What's new

THE LONE GUNMEN on DVD (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
There are errors in the airing order of "Agua Mala" and "The Unnatural", as well as an error regarding Jeffrey Spender that resulted from "Arcadia" being aired later than expected. Also, there's an error between "The Lone Gunmen" and "The X-Files" where Mulder's resurrection is mentioned in "LGM" before it happened in "The X-Files". If you really wanted to spend a lot of time creating a custom-playlist, you could, but I find that airdate order works probably 95% of the time and I understand the times when it doesn't so I'm just gonna watch them the way they aired as a rule. As for my upcoming super-marathon, I'd already start it but I want to watch "The Lone Gunmen" and "Millennium: Season 3" without interruption once before I re-watch them in context.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Oh that's right. I knew the continuity didn't work exactly right for XF and TLG (as was said earlier in the thread) but I did forget those other ones.

"As for my upcoming super-marathon, I'd already start it but I want to watch "The Lone Gunmen" and "Millennium: Season 3" without interruption once before I re-watch them in context."

I just watched Genderbender today so I figure/hope that Millennium: Season Three will be out by the time I get up to those episodes. Hopefully that choice won't come back and bite me in the ass:)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
It comes out on June 14th and it should be watched alongside Season 6 of "The X-Files" so you have about two and a half months. I'm thinking when I start that I'm gonna strictly adhere to one episode a day, which will take the better part of a year. There are 290 altogether, plus the movie.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Bill, the order of the LGM episodes on the DVDs are correct (because the last episode aired should have aired before the season finale and FOX dropped the ball on that one (but at least they did air the episode- even though it was out-of-order)).

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
It's in the correct production order, it's in the correct storyline order, but it is not in the correct airdate order like every other Ten Thirteen release. I'm not losing any sleep over it, I can watch them in whatever order I choose, I just happen to believe that they should be presented in airdate order. As I've said before, all the other Ten Thirteen releases have strictly adhered to airdate order, even in certain cases where that order was not the originally intended order. Like "The Cap'n Toby Show" coming between "All About Yves" and "Jump The Shark", there are inconsistencies that resulted in certain "X-Files" episodes being postponed by a matter of weeks for technical reasons (primarily "Arcadia" and "The Unnatural"). These errors could have been corrected on "X-Files" releases but they weren't, and I would have preferred it if the "Lone Gunmen" series would have obeyed that same rule. Still, it's practically a non-issue. I'll watch them in the order they aired, everyone else can watch them in whichever order they choose.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
The airdate order of LGM was never intended to be the intended order on the DVDs (I'm a firm believer in the intended order of the episodes (by the producers) over the airdate order).

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

And, as I said before, the airdate order of Season 6 of "The X-Files" was compromised and is presented out-of-intended order on the DVD. I believe that airdate order should almost always be followed on DVD, but as I've said from the beginning, even when it looked like the DVD would be presented in my preferred airdate order, I stressed that it was a non-issue since ththe viewer can watch the episodes in any order he or she likes. Had "The Lone Gunmen" been a standalone series, I would have probably been more flexible on the presentation order, but as a fan of consistency among DVD releases in a series I have to object to the shuffling of presentation order. So, in a matter of days, I'll be watching "The Lone Gunmen" on DVD, and when the DVD prompts me to watch "The Cap'n Toby Show", I will remove the disc, flip it over, watch "All About Yves" before flipping the disc over again to watch "ABY". To further aggrivate people who can't grasp this concept, I will then watch "Jump the Shark", thus viewing the 14 episodes included in this set in the order in which the television-viewing public watched them.

DanielW

Grip
Bill, while I don't begrudge your airdate watching principles, I wish that the DVD for any show always adhered to the producer's intended order. It's usually easy to find out the production order or the airdate order via the Internet, but 1013 never seems to stick with either method. It's much harder to determine what the intended order is.

However, you could watch Lone Gunmen in the airdate order and it would still make sense. "Jump the Shark" aired pretty far into the season 9 run, if I remember, so the "Cap'n Toby Show" could occur anywhere between the season finale and that episode.

Did "Cap'n Toby" ever air in the US? Just wondering, if it didn't, would you just not watch it?

On a side note, I'm just now coming to season 6 in The X-Files. What inconsistency is with "Arcadia" and "The Unnatural"? If I remember from the original airings, both were typical Monster of the Week fare, albeit entertaining MOTW episodes. I'll probably stick to the DVD order anyway, but I am curious.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I watched the X Files to the end, however i only REALLY like the first 5 years. I never saw LGM should i do a blind buy?

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
"Cap'n Toby" aired in the US a couple of weeks after the series ended, I'm glad FOX has the correct order on the DVDs though.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Still haven't gotten a chance yet. I'll probably start this weekend though. Looking at the reviews, I can't wait to hear the commentaries. And I'm 'glad' that they left the pilot intact as creepy (and sad) as it may be now.

Am I the only one who has trouble keeping up with watching all my discs? Somehow I doubt:)

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
My set just arrived today from Amazon. Only made it through the pilot once with a little bit of that episode's commentary in a second look. I was a bit shocked to see three DVD-10s in the set as I thought those things were finally phased out. From David's review, I was assuming that Disk 3 was a DVD-18 and the others were DVD-9s, but no such luck. Despite the fact that three episodes are crammed onto Side 1 of Disk 1, the pilot isn't too badly compressed. Hopefully the rest are OK. This recent cramming practice at Fox is starting to annoy me though.

Taking a quick gander at Disk 2, it appears that my disk was labelled backwards. The Side A episodes are on the labelled Side B and vice versa. The volume labels (read from the file structures via my DVD-RW drive) are inverted in comparison to the labels as well, so it appears to be a replication plant error. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

Additional: Another thing. Anyone else have a bright orange circular sticker covering the new FBI Anti-Piracy Warning logo on the back of the main box (and inside the shrinkwrap as well). What is up with that?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched the pilot last night and enjoyed it a lot. The plot was a bit eerie, but I'm glad they had the guts to put it out there uncensored. I always liked these characters and the show was good, even if it got silly at times. Looking forward to enjoying the rest of the series on DVD.

James D

Second Unit
Michael-my set came from Amazon also and it did not have the orange sticker that you described. The discs were also labeled correctly on my set.:)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I've watched the first two discs and I'm gonna finish off the set tonight. I had the sticker on mine, too, and my Disc 2 was incorrectly labeled. In any case, the show isn't presented in strict production order or intended order. Two episodes (I believe it was "Three Men and a Smoking Diaper" and "Madam, I'm Adam") were aired out of production order and they're presented that way on the set. I don't get why they wouldn't go one way or the other, both valid presentation orders are compromised. In any case, I would have preferred a 4-single-sided-disc set more like the other Ten Thirteen releases, which had up to 4 episodes per disc plus a disc of extras (and up to two episodes if there was a remainder). I hope Fox doesn't go cheap with the flippers on "Millennium" Season 3, but I'm pretty sure that they'll release that one as a six disc set like the others because it's already been released that way in the UK.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

I believe these are DVD-14s - 1 side with 2 layers, and 1 side with 1 layer. I don't think Fox would put something out on DVD-10, since they use DVD-9s for most of their products. I know they used DVD-14s for Pretender as well.

Gord

Michael Sliger

Second Unit

Well, here are the data sizes of my disks.

Disk 1: Side A: 4.33 GB, Side B: 4.22 GB
Disk 2: Side A: 4.36 GB, Side B: 4.31 GB
Disk 3: Side A: 4.36 GB, Side B: 4.36 GB

Look like DVD-10s to me. If they actually planned on using DVD-14s, it appears that someone didn't get the memo.

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
I can confirm that they're definitely DVD-10's. The packaging is labeled "Double Sided, Single Layer" (not that that necessarily means anything, but it's true in this case). The volume labels on Disc 2 are reversed on my copy from Amazon as well.

I also got the mysterious orange sticker covering the FBI piracy warning on the outer sleeve. But the warnings on the inner slim cases are not covered. Very strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks