to be reunited with Mando in Book of Boba Fett. Grogu has been anything but essential to this season.

My biggest fear is that the season ends unresolved somehow and it’s another 18 mos-2 years for something new.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
It was a fun episode, and the cameos were amusing. They can’t all be serious. And now Bo Katan has the darksaber back, even if it was based on some pretty shaky reasoning, so the main story did move forward at the end.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Something I was thinking about earlier. There can't be many actors who have appeared in both the Star Wars and Star Trek franchises. I mention this because Christopher Lloyd now has that distinction. With the various series that are now streaming, I would expect more performers to join this 'club'.

I could (sort of) cheat and do a google search, but Lloyd is the only one that immediately comes to mind.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Well, if you count voice acting and animation then sure, the number is going to be much more substantial. I was thinking (but did not specify) live action roles where the actor is physically present.

- Walter.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
An entertaining if odd episode that seems to exist to showcase those 3 “cameos”.

I love the look of the planet Plazir-15. I love futuristic cities, so this was right up my alley. Would have liked to see some more.

The “side” quest took a lot of time. Not sure if it has further consequence later on. If not, then it doesn’t quite fit with the cadence of the main story.

The concept behind the passing of the dark sword to Bo reminded me of how the elder wand passed to Harry Potter in his novels.

It’s been an interesting if disorderly narrative this season. On one hand, there seems to be the objective of Din becoming Mandalorian again and regaining his place, but then there is also the side theme of showing reformed members of the former Empire sprinkled throughout. So… there doesn’t seem to be a lot of connecting tissue, but that makes it interesting (in a way) as we don’t know where it ultimately goes.

As for Grogu, he hasn’t been a major factor in most of the episodes. So it just seems like he’s there for the ride and to keep fans happy.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I love the look of the planet Plazir-15. I love futuristic cities, so this was right up my alley. Would have liked to see some more.

Completely agree. One of the more entertaining aspects of production design in SF is the development of futuristic cityscapes. The night sequences felt a little like Blade Runner or maybe Tron: Legacy with the use of the brightly lit neon exteriors. During the day the use of white textures, greenery, and glass made me think of Logan's Run. ( Which I have not viewed in over a decade, so my recollection is a bit vague. :) )

- Walter.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Here's the problem so far with this season (which I confess I have enjoyed): It's not about Mando (or Grogu). Only the beginning episodes, where he redeems himself in the eyes of his people, were about Mando personally -- and even then, it was Bo Katan who had to rescue him so he could be redeemed. Without her, he would have died. He's been an important player in everything that came after, but not the central player. Bo Katan is arguably this season's central character. To the extent some people may feel distant from these episodes, I think that's why.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Is Disney+ still moving forward with a SW series starring Bo Katan? If yes, then I am assuming that a lot of the reliance upon that character this season is done in service of launching that series. Din is definitely less of a primary factor in this season. I think of it as kind of a 'team effort' this season, with Grogu just along to look cute and act incorrigible at times. I am still enjoying the series and the season despite a very fractured narrative which feels like it is going all over the place. Hopefully the series will tighten up a bit down the home stretch.

- Walter.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
One thing I couldn't help pondering was there hasn't really been much in Star Wars deeply exploring AI and human response to it. It's stated that some people don't like droids, which was basically introduced in ANH's cantina scene, but the whole debate that has fueled franchise's and films from 2001 to the Matrix has not really been covered at all. This week's episode broached things a bit more, but it's still kind of an untouched subject, which I just find interesting.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
One thing I just remembered, didn't Mando want something for IG-11? The Ugnaughts probably would have been able to help if he still wanted to restore IG. It could be that now that he has been "redeemed" he no longer wants to do that. Still, that did come to mind.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Completely agree. One of the more entertaining aspects of production design in SF is the development of futuristic cityscapes. The night sequences felt a little like Blade Runner or maybe Tron: Legacy with the use of the brightly lit neon exteriors. During the day the use of white textures, greenery, and glass made me think of Logan's Run. ( Which I have not viewed in over a decade, so my recollection is a bit vague. :) )

- Walter.

Yeah, I love seeing shiny futuristic cities, like this depiction from Tomorrowland (2015)

1680794987431.png

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
One thing I just remembered, didn't Mando want something for IG-11? The Ugnaughts probably would have been able to help if he still wanted to restore IG. It could be that now that he has been "redeemed" he no longer wants to do that. Still, that did come to mind.

Yeah, I wonder if that IG-11 plot is going to come full circle by the end of the season. Or just ignored?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks