What's new

THE LONE GUNMEN on DVD (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

RossMan

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,
I'm currently going through the entire run of X Files seasons and will being doing the Lone Gunmen as well. I was wondering if anyone can help with where the Lone Gunmen series fits into the season of the X Files? Is just mixed into the last two seasons of X Files? Wasn't there an episode of the X Files that lead into the Lone Gunmen series and then an X Files episode that wrapped up the Lone Gunmen? I would like to watch them in the correct order...

Thanks.

RossMan

AlexSchwarz

Stunt Coordinator
RossMan, the "Lone Gunmen"-season should be watched during the eigth season of "X-Files", with the LGM-finale BEFORE the the the end of the XF-season, but well after DeadAlive.

There is a little problem though because the season 9-premiere will pick up a little detail from the LGM-finale...but latter won't make a lot of sense when being watched after Existence....don't want to spoil anything, I don't know how much you know already.

Have fun!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Tough question... sorta. The bulk of The Lone Gunmen series takes place during Season Eight of The X-Files. However, the season finale of The Lone Gunmen must happen after the Season Eight finale of The X-Files and before the opening of Season Nine but those X-Files are separted by a few hours. Long story short, the continuity doesn't exactly match up.

And to complicate matters, there was an episode of TLG (The Cap'n Toby Show) that was left over and was aired during the summer so that one is totally out of order. The DVD will probably have the 'proper' order for the episodes.

Overall, my advice is to look at the airdates on the booklets and watch them in airdate order (and watch the 'out-of-order' episode in its proper place) and just ignore that the last two Season Eight episode of The X-Files don't match up with TLG's finale. I hope this made some sense :)

EDIT: Started to type, left my computer, and Alex beat me to the punch... and he was more articulate.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

That's doubtful. Every Ten Thirteen DVD has presented the episodes strictly in order of original airing (even in the handful of cases where the airing order was not the intended order), not production order.

Edit: according to a post on the show's IMDB page, the presentation on the DVD breaks down like this (it's airing order, not production order, btw):

Disc One, Side One
Episodes:
Pilot
Bond, Jimmy Bond
Eine Kleine Frohike

Disc One, Side Two
Episodes:
Like Water For Octane
Three Men and a Smoking Diaper

Special Features:
Episode Commentary

Disc Two, Side One
Episodes:
Madam, I'm Adam
Planet of the Frohikes
Maximum Byers

Disc Two, Side Two
Episodes:
Diagnosis Jimmy
Tango De Los Pistoleros

Special Features:
Episode Commentary

Disc Three, Side One
Episodes:
The Lying Game
All About Yves

Disc Three, Side Two
Episodes:
The Cap'n Toby Show

Special Features:
Episode Commentary
The X-Files: Jump The Shark with episode commentary
Making Of/Retrospective
TV Spots: Pilot, Bond, Jimmy Bond, Eine Kleine Frohike, Like Water For Octane, Three Men and a Smoking Diaper, Madam, I'm Adam, Planet of the Frohikes, Maximum Byers, Diagnosis: Jimmy, Tango De Los Pistoleros, The Lying Game, All About Eve, The Cap'n Toby Show.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but I'm hoping that since that episode is so obviously out of order, they'll 'correct' it. The airdate order has always worked with their other releases but not on this series. Especially since The X-Files episode 'Jump The Shark' is included, it will make The Cap'n Toby Show seem really out of whack. If they don't, the last three episodes will be Part One to another episode to Part Two (sorta) .

Guess we'll know for sure in two weeks though:)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
see the edit above. It looks like it's in airdate order after all, if the IMDB post is accurate. I think that's definitely the way to go. You can watch them in whatever order you want, but I'd rather have them present the order in which they were aired and keep with the presentation that has been preserved on the other 13 seasons on DVD produced by Ten Thirteen.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info. Good point too about it maintaining airdate order and you can still re-arrange it if you so desire. :)

Now onto Millennium: Season Three- the last of the 1013 DVDs. Sniff sniff...

camilo_m

Agent
So, Chris Carter is an amazing creator. He did the classic" X-Files", and now, "The Lone Gunmen", which I think is amazing too. It's the spin-off of the X-Files series, featuring the trio of computer hacking, conspiracy geeks popularly known as The Lone Gunmen.
And they are already releasing the first season on Dvd, which is coming ouy on March 29th, with all of those bonus, extras and etc, as usual.
Anyone else here is into The Lone Gunmen???

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Lone Gunmen was one of the many FOX shows cut short, way ahead of it's time. It is not the first season, but rather the complete series. Either way... it is a must have.

ry/

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Linda, quit spoiling my fun! :p)

Oh, well, yeah. Taking a cue from Travis, IMDB got it wrong. Carter did something for Disney Channel called "The Nanny" (which didn't involve Fran Drescher at all!) back in 1987, between S1 and S2 of "Rags To Riches" and shortly after doing another failed TV pilot, "Cameo by Night".

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

Don't think of it as "spoiling your fun"...think of it as "safeguarding your reputation as the infallible font of knowledge of all things TV"... (Uh...yeah...that's it...!)

Just didn't wanna see somewhere down the line where somebody either took it as gospel and said "Well, Guru Lambert said...blah, blah, blah" and repeated it as truth...OR...somebody knew it was total malarky and said "That Lambert dude has NO CLUE what he's talking about..." (Can't have anybody messin' with my heroes' reps, y'know... :wink: )

:)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Well, according to this review, the DVD is presented with "The Cap'n Toby Show" before "All About Yves", which would be the first (and only) time a Ten Thirteen show has been presented in production order as opposed to the order of airdates. Of course, the interview also claims that David Duchovny never appeared on the show, when he made a cameo in "All About Yves", but I'm inclined to believe that the order is correct in the review. In any case, continuity be damned, I'll be watching them in the order they aired.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Bill, just out of curiosity why would you not want to watch them in 1013's 'intended' order? I mean I see why you would want to preserve the airdate order but it seems like the intended order is more important than the actual order.

To each his own but like I said, I'm curious:)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I've watched each other Ten Thirteen DVD release in the order they've been arranged on the DVD's: strict airdate order (even on "The X-Files" where there are some mistakes as a result of it) and I'll be watching Season 3 of "Millennium" in proper airdate order when it's released so I'm not gonna make an exception for "The Lone Gunmen". Similarly, I've rarely re-watched any of my 1013 DVD's (or any of my TV shows on DVD, for that matter) and once all 14 seasons are available on DVD, I'm gonna try to watch all 4 shows and "Fight the Future", all mixed together, in strict airdate order over the span of several months.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
What errors have occured when those shows ran out of prodcuction order? Some two parters were designed to run out of production order such as Christmas Carol and Emily or Owls and Roosters.

"and once all 14 seasons are available on DVD, I'm gonna try to watch all 4 shows and "Fight the Future", all mixed together, in strict airdate order over the span of several months."

Funny you mention that because I've already started doing that same thing (and I will also be watching The Lone Gunmen in the airdate order too:) I just recently started watching one episode a day every day so it'll take me the better part of the year but I don't think I have the time to watch them any faster. Now, I just have to hope that Millennium: Season Three is released by September or so.

I gotta say too that watching all these old episodes again is really fun. When you start, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself too:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks