What's new

The Mandalorian (2019) - Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Maybe I'm the only one who is disappointed in this episode and Season 3 in general. About halfway through "The Return," I thought to myself...this should have been Episode 3 or 4 of the season, not the last one. We spent so much time doing all these side quests, it feels like the season is just starting. But, nope, it's over.

There are moments and pieces I enjoyed and appreciated. It looks great, as almost always. (The fact Bo Katan's hair is NEVER messed up after she takes off her helmet will always bug me, though.) I don't have a problem with the acting and even the final scene felt right for this show and character. I just didn't feel anything emotionally. Maybe I need to go back to the season and binge it when I have a few hours.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Maybe I'm the only one who is disappointed in this episode and Season 3 in general. About halfway through "The Return," I thought to myself...this should have been Episode 3 or 4 of the season, not the last one. We spent so much time doing all these side quests, it feels like the season is just starting. But, nope, it's over.

There are moments and pieces I enjoyed and appreciated. It looks great, as almost always. (The fact Bo Katan's hair is NEVER messed up after she takes off her helmet will always bug me, though.) I don't have a problem with the acting and even the final scene felt right for this show and character. I just didn't feel anything emotionally. Maybe I need to go back to the season and binge it when I have a few hours.

I agree.

Despite the throwaway episode with Lizzo, Jack Black, and Christopher Lloyd, this has been an excellent season.

I am probably saying this many years too late, but I am amazed at the level of production design that goes into these shows. These are movie-quality episodes. The only thing, for me, that doesn't put this show at a theatrical level is the lack of John Williams in the soundtrack.

Getting back to Jason's remarks, I agree that the focal point of this season came in the final two episodes. There should have been more of Moff Gideon from the start with continued interaction throughout the season. For him to suddenly show up in the final two episodes just seems off. No surprise, the last two episodes were the best of the season.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Oh one thing I forgot...

The destruction of the Dark Saber was far too easy for me. After all the commotion and drama about how important it is and what it means, Gideon is able to crush the hilt in Bo's hand...without crushing her hand in the process? And now it's gone? Maybe I need to rewatch that scene to make sure I have it right, but it doesn't sit well with me after one viewing.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh one thing I forgot...

The destruction of the Dark Saber was far too easy for me. After all the commotion and drama about how important it is and what it means, Gideon is able to crush the hilt in Bo's hand...without crushing her hand in the process? And now it's gone? Maybe I need to rewatch that scene to make sure I have it right, but it doesn't sit well with me after one viewing.

I think you have it right, Jason. It was too simple.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Good finale!

Agree that the fates and motivations of many of the Mandalorian were difficult to predict kept the episode interesting.

And Grogu! He’s been mostly a passenger this season, so it was good to see a more prominent role in this episode.

In a way, a pretty good season because it was less episodic and there was an overall objective for Din and the Mandalorians (take back their home). But there were some deviations that took too much time (Ep 3 and 6).

EDIT:
it did remind me of the film series in many ways. Moff saying “I’ll take care of it myself” recalled Vader. R5 mimicked some of R2’s actions. The multiple action scenes (Din vs Moff, attack on capital ship, mandos vs troopers) reminded me of ROTJ’s and TPM’s 3-way finale, etc.

And unrelated, the clones stuff recalled Aliens (eyes popping open) and Alien3.

Last edited:

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams

This is how I feel. This season just meandered too much for my taste, just like BoBF. Season 1 and 2 are so great, then BoBF has thrown everything off. They need to find their A game again or bring in some help from the Ando team because, that show has set a new standard for Disney+ SW shows.

I don't hate this season but, it just did not grab me and I found myself losing interest during some parts of most episodes, except the final 2.

Maybe it is not all Mando's fault. It probably doesn't help that recently I have seen so many great shows, Picard season 3 has overshadowed this each week. TLOU was one of my favorite shows in a long time. I mentioned Andor. I just watched Station Eleven which was fantastic. Maybe I was expecting, or wanting, too much from this season of Mando.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think he crushed her hand too.
I just rewatched it and she does scream, a little, when that happens. She also does not use that hand again for anything in the rest of the episode. The arm does kinda swing around in battle, but that's about it. I won't argue the point if it was crushed or not, but if it was, it wasn't really sold that way to me.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I am probably saying this many years too late, but I am amazed at the level of production design that goes into these shows. These are movie-quality episodes. The only thing, for me, that doesn't put this show at a theatrical level is the lack of John Williams in the soundtrack.
Way back when George Lucas was developing a live-action series about the Star Wars underground, he said that the most difficult thing was that "it's Star Wars," so it was like making a movie every episode.

One of the ways I think this season suffered was the music. I loved Ludwig Goransson's scores for the previous seasons, but this one used a different composer, Joseph Shirley, who turned in good music, but it was different in a way that the season didn't mesh with the earlier ones.

Speaking of comparisons to the film series, my son pointed out that the final confrontation was a lot like Episode I and Episode VI, where the duel was intercut with battles on the ground with troops and in the air with ships. It's a Star Wars thing.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Re: The Dark Saber

It looks like Gideon's hand was slightly above Bo Katan's so while I think her hand was hurt, it wasn't the main focus of his crushing grip. Clearly Gideon's suit was "power armor" with tech that provided strength augmentation, so crushing the hilt felt believable.

In episode seven, when Din reaffirmed his loyalty to Bo Katan, he made the point that it was "honor, loyalty, and character" that mattered to him, not a symbol of office. So perhaps the series is moving on from the Dark Saber.

On the other hand, if the show wants to go down the path of creating a new saber, then I could see Bo Katan seeking out Luke Skywalker for a bit of the 'how to", assuming her spin off series does materialize.

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Re: The Dark Saber

In episode seven, when Din reaffirmed his loyalty to Bo Katan, he made the point that it was "honor, loyalty, and character" that mattered to him, not a symbol of office. So perhaps the series is moving on from the Dark Saber.
I would say that is correct but for all of the Dark Saber's import through The Clone Wars & Rebels series and this one, it seems odd for it to be 'reduced' to just being
something that really meant nothing more than a way to make Bo Katan the leader of the Mandalorians.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I would say that is correct but for all of the Dark Saber's import through The Clone Wars & Rebels series and this one, it seems odd for it to be 'reduced' ...

My knowledge of the Dark Saber's importance to the SW universe, comes solely from the live action series on D+, so my experience with its signifigance is fairly restricted. With the announcement of the Ahsoka series I have begun playing catch up with the animated shows. Currently watching season one of The Clone Wars, which I am enjoying even though it feels like it is a YA show. (Got some catching up to do. :) )

- Walter.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
One SF series finale down, one to go.

I was satisfied with this finale for a number of reasons.

1) It tied up a lot of loose ends, and sets the stage for S4 where Mando gets back to what he does best

2) Moff Gideon is toast (we think). The man has had more escapes than Harry Houdini and there are enough other baddies to use. That extended burn clearly caught him and should have finished him. On my phone this AM was an article saying that the killed off one of their best characters (Gideon). I have to admit, he was fun to watch and Esposito nailed the role. Its a lot of fun watching actors play a baddie and you see they relish doing it. I am reminded of that when I watch Walton Groggins on Justified playing Boyd Crowder.

3) Grogu's relationship with Mando continues to develop. We also got some good force use by him and we see that the extended training time he spent with Luke has built up his reserves.

4) We got a ton of action. This must have been a high water mark for the FX budget. Of note, while watching the credits, the concept drawing of the clone room, had more transparent tanks where you could see the bodies, but they shot it with mostly obscured tanks, with just 1 readily recognizable cone (IIRC). That looked like a cost savings.

5) Mando may have gotten a jetpack, but he clearly doesn't know how to use it in melee combat. We have seen multiple mandalorians using it for quick acceleration to knock an opponent down. In the scene with Mando and the 3 red suited troopers/imperial guards, he wasn't using it at all. Same with the Moff Gideon battle. Really? Good thing he kept it and didn't use it when he needed to.

6) Bo Katan vs Moff Gideon. One of the worst things I have seen in single saber vs saber staff combat (Phantom Menace), is when the person with the single blade doesn't use common sense and go for the middle of the staff. Even if it didn't disable the opponent's weapon entirely it would change their tactics and threat level. At least here, it made logical sense when Gideon's weapon took a hit it had a beskar shaft and wasn't effected.

7) Dark Saber destruction. My first thought was "go find Luke". I thought its destruction was silly, for an item of such import. I was glad to see Bo Katan knew how to use it for going through an armored door in the last ep. But maybe she had that knowledge previously as shown in Clone Wars.

8) Irony. Looking back, in the "previously shown" scene at the start, Moff Gideon telling the other guy that "clones are more your line" is funnier now.

No, I don't think this show should ever by like Andor. Its its own show, with a lot of slow development. That would turn off a bunch of fans. Not the Way.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My son raised a good point: Jango Fett was a Mandalorian foundling, raised to be a Mandalorian. His son Boba Fett is accepted as a Mandalorian. (Din Djarin found Boba’s claim to the armor to be valid.) Jango was the template for all of the Empire’s clones. Does that make the surviving clones Mandalorians? After all, Boba is a clone of Jango, albeit one that aged naturally. Would Rex, the Bad Batch and others be accepted into Mandalorian society?

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My son raised a good point: Jango Fett was a Mandalorian foundling, raised to be a Mandalorian. His son Boba Fett is accepted as a Mandalorian. (Din Darin found Boba’s claim to the armor to be valid.) Jango was the template for all of the Empire’s clones. Does that make the surviving clones Mandalorians? After all, Boba is a clone of Jango, albeit one that aged naturally. Would Rex, the Bad Batch and others be accepted into Mandalorian society?
I don't know if that's an issue that has been addressed but I would think that since the clones were raised as soldiers by and for the Republic and have no connection to Mandalorian culture, they wouldn't be viewed as Mandalorians. Boba Fett, on the other hand, was at least raised by a Mandalorian.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks