What's new

3D The Bubble (1966) (3D Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
The Bubble can be had for as little as $18.32 at importcds, who are running a 10% off sale until Monday with the code SAVE10.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I watched my copy in 3D last nite and thought it looked great. There was some good pop out and dimensionality to the film. I really like these "classic" 3D offerings like The Bubble, DIal M for Murder, Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc. They have a whole different look/feel too them. I didn't know what to expect from The Bubble regarding the storyline, and I kept thinking where have I seen the lead Michael Cole from and it slipped my mind The Mod Squad. I think he carried the film very well and was surprised by the film from time to time. It is one of my top 5 favorite 3D titles. :)

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Ordered from Amazon.com as Amazon UK don't seem interested in it. It will only take 32(!) days to reach the UK. Must be coming via a rowing boat. :)

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I'd probably be watching The Bubble right now, but unfortunately, I received a notice from Amazon this morning that there was a shipping delay with UPS. :(

Hopefully, I'll have better news tomorrow.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
StephenDH said:
Ordered from Amazon.com as Amazon UK don't seem interested in it. It will only take 32(!) days to reach the UK. Must be coming via a rowing boat. :)
If it's anything like the arrival dates I get when ordering from the UK to the U.S., Amazon tends to way-y over-estimate shipping times, just to be on the safe side. Although shipping from Europe to U.S. takes longer than it used to, I've never had to wait more than 2 weeks.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My copy of The Bubble arrived today right on schedule, and I found 91 minutes to watch it tonight. Thoroughly entertaining and GREAT 3D! (Won't spoil any surprises for the uninitiated.)

I appreciate all the hard work that went into making this a quality presentation. Congratulations!

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I watched it last night! It definitely ranks up there as one of the strangest movies I've ever seen. You'll remember this film for a long time afterwards.

The 3D is very deep and the popout effects are spectacular.

This is a film that definitely deserves the 3D blu-ray treatment and should be a must buy for any 3D connoisseur.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thanks, Dan.

May I ask the people that have bought this to please leave a review on Amazon? That will help to sell more copies and lead to additional 3-D releases.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Watched The Bubble (which I have never seen before) in 3D on my ultra wide 2.76x1 screen this evening. I was amazed at the outstanding depth and pop out effects! Another great transfer Mr. Furmanek. Thanks so much.

I've posted my review on Amazon. I hope a lot get sold, and that perhaps another SpaceVision title that everyone wants (Flesh For Frankenstein) will somehow see the light of day soon.

I was surprised the aspect ratio is a very wide 2.50x1. It almost fills up my 2.76x1 screen. This is certainly the widest 3D film in my collection. Is there any particular reason for this unusually wide aspect ratio?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Just finished it myself. The presentation is wonderful, and the 3D is definitely eye-catching. The film itself was a little underwhelming for me, unfortunately. Still, glad to have it on the shelf and to be able to support classic 3D releases.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Reed - from Bob's wonderful article:

You’re also seeing more of the image. In theaters, the Space-Vision prints were badly cropped to overlap the above/below 3-D image onto the screen. In addition, when the film was edited by Igo Kantor in 1966, he used a standard splicer instead of one designed for anamorphic elements which would have given a narrow overlap of .03 inches resulting in much thinner splice lines. As a result, at every cut, there are white lines across the top and bottom of the image. In the 1999 Rhino DVD release, they simply zoomed-in on all four sides to hide the splices and still retain a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. The massive amount of cropping wreaked havoc with the original compositions. This solution was not acceptable to the Archive so Greg went to work retaining the full 2.50:1 negative image and removing every single splice line at each cut.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Brandon Conway said:
Reed - from Bob's wonderful article:

You’re also seeing more of the image. In theaters, the Space-Vision prints were badly cropped to overlap the above/below 3-D image onto the screen. In addition, when the film was edited by Igo Kantor in 1966, he used a standard splicer instead of one designed for anamorphic elements which would have given a narrow overlap of .03 inches resulting in much thinner splice lines. As a result, at every cut, there are white lines across the top and bottom of the image. In the 1999 Rhino DVD release, they simply zoomed-in on all four sides to hide the splices and still retain a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. The massive amount of cropping wreaked havoc with the original compositions. This solution was not acceptable to the Archive so Greg went to work retaining the full 2.50:1 negative image and removing every single splice line at each cut.
I'm wondering if Bob Furmanek means that the Negative Cutter used a standard splicer for cutting the original negative of The Bubble, as the Film Editor does not cut the original negative. Was the Film Editor (Igo Kantor) also the person who conformed the original negative of the movie to match the film work print? If so, that would be somewhat unusual even for a low budget feature film (although I am aware of it happening on occasion).

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
aPhil said:
I'm wondering if Bob Furmanek means that the Negative Cutter used a standard splicer for cutting the original negative of The Bubble, as the Film Editor does not cut the original negative. Was the Film Editor (Igo Kantor) also the person who conformed the original negative of the movie to match the film work print? If so, that would be somewhat unusual even for a low budget feature film (although I am aware of it happening on occasion).
Also odd for a neg cutter to dispose of the bits he cut out, unless he was told to do so.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Very nice picture quality (particularly good colour I thought) and the in-your-face 3D effects were great fun. I always think what's the point of 3D if you can't shove something right in front of the audience to make them flinch!I had no idea what to expect from the film and had some doubts but I was very pleasantly surprised, finding it intriguing and entertaining. As has been said, it is very similar to an extended classic Twilight Zone episode and the mysterious element of the film was helped by not providing too much explanation.Looking forward to the next one!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
That's great, thank you Doug. If you don't mind, please leave a review on Amazon.

The better this sells, the better the chance of releasing more vintage 3-D on blu-ray!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Announced for the first time tonight on the Alicia Mayer show, THE BUBBLE will have an official New York City opening at the Museum of Modern Art from January 18 - 24, 2015!

If anybody is interested, my segment begins at 23:00.

http://www.latalkradio.com/archives/Mayer-112214.mp3

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Just received and watched this today. I'd already seen it in 3D via 3D TV Corporation's 1990 field-sequential VHS release, which used a print of "The Fantastic Invasion of Planet Earth" and re-titled "The Zoo" for the tape as the guy who ran the company didn't like the other title. (They did that with a number of other titles, which I didn't buy as I don't buy intentionally altered movies.) 3D on that tape was excellent for the time, though the system had an inherent flicker and you lost half of the standard-def resolution per eye. On a 26-inch TV letterboxed it was also pretty small too.

Glad to see this on a bigger screen and in better quality. And since I'm against film revisionism, I have to say thanks for NOT digitally removing the strings on the floating-tray scene! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks