What's new

"The Future-Proof Anchor to Your Entertainment Needs" - WOW (1 Viewer)

eddieZEN

Second Unit

Highly unlikely, esp. coming from Onkyo which IMHO is great for having tons of features, good looks, mechanical reliability, and user-friendliness but not all that great on music SQ and also is known to inflate their RMS specs. Have also read that they have a protection circuit which halves the power output as soon as you come near reference levels, even on their high end models...don't know if this one is any different.

Also I'd envision a "future-proof" receiver as one which allows you the option of using direct digital processing like the Panasonic XR50/70s do with their TI chips, as well as having super high quality DACs for non-digital sources. Ability to go down to 4-ohm speakers would be key, and I'd also expect bi-amping capability for the front mains.

Not that I could ever actually AFFORD such a receiver, but it's nice to dream! ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
With only 2 component inputs, it's already obsolete as an all-in-one AV management system. To be fully prepared, you need at least six component inputs: three video game systems, DVD, HDTV input, and computer display input.

Aside from that, it looks like a great receiver.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Agreed, not enough component video inputs (I'd say five should suit most mortals), not nearly enough digital video inputs (HDMI and DVI). Is not DTS-HD capable (the first confirmed next-gen lossless compression already approved for Blu-Ray).

Other niceties missing:
*Automatic speaker distance & SPL leveling with supplied microphone.
*Digital connection for SACD/DVD-A (It may actually support this).
*Does that adjustable bass management include digitally connected SACD & DVD-A?

None-the-less it it a very nice AV Receiver, with many great features: plenty of power (enough for THX Ultra2 certification anyway), plenty of digital audio inputs, adjustable bass management, composite to S-video to component video upsampling, pre-amp outputs, 39 DSPs (if you like that sort of thing).

Hardly a "future proof" or end-all/be-all AVR, but still nier than 99% of everything else out there (I'm holding-out for a AVR with more HDMI slots).

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Not enough component inputs...ok, if you need that many buy some more cards w/ component inputs.
However, most people will be using a combination of the component and DVI and HDMI inputs.
It has firewire as well. Later on one can add a Sirius or XM tuner card. Toss the standard radio card.
I am sure it will have an Auto-Eq card.
No one has proven it cannot push 4 ohm speakers yet.
Is it future-proof? No, that's marketing.
Will it last a long time in your system? Yes.
I have the 989 and know how future proof it was. It did last for quite a while.
I have always liked the sound of Onkyo and this thing has some highly respected Dac's.
Not having a digital amp is not a negative at this time in home audio/video.

*I could be biased, b/c I have the ability to sell this or I could be more qualified to comment.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Do "mortals" buy these flagship receivers? :) I'd expect the user of such a device to have all the toys, and need every last input.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I honestly dont think the Onkyo will really be able to compete against the Denon AVR-5805 and the AVR-4806 that will be coming out soon. The newer Onkyo's dont seem to be built as beefy as the older Onkyo's where. I owned a Onkyo A-8190 that was built like a tank. It was a beefy intergrated a/v amp that had some good performance to it. Even though it did not have surround sound it was rock solid. The new Onkyo's seem to have below average surround performance and there specs seem to be over rated. I would how ever rate them alittle over Sony's recievers, even the ES recievers. I agree that the Onkyo falls short on dvi inputs and hdmi. I would rate the Yamaha, Denon and Pioneer Elite's well over the Onkyo. But heck thats just my opinion.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Can't believe advertising...after all, ever seen a Chevy 'Like a Rock' truck after it's hit something with it's bumper at around 5 mph?

eddieZEN

Second Unit
> Can't believe advertising...after all, ever seen a Chevy 'Like a Rock' truck after it's hit something with it's bumper at around 5 mph?

No, but I'd love to...got any pics? ;)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I saw it on TV a while back where they compared the damage done with the commercials and gave a grand total for repairs. It wasn't a pretty sight.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
What receivers to date (not pre-pros) have offered ANY kind of post purchase updates? I can think of maybe 3 or 4. One of them was an Onkyo (or was it technically an Integra), a Denon or two. What else. I'm thinking that if a manufacturer wants to put its money where its mouth is and offer some firmware updates on its products down into the say $1000 range, then they might lure me into a killobuck receiver. Until then, no way. We've all seen super simple issues go unaddressed on mid-fi receivers (lip sync errors, etc.). When a manufacturer starts allowing for fixes of the most basic bugs that pop up every now and then in most products, then I'll believe that they might actually offer an upgrade of some sorts.

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Sherwood Newcastle has posted two firmware upgrades for our '65 Series products--P-965 pre/pro, R-965 and R-865 receivers.

The first added lip-synch delay. The second added automatic speaker set-up and we gave our customers a mic and mic-preamp.

The 3rd upgrade will add Room EQ.

Jeff

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Check out this 70-lb 150-watt a channel ~{Digtal Amped AVR}~.

And coming from of all places.
June of 2005

What info is their, pretty impressive on paper and the suggested retail pricing is less than what one might think, assuming it lives up to it's rated glory. Throw close to a grand off that for actual in store pricing I would imagine.
Be nice if complete AVR specs where their, maybe somewhere else. Didn't bother looking round...

http://www.audioholics.com/ces/CESpr...HXreceiver.php

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I see certain posts with the words "seem" and other guesswork language being used. Perhaps I can help shed some light for some people.

I hope everyone will find this useful. :)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...Onkyo+TXNR1000

Here's an outright owner's thread, complete with plenty of drool inducing pictures. Instead of "seeming" and "guessing" about any of this, there's plenty of firsthand material to digest. Can't get any better than that! See what owners have to actually say about this unit. No guess work. No "seem" anywhere!

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=215792

There's the HTF thread about this unit here, also with some firsthand accounts and pictures. Complements the AVS thread quite nicely.

I don't know of ANY other receiver that gives that kind of wide open flexibility other than this Onkyo unit. I've never seen or heard anything like it before. If I had the money, I would own one right now, hands down. I love the idea of the future proofing and customization. I hope this concept catches fire very quickly. It's a fantasy machine.

I know of people who have gotten legit street prices near $3500 for this thing! That's a steal for what it is!

But folks, don't let loyalties to a certain brand, or misconceptions, or preconceptions prevent you from considering this amaazing machine if you're in the market for a flagship receiver. There's really no good excuse or reason to dismiss it out of hand if you're in the market for a flagship receiver. It's one of the best out there.

Barring an ungodly glitch or some defect, I can't fathom how or why, if you have the money, anyone would be unhappy with this machine.

A personal favorite of mine:

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WHixson
Recent bookmarks