What's new

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Wouldn’t mind seeing some of the people who didn’t like this movie in here give their opinion now.
I liked the movie but I took a look at my two posts in this thread and I stand by them (though the first one was a bit of an understatement):

03/22/10
...but Chris Evans seems like he'll be able to pull it off.

07/20/11
Brooding works fine for Batman but it would be severely misplaced in a Captain America movie.

Last edited:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I was on board with Evans from the rumor. As I said on page 1 of this thread, his role in Sunshine made me think he could pull it off. And he was exceedingly well-cast.

I still think it is one of Marvel's better efforts. It has the best romance of any of their films (Atwell is awesome at everything in this film), and it looks cool. Johnston did a great job. Wish there was a little more WWII action (beyond the montage), but I dug it then and I dig it now.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That Paramount title card surprised me.

Paramount distributed all of the Phase 1 films except Avengers. Disney bought them out of the remaining obligations on their distribution deal after this film, and as a result of those buyout terms, Paramount also got their logo on Avengers and Iron Man 3.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Oh wow, this came out 10 years ago now (AND Thor). Interesting reading the first page of this thread, and the news that this was going to be released in May and Avengers in July two months later. Never really followed Marvel back then. I’m not even sure I was aware of the “MCU” was a plan when I saw the first Iron Man in the theaters.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There's a story that goes that John Krasinski (Jack Ryan) auditioned for the part, and when he didn't get it, asked who did. Upon being told it was Chris Evans, Krasinski reportedly said, "Oh yeah, that makes sense. He is Captain America."

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Paramount distributed all of the Phase 1 films except Avengers.
They did not distribute The Incredible Hulk either because the distribution rights for that character were at Universal. Most people seem to forget about that film because Mark Ruffalo was not in it, but Marvel has been sprinkling elements of it throughout some more recent projects. You're right about everything else, of course.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just thought of it because I'm actually going to watch The Incredible Hulk this week.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm bumping this old thread for a very unfortunate reason.

Glen Trotiner has passed away at age 65. He was an assistant director on Captain America: The First Avenger and a bunch of other things.

I have to admit here that I don't remember hearing Trotiner's name before. I do watch the credits on movies, so I'm sure I looked at it at some point. But this is just a reminder of how many people do important work on movies that we as the audience don't really think about that much, myself included. Of course we know the names of people like the actors and the director who are higher profile, but people like Trotiner make significant contributions that aren't always immediately recognized. I know I really liked The First Avenger and Trotiner certainly had a part in that. It is very sad that he is no longer with us.

May he Rest In Peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks