What's new

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
So I got it and I am enjoying it. My only question is why did they cram 17 episodes per disc?
The reason, is to save money.

The "excuse" is that they don't feel that the animation needs more space than that. However if they left the grain intact it definitely would have.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
You know what I would have liked as an extra? The various syndicated intros I remember seeing as a kid.

This one has a 1966 copyright notice superimposed (oddly in a "safe area" as if they were expecting it to be cropped for widescreen) and it has the line "through the courtesy of Fred's two feet" cut, throwing the sync off for the remainder of the segment. The line was cut on a bunch of episodes, but not all of them.

I have read the line was cut because someone misheard "Fred's two feet" as sounding like "ABC." I don't know if that's true or an urban legend. I also have read that this intro was used for the late 1960s NBC Saturday morning reruns, but not sure about that either.

I remember in pre-1990s syndication the shows of the first two seasons all had the same end credits, IIRC from the first Season 3 show (or the first one with "Meet The Flintstones").

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
You know what I would have liked as an extra? The various syndicated intros I remember seeing as a kid.

This one has a 1966 copyright notice superimposed (oddly in a "safe area" as if they were expecting it to be cropped for widescreen) and it has the line "through the courtesy of Fred's two feet" cut, throwing the sync off for the remainder of the segment. The line was cut on a bunch of episodes, but not all of them.

I have read the line was cut because someone misheard "Fred's two feet" as sounding like "ABC." I don't know if that's true or an urban legend. I also have read that this intro was used for the late 1960s NBC Saturday morning reruns, but not sure about that either.

I remember in pre-1990s syndication the shows of the first two seasons all had the same end credits, IIRC from the first Season 3 show (or the first one with "Meet The Flintstones").

I was never quite sure of that line. Most of the time, I remember mishearing it as "through the courtesy of hands and feet," though the hands bit made no sense! On that note, mishearing the line as "through the courtesy of ABC" doesn't sound out of the question, and as such, could have understandably been considered potentially problematic in syndicated reruns. As a child of the seventies, I do recall the syndicated 1966 opening, sometimes with the "through the courtesy of" line intact (Maybe at some point, an exec figured out it wasn't "courtesy of ABC," and thus ceased excising the line?), and sometimes not. However, I hadn't recalled the sync being thrown off on the latter, but indeed it was, at least in the instance of the syndicated opening above.

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I think I'll edit out "week" from the Gilligan's Island end credits like it used to be in daily syndication. :)
Weirdly enough, though I only ever saw GILLIGAN'S ISLAND in syndication growing up in the seventies and early eighties, I don't remember the "next week, my friends" line ever NOT being present. Ditto the "you're all invited back next week" line from THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES" closing credits.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Weirdly enough, though I only ever saw GILLIGAN'S ISLAND in syndication growing up in the seventies and early eighties, I don't remember the "next week, my friends" line ever NOT being present. Ditto the "you're all invited back next week" line from THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES" closing credits.

I was never a regular viewer of "Gilligan's Island." But it used to come on either right before or right after something I watched. It aired on WGN-Channel 9. Later it moved to WFLD-Channel 32, which was obsessed with making sure all references to "next week's episode" were muted on shows that aired on weekdays, because people aren't bright enough to figure out that those references applied to the original broadcasts.

So when WFLD ran Gilligan, they'd always stop the closing right after the line "it's primitive as can be," because God forbid someone think the show won't be on tomorrow.

But actually, given that the lyrics actually say "EACH week" as opposed to "NEXT week" -- if you're watching day after day, you're still tuning in each week, just more than once.

Funny though, I don't ever remember WFLD muting "you're all invited back next week" from the closing of "The Beverly Hillbillies."

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
So when WFLD ran Gilligan, they'd always stop the closing right after the line "it's primitive as can be," because God forbid someone think the show won't be on tomorrow.

Which is something that CBS should have done originally, on the final episode-- if there were no more new episodes to be had after that final 1967 color episode, then why did the closing of it (I saw the closing of that last episode on DVD) still say "each week"?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Which is something that CBS should have done originally, on the final episode-- if there were no more new episodes to be had after that final 1967 color episode, then why did the closing of it (I saw the closing of that last episode on DVD) still say "each week"?
After the first run their would often be re-runs
Animated GIF
in the same timeslot :cool: ... NBC even coined a phrase ..."It'NEW yo you!" ...

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise

Nor do I. If anybody cut the line out it was a local station cutting it out for local broadcast. Reminds me of when The Rockford Files was shown on a local station owned by a church. There were some episodes where words like "hell," "damn" and "queer" were cut out.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
An Energy special from 1977, per comments on youtube the last time Alan Reed voiced Fred Flintstone. It was broadcast after he died. Henry Corden, the next voice of Fred, provided Fred's singing voice.

I remember a Public Service Announcement around that time about Conservation Energy. It wasn't a special though, it was about a minute long and showed up usually in the late-night hours.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Reminds me of when The Rockford Files was shown on a local station owned by a church. There were some episodes where words like "hell," "damn" and "queer" were cut out.

I never knew that The Rockford Files used those words.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
That was amazing.

and a little depressing.

I guess Fred and Wilma moved out of Bedrock. 🤣

If you think that was depressing, you should have heard Yogi Bear talk about earthquake safety! My grandparents actually took me to a Los Angeles museum that had this when I was 10 years old. The music makes me think Bill and Joe heard The Pointer Sisters' "Neutron Dance" on the radio and said, "do that but different enough not to get sued."

There almost was a fourth season of Gilligan's Island … but it would have come at the expense of more seasons of Gunsmoke. That set off an outcry from members of Congress that reversed that decision. When they made the last episode, they probably had no idea it would be their last.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks