What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: One Upon A Time In Mexico (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Me too! Too bad she is barely in this movie.

And as others have stated, this was not a little dissapointing but it was a HUGE dissapointment for me. The first two especially Desperado were so cool and fun, this one just plain sucks. I hated it and it was probably the biggest dissapointment of the year for me. I even enjoyed Tomb Raider 2 more than this and that says a lot! This will be a NO buy or even rent for me. On a positive note, Johnny Depp was very good in it and was the only entertainment I got out of the entire film.

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
I watched this again tonight and appreciate it more now. The image was great too one of the best I've seen(can't comment on sound since I watched it on my computer at college with crappy speakers).Something tells me this'll be a superbit in the future but it's good enogh for me at this point.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I watched it last night while listening to the feature-length commentary by Robert Rodriguez. If you have never listened to his commentaries, they are some of the most energetic and interesting commentaries on DVD.

I also found after watching some of the extras that while the film was released with a 2.35 to 1 ratio, it wasn't shot in that ratio, but was shot in 1.78 to 1 and then cut down for the theatrical release.

Overall, I think the transfer looks gorgeous. The color saturation and overall level of detail are terrific.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Watched this last night and while the film was Ok, the Rodriguez extras were far superior.

I never had this much fun and learned so much from Special Features on a DVD.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
"I even enjoyed Tomb Raider 2 more than this". Now that's a quote I never thought I would hear in a million years. I have to disagree wholeheartedly with such a statement, but that's just my .02 on the subject.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Dome & Jeff, I TOTALLY agree with you EXCEPT....

I just wish she was taller. Say 5'8"...THEN she'd be perfect! (For me anyway). :D

By the way, Salma, if you're reading this I would still worship you.

I thought the film was merly ok, and somewhat disappointing. What really pissed me off, though , was

Rodriguez killed off Salma! It was like when they killed Newt and Hicks for Alien 3!

:angry:

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
In a moment of inspiration, after watching the 10 Minute Cooking School segment, I went ahead and cooked up a batch of Puerco Pibil myself by following Rodriguez's instructions. Turned out fantastic. Very tasty dish.

Since I was the cook, I didn't feel like shooting myself though.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor

Haha .. me and a friend we had a good time with that segemnt as well. We both decided that we will have menus like Rodriguez in the kitchen :)

Although mine will only have tea and pasta on it at this point.

While I was watching the extras on the DVD, all I kept thinking was .. Is there anything Rodriguez cannot do?

The guy definetelly knows how to inspire you ...

This is quite possibly the greatest single disc special edition ever made.

Not a wasted moment.

And I can't wait for the Rodriguez Ten Minute F**KING school... because seriously, I could use some help.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I reviewed this DVD for my site (ENTERLINE MEDIA) just over two weeks ago. I love the DVD and I love the movie. And for those who hated Salma's character getting killed off, Rodriguez could always do a prequel to this movie and fill in more gaps. As for Johnny Depp, I liked his performance in this movie better than Pirates (which has to be one of the starngest and most muddled performances I have ever seen).

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks