What's new

THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD: continuing discussion of Warner's eventual release plans (NEW UPDATE 10/2 Po (3 Viewers)

AfterIllusion

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam Thomas
LouA said:
Just curious. Did you look at the playing side of the disc to see if there were any scuffs or handling marks . Sometimes that causes a disc to freeze or skip.
That was the first thing I did, but the disc is flawless. If so I could just take the disc to a local dvd shop and get it buffed out, but unfortunately that's not the case. Just probably a bad/faulty disc. Giving WB a call tomorrow and hope to be watching "Ghost Chasers" soon!

-Adam

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
AfterIllusion said:
That was the first thing I did, but the disc is flawless. If so I could just take the disc to a local dvd shop and get it buffed out, but unfortunately that's not the case. Just probably a bad/faulty disc. Giving WB a call tomorrow and hope to be watching "Ghost Chasers" soon!

-Adam
Hi Adam!

Have you contacted WB? If so, how did it go? I hope they've resolved your issue!

CHEERS!

Tony

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Well, I conscientiously completed my viewing the fourth (and final) disc of THE BOWERY BOYS, VOLUME TWO 4-disc set and these are my impressions of the contents:PRIVATE EYES (1953)Yet another winner which is patterned on familiar comic gimmicks borrowed from HOLD THAT BABY (1949) and THE THREE STOOGES short "Monkey Businessmen" (20/06/1946). Even (The) Three Stooges character actor Emil Sitka has been hijacked to participate in the rollicking entertaining hijinks. The villains led by Robert Osterloh are outstanding and make superb adversaries for Slip and Sach. A favoured story revelation of a trusted and respected professional who is revealed as the actual criminal mastermind is revived with the usual success once again.This time Sach is endowed with the miraculous power of reading minds.Bowery street kid Herbie Wilkens (Rudy Lee) would also appear in THE BOWERY BOYS MEET THE MONSTERS (1954). In a bit of real offbeat casting Myron Healey portrays a Lennie-like halfwit henchman who changes sides and helps the good guys out.Comedic highlight: Everybody (including gun wielding hoodlum Peter Mamakos) getting a turn having their face slapped in because of a missing envelope containing incriminating evidence.THE BOWERY BOYS MEET THE MONSTERS (1954)Reputed to be the highest box office grossing THE BOWERY BOYS film. Plot elements involving head transplants and a caged experimental gorilla lifted from previous THE THREE STOOGES shorts ("A Bird in the Head," "Dopey Dicks" and "Spooks") and past THE BOWERY BOYS films (SPOOK BUSTERS and MASTER MINDS) are all resurrected in a wonderful uproarious scarefest widely acclaimed as the team's best effort. Exceptional widescreen composition and one of the early series films to feature joint equal onscreen starring credit afforded to both Leo Gorcey and Huntz Hall.The real casting coup is "Vincent Price" facsimile John Dehner as Dr. Derek Gravesend patriarch of the macabre Addams-like family and chief scientist with ambitious, insane designs on Sach's conveniently compact-sized brain. It is somewhat of a comedown to see Lloyd Corrigan relegated to a villainous role after his marvelous performance as the likeable Edgar the benign poltergeist in GHOST CATCHERS (1951) but acting is acting. A special laurel of commendation must go to angular-faced Paul Wexler (previously seen in FEUDIN' FOOLS) as Grissom the Butler ("It's Gruesome, Sir!").Laura Mason is well cast as the blood-starved (and man-craving), sleekly alluring female vampire member of the Gravesend family but is completely wasted in what amounts to be a regrettably insignificant part.Louie is memorably showcased in a winning moment where the kindhearted genial proprietor chooses to magnanimously overlook a local Bowery street kid’s indiscretion in having unintentionally broken his beloved sweetshop storefront display window with a homerun baseball hit.A modified Gorog the Robot would later be recycled in THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN episode "The Gentle Monster" (24/03/1958).This is the only film in the series to bear "The Bowery Boys" in the title.Laugh?! You'll never stop!Comedic highlight: The wrestling match-style climatic confrontation-battle between a transformed Sach into a Mr. Hyde-like monster against the two mad scientists and their sinister clever-wielding butler.HIGH SOCIETY (1955)By this time we've seen it all before: Sach is mistakenly believed to be the long sought after heir of a fabulously wealthy tycoon also bearing the family name "Jones," greedy relatives, a trusted and respected professional proves to be in cahoots with the bad guys and a climatic free-for-all brawl. But when a winning formula works, especially in comedy, it is milked for all that it's worth. The series is pretty much riding the crest of one success after another and this enjoyable laughfest is no exception despite being a hybrid mishmash of disparate (THE) THREE STOOGES and (THE) BOWERY BOYS gags and plot elements.This film has gained special renown for having been confused with the lavish ultra-mega budget MGM Studios produced musical identically titled and released the selfsame year HIGH SOCIETY (1955) and was mistakenly nominated for an Academy Award in addition to featuring a pre-GUNSMOKE tv series Amanda Blake (looking more like Shirley MacLaine's older sister) in the cast. Both Leo Gorcey and Huntz Hall are in fine form and look as though they could go on for years to come and yet Leo would make just four more (The) Bowery Boys films before permanently leaving this popular series. Veteran stock company player Paul Harvey makes his fifth and final appearance in a Bowery Boys movie.Dave Berry does a nice send up-parody of famed celebrity pianist Liberace.The framing sequences involving Slip and Sach's auto repair service are hilarious. It is amazing how the Louie's Sweetshop premises are employed for all kinds of business ventures attempted by Slip and Sach this time serving as "The Bowery Garage."Comedic highlight: Sach being required to sign important legal documents validating his inheritance.I'm sure that the rest of our friends who have participated in this discussion thread have had (or will have) as much fun as I did watching these (highly) entertaining films once again!Jeff T.

AfterIllusion

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam Thomas
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Adam!

Have you contacted WB? If so, how did it go? I hope they've resolved your issue!

CHEERS!

Tony
Sorry it took so long for the response! I called them up and mentioned that you guys here on the forum didn't have any problems with the disc, and this time around they sent me another set with no hassle! I got it in the mail a few days ago, and have watched all the movies on disc 2 and have had no blips, bloops, skips or anything of the sort. So it must have just been a bad dvd... regardless I am back to enjoying the boys and can't wait for Volume 3, whenever it may be!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
AfterIllusion said:
Sorry it took so long for the response! I called them up and mentioned that you guys here on the forum didn't have any problems with the disc, and this time around they sent me another set with no hassle! I got it in the mail a few days ago, and have watched all the movies on disc 2 and have had no blips, bloops, skips or anything of the sort. So it must have just been a bad dvd... regardless I am back to enjoying the boys and can't wait for Volume 3, whenever it may be!
Hi Adam!

I'm happy to hear that your issue has been resolved, and you are now able to properly enjoy your Bowery Boys films!

CHEERS!

Tony

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
AfterIllusion said:
Good to hear that. I watched Ghost Chasers today and it played perfectly . Good movie too! Sort of reminded me of the the earlier Dead End Kids encounters with "spooks".

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Nothing official, WA rarely gives advance notices but I would guess either July or August which would still give them time to get the last volume out before the end of the year. That was their original plan.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Randy Korstick said:
Nothing official, WA rarely gives advance notices but I would guess either July or August which would still give them time to get the last volume out before the end of the year. That was their original plan.
That does sound about right, Randy. The only reason I asked was because I'm a bit spooked about the recent drop in our Canadian Dollar, which is now down to around 95 cents U.S. I just hope it doesn't dip below 90 cents before I can get volumes 3 and 4, especially as money is already too tight to mention in our household to start with!

CHEERS!

Tony

AfterIllusion

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam Thomas
Tony Bensley said:
I know it's probably a bit soon to pose this question, but has anyone heard when the third Bowery Boys volume might be released?

CHEERS!

Tony
I posted on the Warner Archives about this around a week ago, and of course they gave me the slip and said "it's currently being worked on". Hopefully July or August though... the suspense is moida!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Tony , your not the only one waiting anxiously for this release . My guess is that it'll be announced soon for a Sept release, with the final volume released in December. At least I hope so!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
WAC on responding to a Facebook question on Volume 3 said they were finishing up the transfers and it would be soon. In the past that usually turned out to be about two to three weeks. I'm interested to know the titles in this volume. Anyone have an idea?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
ahollis said:
WAC on responding to a Facebook question on Volume 3 said they were finishing up the transfers and it would be soon. In the past that usually turned out to be about two to three weeks. I'm interested to know the titles in this volume. Anyone have an idea?
Just reading the Warner Archive's response regarding finishing up the transfers is sufficiently reassuring to me, for now. I just hope our Canadian Dollar doesn't keep dropping very much more in the meantime, as it is just over 95 cents U.S. at the moment!

As for what titles are included, I'm personally hoping for MISTER HEX and/or SPY CHASERS, as they've been two of the more problematic Bowery Boys titles over the years. Also, any work on these would explain the now slightly longer gap between the Volume 2 and Volume 3 release dates, but we'll just have to wait and see!

Meenwoil, duh Suspenduhs is killin' me, LOL!

CHEERS!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
It just occccurred to me that after the Bowery Boys are all released , maybe WB can release the Dead End Kids , and East Side Kids films in similar sets . I understand that there are excellant copies of most of those films in the UCLA film library.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
LouA said:
It just occccurred to me that after the Bowery Boys are all released , maybe WB can release the Dead End Kids , and East Side Kids films in similar sets . I understand that there are excellant copies of most of those films in the UCLA film library.
This sounds like a great idea to me, Lou! Perhaps the "Little Tough Guys" entries could be included with the "Dead End Kids" series, and the "Dead End Kids" serials JUNIOR G-MEN; SEA RAIDERS and JUNIOR G-MEN OF THE AIR could also be issued for good measure!

But foist, we still await "The Bowery Boys, Volumes 3 & 4," with the thoid set hopefully infuriatin' our Video Players very shortly!

CHEERS!

Tony

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
They have released a double feature of the Dead End Kids plus 1 or 2 other titles. Angels With Dirty Faces and Dead End were released along time ago, so a lot of the Dead End kid titles are out already.
East Side Kids would be a big problem. I know some of the series is in UCLA but not sure how many of the 20+ titles are in good condition. Most of this series seems to be in worse shape than the Bowery Boys. That said I would definately be on board for an East side kids release. If they do 12 films a set like the Bowery Boys they should be able to do the series in 2 volumes.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Me thinks the Warner Archive's 12 month time frame (November 2012 - November 2013.) for issuing all four Bowery Boys Volumes may not quite be met, or that we'll even have the final fourth set in time for Christmas!

Or, perhaps Warner Archive might make an announcement next week regarding Volume 3? I do hope it's soon, as I'm waitin' on tender hooks!

CHEERS!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Tony - I'm really thinking next Tuesday but not any later than three weeks. I'm really hoping for MR HEX this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks