What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Conversation 4K UHD 50th Anniversary Limited Collectors Edition (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Love this film, don't know what I would do with a cassette tape. What is on the tape anyway?

Is this what is on the tape?

Coppola dictates script
Opening Sequence
The Life of Harry Caul
The Convention
Introduction to Frank Lovista
Jack Tar Hotel
Police Station Ending

TThomps

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler
I hope the boutique labels' trend of having a box of useless trash ends. Unfortunately, everyone now copies Arrow so the space-wasting box, book and tiny poster (if you can something that small a poster) is now requisite but a tape too? I get it, Hackman records people on tape in the movie but stop needlessly driving up the price.

I think it can be nice to have the option for something a little more lux; in the case of Arrow doing this before it became a big trend. I think these things felt intended to be the definitive copy of whatever film, which is appealing considering how often these cult films get re-released, be it in new formats, from competing labels, for different regions etc. There is more incentive for me to keep my LE blu-ray copy of Robocop rather than upgrading to the 4K from either Arrow or Shout! I also read those little booklets and frame the posters up so I find those set are worthy of keeping around. Others may not feel the same but I'm not really too picky about blu-ray vs 4k or having the newest most up to date release unless there is a big incentive to upgrade.

That said, I think these Studio Canal, Umbrella, and Second Sight releases are going a bit overboard. Like do I really need a 4K copy of Razorback let alone one that takes up the shelf space of several TV box sets for a single film especially when that film is... Razorback... come on. I get that if its your fave film, yeah go for it. I'd probably get that Dawn of the Dead set if it were completely region free (and didn't have horrible artwork) but then again, I'm still rocking the Anchor Bay 'Ultimate Edition' and it holds up great.

This Conversation set really does come off as the worst offending of all of these psycho big box sets. I collect tapes and all but the tape in this context is silly. It needlessly drives the price up. If this is intended to be the definitive version of this film, then having the soundtrack presented in the format of something as archaic as a tape just feels out of place, and like a gimmick more than anything. Its aesthetically the same as putting a bunch of stickers, buttons, pins, and other crap in there (looking at you Error4444 and Severin).

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I think it can be nice to have the option for something a little more lux; in the case of Arrow doing this before it became a big trend. I think these things felt intended to be the definitive copy of whatever film, which is appealing considering how often these cult films get re-released, be it in new formats, from competing labels, for different regions etc. There is more incentive for me to keep my LE blu-ray copy of Robocop rather than upgrading to the 4K from either Arrow or Shout! I also read those little booklets and frame the posters up so I find those set are worthy of keeping around. Others may not feel the same but I'm not really too picky about blu-ray vs 4k or having the newest most up to date release unless there is a big incentive to upgrade.

That said, I think these Studio Canal, Umbrella, and Second Sight releases are going a bit overboard. Like do I really need a 4K copy of Razorback let alone one that takes up the shelf space of several TV box sets for a single film especially when that film is... Razorback... come on. I get that if its your fave film, yeah go for it. I'd probably get that Dawn of the Dead set if it were completely region free (and didn't have horrible artwork) but then again, I'm still rocking the Anchor Bay 'Ultimate Edition' and it holds up great.

This Conversation set really does come off as the worst offending of all of these psycho big box sets. I collect tapes and all but the tape in this context is silly. It needlessly drives the price up. If this is intended to be the definitive version of this film, then having the soundtrack presented in the format of something as archaic as a tape just feels out of place, and like a gimmick more than anything. Its aesthetically the same as putting a bunch of stickers, buttons, pins, and other crap in there (looking at you Error4444 and Severin).
The Conversation has been released in all available formats - not sure about Selectavision - since the advent of home video. To make this 4k stand apart and be not just another reissue, why not make it special? There's no difference between this and the collectors editions of The Who's TOMMY or what RHINO is doing, Beatles releases, etc - outtakes, live recordings, books. This is Record Store Day for home video fans. For some of us, this version of TC is definitely worth it and will be given a prominent place on a shelf. The film is deserving of this "Criterion on steroids approach." I have paid lots of $$$ for Masters of Cinema releases just for the book - Dreyer's Vampyr for example - and this seems like a bargain. So it's worth it for some and for others, they will be content w the no frills release, which I am sure will be released domestically eventually.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I used to love the deluxe box sets in the days of DVD — not the big 12” long boxes full of stuff, but the DVD-size sets that would often include a book (or booklet) with photos (often lobby card repros) or facsimiles of the theater program. Examples of this include Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge on the River Kwai, the Wizard of Oz and so on.

Blu-ray never had many such sets. Too often, the Blu-ray of title had barebones packaging. There were some exceptions, but it was that way for too long.

Now with 4k poised to be the last physical format, it’s right that we get back to some good sets.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I loved the big box sets with all the promo materials. I like reading all I can about the making of the movie (I’d rather watch an in depth making of), and all the stuff they include ala Oz, Casa, Lawrence, etc., is awesome. To me it’s not “junk”. I do love the DVD sets that fit on the shelf… I do NOT love the box boxes. Just the stuff inside.

Robert Saccone

Premium
Ouch 90$ if buying from
For many years i used to order UK discs from Amazon UK until they started charging a ton of money for shipping and now i shop at other websites like Ebay, Zavvi, Diabolik and other sites. Currently if i were to order this at Amazon UK it will be a total of $79.13.
Zavi has it for $90. Ouch. Even $80 seems like a lot. I like the film and the video extras but I am not sure I need an $80 version.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
To make this 4k stand apart and be not just another reissue, why not make it special? There's no difference between this and the collectors editions of The Who's TOMMY or what RHINO is doing, Beatles releases, etc - outtakes, live recordings, books.
The difference is that they don't release the box set of Sgt. Pepper and wait about a year to release the standard CD. I don't mind the existence of a box set, what I don't like is being forced to buy the box set or wait for them to release a reasonably priced and reasonably sized version after they wring out more money from consumers. Call that impatience (it is) or call it a first world problem (it absolutely is) but I think it's lame that many of the boutiques try to force you to buy a more expensive version when they could give people the option at the start.

Last edited:

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
I hope the boutique labels' trend of having a box of useless trash ends. Unfortunately, everyone now copies Arrow so the space-wasting box, book and tiny poster (if you can something that small a poster) is now requisite but a tape too? I get it, Hackman records people on tape in the movie but stop needlessly driving up the price.
How big is the box?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Indy7solo
Recent bookmarks