The Book: An Elegy by John Derbyshire

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by JParker, Feb 21, 2013.

1. JParker

JParker Second Unit

http://takimag.com/article/the_book_an_elegy_john_derbyshire/print#axzz2La75ITyN [​IMG] The Book: An Elegy by John Derbyshire Excerpt:

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Yup. I got rid of every paper book and magazine I had collected and gave them away or trashed them all while moving last year. As a kid I had dreamed of owning a beautiful library like the rich people I would see on TV and had steadfastly built up my collection for 40 years in anticipation of the day I would have a home worthy of displaying them all. And then suddenly I didn't care any more. I came to realize that I would never re-read any of them. Anything I cared to look up could be better done on the computer. And I wasn't romantically attached to the smell of paper and ink and dust as some are. I kept a small batch of those that had been signed gifts and let the rest behind me. I have no regrets.

3. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    I love the picture in the first post above. It kind of reminds me of my home library, which my wife and I designed when we were building our home. For my own part, I read books every day, and have never read an E-book (and probably never will) since I don't like reading for long periods of time using a computer. I continue to collect books and journals, and will probably do this for the remainder of my life.

4. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    You are missing out. I don't like reading on a computer screen either, but reading e-ink is a joy (not to mention the bonus of being able to tap words to look them up and do text searches). I still read books, but I love my Nook Simple Touch too. Oh, there's also the bonus of being able to log into the local library's web site and instantly download (free and legally) a book that I get a hankerin' to read.

5. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Aaron, Thanks. As an academic librarian, it's interesting to ask students which format they prefer (E-books or print books) when I am helping them with their research papers. Thus far, the overwhelming favorite is print books (as far as reading the book is concerned). Of course, as far as text searches like that which you mention above, electronic formats are quite efficient and very useful. I have downloaded chapters of books for some students, but have never done so for myself. I prefer to have the actual book in my hand rather than trying to read it on a computer screen. On somewhat of a related note, I tried to watch a couple of episodes of my favorite television series on my computer recently but did not find that very rewarding.