What's new

The Day The Earth Stood Still (Blu-ray) - Reviews? (2 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Whichever you choose, you will enjoy the Blu Ray. I haven’t seen it in some time, but I recall how amazing the black and white photography looked. Especially the scene when Klaatu first appears in the darkened boarding house. Might have to take a look at this disc again! It’s been so long since I’ve seen this, I imagine it might not look as good anymore. It sounds like the new iTunes 4K version might be even better. ( though I’m sure the Blu Ray is still fantastic. )

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think I’ll probably just pay the $4 for the remake with the bare bones edition, and keep my old DVD for the bonus features (which I remember as being pretty awesome). With a 4K version already on iTunes, it doesn’t seem worth paying $20 for a 1080p version on disc.

But I can promise I’m not watching the remake again.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think I’ll probably just pay the $4 for the remake with the bare bones edition, and keep my old DVD for the bonus features (which I remember as being pretty awesome). With a 4K version already on iTunes, it doesn’t seem worth paying $20 for a 1080p version on disc.

But I can promise I’m not watching the remake again.
Good decisions!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The iTunes 4K version looks and sounds terrific too. Better than both Blu rays. Too bad it doesn’t have special features.....yet. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The iTunes 4K version looks and sounds terrific too. Better than both Blu rays. Too bad it doesn’t have special features.....yet. ;)
Right, I have both Blu-rays and that 4K stream for $4.99 as I have everything covered because streaming and physical discs give me the best of both home video formats to enjoy my favorite movies such as this great Sci-fi title.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread but I wanted to double check before pulling the trigger.

I've been working on upgrading some DVDs to Blu-rays and I've arrived at the interesting conundrum of The Day The Earth Stood Still.

See, the thing is, I can get the 1951 version on Blu-ray for about $20. I can get the 2008 version which includes the 1951 movie for $4. So, no brainer, right? Except I'm pretty sure that I've read that the 1951 version included in the 2008 set is stripped of all bonus features. But, on the other hand, I still have my 1951 which has bonus features.

So I guess the question is - does the 1951 standalone Blu-ray contain unique bonus features different from the DVD edition (I have the double sided "studio classics" DVD edition)? Because if there's nothing new on the Blu-ray, I'm thinking it makes more sense to spend $4 for the 2008 movie with the 1951 movie, and then just slide my 1951 DVD into the same case.
As with every other time a question like this gets asked, here's the answer. :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought the 1951 movie on blu-ray had outstanding extras. Personally, I'd pay the extra money for the extras and whatever else I had to in order to not have the remake in my house.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks