What's new

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-motion-captured/posts/red-skull-set-to-battle-captain-america-in-2011

Drew: So I know you're prepping "Captain America" right now...

Joe Johnston: Yes.

Drew: ... and I know you've said that it's largely period. Does that mean we're going to see some of the other Silver Age characters in the film?

Joe: Well, we will see the Captain America villain, the main villain, the Red Skull. But it's the origin story. It's how he became Captain America in World War II. There are present-day bookends, but it's really... it's his origin story. And we decided you only get one shot at telling an origin story, so you might as well tell it first.

Drew: It seems exciting that you're part of this larger building block plan that Marvel has, ultimately leading towards "The Avengers." Is there a different pressure on you, knowing they have that end goal in mind?

Joe: Well, I don't put any pressure on myself because of that. It's like any other project... you read the script, you decide how you're going to do it, you tell the best possible story. Then they'll take "The First Avenger" story and incorporate it into the bigger franchise, you know? I'm not worried about that. We have a great story and a great script, and we have the resources to do it right. I think it's going to be a lot of fun. We're shooting in the UK because most of the story takes place in Europe. We're casting now, and then we start shooting in June.

Drew: Wow. Have you found him yet?

Joe: (laughs) Not yet.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2010/02/captain-america-will-be-a-uso-performer-in-the-movie-director-says.html

And who will wear the costume and carry the shield? "Well, we're testing five or six guys," Johnston said. "The youngest is 23, the oldest is 32. Most of the guys in the war are just kids, 18 or 19, but we want to go a little bit older. We have to have somebody locked in before I leave March 1 for London."
A challenge, he said, is finding an actor that can play scenes as "98-pound-weakling" Steve Rogers and also pull off the brawny hero scenes, although some visual effects wizardry will come into play.

Johnson has plenty of experience on that front as the director of "Jumanji," "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" and "Jurassic Park III" He also had art director credits on major Lucasfilm projects, including "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "The Empire Strikes Back."

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There's also a rumor The Invaders will be featured in the movie:

http://aintitcool.com/node/43910

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Some casting rumors:

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]UPDATE:[/COLOR] I've learned that Marvel Studios and director Joe Johnston are testing candidates for The First Avenger: Captain America which Paramount will distribute on July 22, 2011. I’ve scooped their wish list: most but by no means all of the contenders are young hunks who come from both movies and television -- Chace Crawford (CW's Gossip Girl), John Krasinski (NBC's The Office), Scott Porter (NBC's Friday Night Lights), Mike Vogel (Cloverfield), Michael Cassidy (CW's Privileged), Patrick Flueger (Brothers). They also wanted Garrett Hedlund (Tron Legacy), but he so far hasn’t made a test deal.
http://www.deadline.com/2010/02/exclusive-who-will-be-captain-america/

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The Krasinki choice would have been mind-blowing. Glad it didn't happen.

I love Chris Evans. Based on Sunshine, he'd be a great choice. Hedlund, I have no opinion on, but that means I have no problem with it. Don't know the other two guys. Getting this casting right is key. Evans would be my top choice of every name I've heard.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I had mentioned Evans awhile ago. Since the FF movies dont exist in my mind :) I have no problem with him taking on another Marvel role.Ive liked him in the parts Ive seen him do, and hes got a decent enough build for the part.

Im ok with it. I wish theyd get moving on the film.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Reports are that he's (Chris Evans) been offered the role.

http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/03/chris-evans-captain-america.html

Looks like it's still just rumor, though.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think Chris Evans is more suited to play Bucky Barnes, who later assumes the mantle after Captain America was shot and presumed "killed".

Not many on SHH is happy with his casting so far.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Saw an interesting comment from Alex Ross that said the studio is nuts if they cast anyone but Jon Hamm. I can't see Hamm taking the part, even if offered. Still, very interesting choice.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Fortunately, SHH is a tried and true hotbed of fanboy wankery. And I appreciate that Alex Ross likes Jon Hamm, but how can the father of Tony Stark also be Captain America. Stick to painting pretty pictures.

There is an age component to the part.

I hope Evans takes the role.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer

Fortunately, SHH is a tried and true hotbed of fanboy wankery. And I appreciate that Alex Ross likes Jon Hamm, but how can the father of Tony Stark also be Captain America. Stick to painting pretty pictures.
Hamm is not playing Stark's father - that's John Slattery, also of Mad Men, but a different - and silver-haired - actor.

FWIW, SciFi Wire.com is also reporting the Evans story:

http://scifiwire.com/2010/03/chris-evans-offered-the-role-of-captain-america.php

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
According to this blog,

http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/03/evans-accepts-captain-america-mantle.html

Evans is Steve Rogers.

Damn you, Paul Walker, for not having the acting chops!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ The Hollywood Reporter is saying the same thing.

I don't know if I've ever read a Captain America or Avengers comic in my life so I'm hardly a devoted fan of Cap but Chris Evans seems like he'll be able to pull it off.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
I like Chris Evans. I liked his roles in Cellular and Sunshine. He was probably the best casting choice in the FF movies. I also think it's better to have a known actor playing the role than some unknown. Playing the leader of The Avengers requires someone who has screen presence and he has it. I believe he has the acting chops to play opposite Robert Downey Jr, Samuel L Jackson, and (hopefully) Edward Norton in The Avengers.

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
To me, Chris Evans is a better fit for Bucky than Cap, but we'll see. Hoping not to be let down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks