What's new

The Great Chinese Recipe Thread! (1 Viewer)

Devin U

Second Unit
Gotta bump this. I remembered Lew's Chicken Rice recipie, and thought I would try it. So far, so good.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Since that time, I’ve found a restaurant in the area that servers Singaporean food.
Good for you! Food is one of the few things we can really feel a little proud about IMHO (there's just waaay too much propaganda about how we're allegedly good at this or that, all hype and hot air if you ask me). Of course, the Malaysians disagree... :D

(about the food, that is, they think their food is even better)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
(about the food, that is, they think their food is even better)
Absolutely! Singapore is one of the great food cities of the world. Where else will people confer as to the sole hawker stall that severs the absolute best ‘pig part soup’?

I’ve had very fine food in KL, but for me the real standard is Singapore, which has a little of everything and has very successfully married lots of different cuisines: fish head curry and roti prata to name just two.

Sort of Indian but not really. Sort of Chinese, but not really. Plus Singapore has as good straits cooking as Malysia.

BTW Yee-Ming, Lion City, our local Singaporean restaurant has a Chinese menu that is handed to the Ang Mos.. But by now the owner hands me the Singaporean menu when I sit down.

Great stuff.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
on my recent trip to oahu, i found, near the city of kailua, one of the most *awesome* chinese restaurants. it was like amazing...i thought i was back in monterey park.

they had all the great exotic foods, well prepared, and reasonably priced. the place was first rate chinese...i was in heaven!

heck, i even had a pushy old chinese lady shove me out of the way so she could go to the bathroom. now tell me...does it get any more authentic then that? :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
heck, i even had a pushy old chinese lady shove me out of the way so she could go to the bathroom. now tell me...does it get any more authentic then that?
Only if she also stood right behind you while you were eating, in order to hurry you along (the sooner to get the table, for those of limited experience). :D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
in order to hurry you along
true that!

i still remember the time i encountered this first-hand. my family had just finished eating, when the waiter brought us the bill .... and just stood there.

i asked my uncle wtf he was doing and my uncle just laughed and explained to me.

i was floored. to this day, i consider that a true benchmark of an authentic asian restaurant. :laugh:

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
There's going to be a potluck at work on Tuesday, and I offered to make fried rice with the family recipe. Last night was my very first try, and it turned out pretty much flavorless and with too much soy sauce. The trick is to put in the right amount of seasoning (salt and some stuff my mom got from Taiwan), and all my mom says is to "put in a little bit of this and a little bit of that", but I'm like a scientist. I have to get exact measurements every time, even for ramen noodles (noodles + 2 cups water), which I've made 1000 times. I came upon this recipe, which I'm going to try later today. I'd welcome any fried rice recipes you HTFers may have.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Overseasoning with soy sauce is my biggest cooking pet peeve. With fried rice it's mostly just for coloring and I've learned using light soy is better in terms of controlling the amount. I noticed that recipe has neither soy sauce or oyster sauce, which I use when I make fried rice. I'm also the non-measuring type (when it comes to fried rice at least).

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Mmm,...ketchup, yes. Similar to omu-rice, the Japanese egg, ketchup, and rice comfort dish.

I've always liked Chinese saugages in my fried rice.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I have to get exact measurements every time, even for ramen noodles
That's no way to cook :) Even in that recipe you linked, it's salt to taste, because no one can say how salty you like things, and there may be variables in the recipe, like is the meat already seasoned? Add a little salt/soy, try it; does it need more? After a while, you can figure a ballpark amount for what you like with a given recipe.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
That's no way to cook
I’m going out on a limb being a non-Asian, but (what we call) fried rice, is really just another way to use leftovers.

The amount of leftovers that anyone has, depends on what was not eaten the day (or days) before. It follows that getting and using exact measurements for this dish is an exercise in futility.

OTOH, there are plenty of recipes that require exactness for success.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I'll go with the consensus here and say that using exact measurements for fried rice is just strange. What do you have in the frig? What do you like? Any combination of materials could probably work. Start the heat, and go! I tend to find stir fry or pan frying stuff fairly intuitive, but if you don't, I think recipes can help most on procedural issues, but not on what is actually inside the dish; that's for each person to decide.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Reminds me: back in my university hostel (college dorm to you Americans), Sunday lunch was, 5 times out of 6, fried rice. I actually had a bottle of barbecue sauce which I would bring down (to the canteen) specially. In retrospect, it sounds weird doesn't it, fried rice with barbecue sauce?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
You can add anything to Fried Rice, including leftovers.

I went to one Chinese restuarant who had something of a raisin fried rice where they had white raisins in it... Kind of an odd taste but wasn't bad, just different.

Jay

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
timely revival of this thread. we made turkey juk right after the holiday ... it was totally yummy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks