What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Broadcast TV The Good Place - Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't think we know how many years have passed on Earth from when they knew Simone and when she died. I thought they could pluck people out from any time on Earth.

The show's writers would have to answer that question since it gets into the technical Jeremy Beriamy of it all. However, sSince they were just on Earth recently, and the setting up the new experiment, I don't think it's been very long. Certainly, Simone looks to be the same age as she was when Chidi and the group knew her. I don't think the Bad Place can reach into the future for their victims. We'll see in September.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Great show; memorable ending. I'm also glad to see the show gaining some nominations love from various TV awards groups. Maybe the EMmys will finally discover it this year. (Danson got a nomination last year, didn't he?)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yes, Danson was nominated last year (and Bell was nominated this year.) Neither of them won.

But I think the show itself is kind of a problem for Emmy voters, not because it isn't good, but because it is so serialized. It builds upon what has come before in such a way as it's difficult to jump on board midstream. The impact of Chidi's latest mind wipe, for example, only hits you if you've seen the show for the last three years and know what Eleanor and Chidi have endured to get here, only to have him decide he must give that up. Because the show is so great at remembering its own history and giving the characters satisfying arcs that take into account their evolution as people, it also makes it more difficult to watch just a few episodes that are submitted for Emmy consideration and get the most out of them.

I wouldn't want to change the show, because the fact that it's like that is a large part of its appeal for me. However, I feel like it's an uphill battle for it to get major awards consideration this far into the story that they're telling.

I'd love to be wrong since I think the show absolutely deserves to have such recognition.

But I feel like at this point, you're probably either in or out (unless someone binges the previous seasons on Netflix, but Emmy voters probably don't have the time to do that.)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Upcoming fourth season of "The Good Place" will be the show's last:
NBC Press Release said:
  • Michael Schur, creator and executive producer of NBC and Universal Television’s “The Good Place,” made the following announcement Friday night at the Television Academy in North Hollywood during a panel discussion dedicated to the critically acclaimed comedy series.
  • NBC’s “The Good Place” will conclude following its upcoming 2019-20 fourth season that begins in the fall.
  • “After ‘The Good Place’ was picked up for season two, the writing staff and I began to map out, as best we could, the trajectory of the show. Given the ideas we wanted to explore, and the pace at which we wanted to present those ideas, I began to feel like four seasons – just over 50 episodes – was the right lifespan. At times over the past few years we’ve been tempted to go beyond four seasons, but mostly because making this show is a rare, creatively fulfilling joy, and at the end of the day, we don’t want to tread water just because the water is so warm and pleasant. As such, the upcoming fourth season will be our last.

“I will be forever grateful to NBC and Universal TV for letting us make ‘The Good Place,’ and for letting us end it on our own schedule. I will also be forever grateful to the creative team, both on-screen and off, for their hard work and dedication to a very weird idea. We ask the question very frequently, on this show, what do we owe to each other? The answer, for me, is: I owe all of you a whole lot.

“We look forward to a great final season airing this fall.”
  • “Since day one, ‘The Good Place’ has been a seminal show for us and one that hits all the NBC touch points – incredibly smart, funny, inventive and emotional,” said Lisa Katz and Tracey Pakosta, Co-Presidents of Scripted Programming, NBC Entertainment. “We know the audience will love what Mike Schur and his writers have in store for the final season.”
  • For the 2018-19 season, “The Good Place” averaged a 1.6 rating in adults 18-49 and 4.6 million viewers overall in “live plus seven day Nielsens,” and more than doubled to a 3.3 rating in 18-49 after 35 days of linear and projected non-linear viewership.
  • Counting digital viewership only, “The Good Place” was up season to season by 38% in 18-49.
  • “The Good Place” delivered the season’s #1 most educated audience among all primetime Big 4 programs, indexing at a 156 in adults 18-49 with four or more years of college (with 100 representing an average concentration of those viewers).
  • Since its launch in 2016, “The Good Place” has won the AFI Award for Program of the Year, TCA Award for Program of the Year, a Humanitas Award and a Peabody Award. In addition, the series has been nominated for a Golden Globe Award, Writers Guild Award, Producers Guild Award and Critics’ Choice Award.
  • Critics have raved about the first three seasons of “The Good Place.” The New York Times Magazine says it’s “the best sitcom on TV,” TVLine calls it the “#1 comedy on television” and Vanity Fair adds, “‘The Good Place’ remains the brightest beacon of light currently on television.”
  • Ted Danson has won a Critics’ Choice Award and was nominated for an Emmy Award.
  • “The Good Place” stars Ted Danson, Kristen Bell, William Jackson Harper, Jameela Jamil, Manny Jacinto and D’Arcy Carden.
  • Michael Schur, David Miner, Morgan Sackett and Drew Goddard executive produce.
  • “The Good Place” is produced by Universal Television, Fremulon and 3 Arts Entertainment.
MEDIA CONTACTS
Gary Mednick, [email protected], 818-777-3021
Allison Ivers, [email protected], 818-777-1327
Meghan Johnson, [email protected], 818-777-0776

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I was just about to post the same thing, @Adam Lenhardt.

Here's an interview that Mike Schur did with The Hollywood Reporter where he goes into more detail about the decision. Also, he confirms that the final season will be 14 episodes -- one more than usual -- including an hour-long series finale.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/good-place-end-season-4-nbc-1207303

Gotta say, it bums me out that we won't be able to spend more time with these characters but I totally get it and respect it and look forward to seeing the end. I really hope they stick the landing.

Also, the Judge said this would happen last year; after giving Michael permission to redo the Fake Good Place experiment, she said that they have one year to do this and then, one way or the other, this is going to end. (The episode is no longer in my DVR, but if any of you have it, you can find the exact quote. I'm sure it's there.)

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
And NBC is showing a lot of faith in this show by choosing it to anchor their Thursday night lineup playing it at 9 p.m.

Its position in the anchor spot is all the more interesting with the final season announcement because this means it's not a long-term move. (I know it always gets replaced in midseason, but they're used to that; previously, it has returned in the same time slot each fall, except for last season when they rolled the final three or so episodes to 9:30.) When it was announced as the anchor position, I figured they would leave it there in terms of the fall schedule until the end of its run -- which they are, but I didn't think the run would end this soon.

My point is they'll have to find something else to anchor it next fall, so putting The Good Place there is a temporary scheduling solution, not a permanent fixture.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm not unhappy with the announcement. Given everything that's happened in the three previous seasons, 14 more episodes sounds about right to finish the story. It's been a wonderful ride thus far.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You beat me to it again, Adam. I was going to post that in here after responding to your post in the Captain Marvel thread.

One of the questions I have that could probably be answered without too much spoilers -- and I'm surprised that no one has asked this of Schur yet -- is whether the series regular ranks are expanding this season or not. Will the four new experiment subjects be recurring or are they going to be in every episode? If the new experiment does not last for the entire season, what happens to those new characters when they are no longer experiment subjects? Are they folded into the core group, or not? (Of course, this depends on what the outcome of the experiment is.)

But what I'm getting at is that thhe new characters can certainly be substantial and important additions to the ensemble -- and certainly the fate of all the people in the world is major stakes and that's important -- but as a fan, I'm most interested in what the endgame is for Eleanor, Chidi, Tahani, Jason, Michael and Janet. These are the characters that we've been following since the beginning and these are the characters whose personal endings I am most invested in. So it's going to be interesting to see how they balance that with the influx of new characters resulting from the new experiment.

That being said, I can't wait to find out what happens.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Being the final season, I wouldn't be surprised if any new characters were recurring rather than series regulars. The reason to incur the expense of paying a series regular is to keep that actor available to you for the long term. In this case, there isn't a long term, so the actors only need to be available for the length of the season's shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks