What's new

Pre-Order The Big Country (1958) (Reissue) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Having very recently re-watched the Blu-ray disc, I think a 4K release would be welcomed by a lot of people.

Indeed it would be very much welcomed.

Looking at the Park Circus website there is not even a DCP available for The Big Country, let alone a 4K version:

Kino already wasn't happy with the effort they had to make in bringing this to Blu-ray and as the UHD would require more than just slapping an existing 4K master on a UHD that is certainly another reason why they do not want to do it.

An arrangement where a 4K master is produced that can then be used towards both a 4K DCP and a UHD Blu-ray release would be beneficial to both MGM and Kino. MGM/Amazon would have to cover a percentage of the expenses and then both home theater enthusiasts and repertory cinemas could benefit.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
No, meaning the 8-perfs are not around?

Or no, the 8-perfs are not in good shape?

Or no, The Big Country is not a viable candidate for the 4K/UHD format?

OliverK has posted that a DCP of The Big Country is still non-existent. That is surprising. Perhaps a full restoration is in order? Easier to say, though, when it’s not the consumers monies that are being put on the table from the onset.

If or when, it’s still a very good thing to see that Kino Lorber has brought back an availability of The Big Country, to hopefully be discovered by the uninitiated. A great western, a great Wyler and a great win for those who view.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
No, meaning the 8-perfs are not around?

Or no, the 8-perfs are not in good shape?

Or no, The Big Country is not a viable candidate for the 4K/UHD format?

OliverK has posted that a DCP of The Big Country is still non-existent. That is surprising. Perhaps a full restoration is in order? Easier to say, though, when it’s not the consumers monies that are being put on the table from the onset.

If or when, it’s still a very good thing to see that Kino Lorber has brought back an availability of The Big Country, to be discovered by the uninitiated. A great western, a great Wyler and a great win for those who view.
As I recall, the OCN is faded, and was comped together by AMPAS a number of years ago from the masters. A new (different) comp may be in order before going to 4k.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
I'd be curious if any of the deleted scenes survive in any form anywhere? A few years back, I did a bunch of digging in Gregory Peck and William Wyler's collections out here in LA and discovered just how much material was filmed that was excised. I'd say another half hour or so, based on the "as shot" shooting script and memos regarding the early assemblies of the film.

I even found a diagram and instructions for splicing in an intermission into the prints, which I don't think was ever done.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'd be curious if any of the deleted scenes survive in any form anywhere? A few years back, I did a bunch of digging in Gregory Peck and William Wyler's collections out here in LA and discovered just how much material was filmed that was excised. I'd say another half hour or so, based on the "as shot" shooting script and memos regarding the early assemblies of the film.

I even found a diagram and instructions for splicing in an intermission into the prints, which I don't think was ever done.
Doubtful

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
As always, thanks for this Stephen! Wonder if any of the tapes, or your stereo combine is properly on an inventory, and then if said inventory is known to Amazon?

Even if it does, one would need the three-stripe or stems to create a stereo mix, and I’d bet they don’t survive.

So much of this comes down to who performed the original physical inventory as items were being boxed after post, and how things were annotated.

As I recall, the only clue to the original Perspecta mix on MWKTM was the single letter “P,” after the line item “OSTN.”

You continue to be a fount of accurate information. Be well, and have a Happy & Healthy!
Thank Robert. This mono copy of the score I recall was donated to a university and a dat copy was accessed by William Rosar, I believe, with the assistance of Jerome Moross' daughter, Susanna Moross Tarjan.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Even if it does, one would need the three-stripe or stems to create a stereo mix, and I’d bet they don’t survive.
The only 35mm magnetic track that was available to me was a 35mm 3-track, channel one: composite; channel two: blank; channel three: M&E

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I assume you made your own stereo version for the German Blu-ray as the Koch version I have is unfortunately mono. Thanks for clearing up the mystery. I do recall that on one of the early cd soundtrack albums from Screen Archives a family member of Jerome Moross is quoted as stating the music in the film sounded wonderful in booming stereo all around the Theater (believe it was the Astor in NYC) Or words to that effect…This was either at the premiere or a special showing of TBC.
No. The German blu ray, which I purchased, used the mono isolated score from the Laserdisc and possibly the English composite mono track.
I had nothing to do with the German disc, the laserdisc tracks must have been accessed through MGM or Amazon.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

FWIW, the music for The Big Country was apparently never recorded in stereo as the original soundtrack LP was a fake process job.
Do we know if the LP used the original tracks? If not, it is possible a mono session was done for the LP, as mono LP's were the norm in late '58, and a stereo version was produced from the mono LP master.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Do we know if the LP used the original tracks? If not, it is possible a mono session was done for the LP, as mono LP's were the norm in late '58, and a stereo version was produced from the mono LP master.
Stereo version from the “mono LP master?” How would one achieve stereo mx w/o either the original 3-track floor recordings or separate mono recordings sync’d from two mics?

For Vertigo, we had half the film (London recording) in 3-track, which had to be re-mixed with the final optical composite, derived from a print.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
As I recall, the OCN is faded, and was comped together by AMPAS a number of years ago from the masters. A new (different) comp may be in order before going to 4k.
Damn! I wonder who would actually pony up the money to do as good a 4k scan (or greater) and cleaned up master as possible for a 4k Blu-ray? This is such a wonderfully subversive "anti-Western genre trope" classic.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
This is the version currently offered on Amazon DE and Amazon UK sites. From Final Cut. The specs indicate PCM Stereo. Is this indeed in STEREO? How does this release fit into the discussion? Video/Audio quality?

Product details​

• Aspect Ratio ‏ : ‎ Unknown
  • Rated ‏ : ‎ Parental Guidance
  • Language ‏ : ‎ English
  • Package Dimensions ‏ : ‎ 18.2 x 13.7 x 1.7 cm; 80 Grams
  • Director ‏ : ‎ William Wyler
  • Run time ‏ : ‎ 2 hours and 46 minutes
  • Release date ‏ : ‎ 22 Aug. 2022
  • Actors ‏ : ‎ Gregory Peck, Jean Simmons, Carroll Baker, Charlton Heston, Burl Ives, Charles Bickford, Alfonso Bedoya, Chuck Connors, Chuck Hayward
  • Subtitles: ‏ : ‎ English
  • Language ‏ : ‎ English (PCM Stereo)
  • Studio ‏ : ‎ Final Cut Entertainment
  • ASIN ‏ : ‎ B09YDC98J6
  • Country of origin ‏ : ‎ Poland
  • Best Sellers Rank: 11,246 in DVD & Blu-ray (See Top 100 in DVD & Blu-ray)
  • Customer reviews:
    4.8 4.8 out of 5 stars 29 ratings

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This is the version currently offered on Amazon DE and Amazon UK sites. From Final Cut. The specs indicate PCM Stereo. Is this indeed in STEREO? How does this release fit into the discussion? Video/Audio quality?

Product details​

• Aspect Ratio ‏ : ‎ Unknown
  • Rated ‏ : ‎ Parental Guidance
  • Language ‏ : ‎ English
  • Package Dimensions ‏ : ‎ 18.2 x 13.7 x 1.7 cm; 80 Grams
  • Director ‏ : ‎ William Wyler
  • Run time ‏ : ‎ 2 hours and 46 minutes
  • Release date ‏ : ‎ 22 Aug. 2022
  • Actors ‏ : ‎ Gregory Peck, Jean Simmons, Carroll Baker, Charlton Heston, Burl Ives, Charles Bickford, Alfonso Bedoya, Chuck Connors, Chuck Hayward
  • Subtitles: ‏ : ‎ English
  • Language ‏ : ‎ English (PCM Stereo)
  • Studio ‏ : ‎ Final Cut Entertainment
  • ASIN ‏ : ‎ B09YDC98J6
  • Country of origin ‏ : ‎ Poland
  • Best Sellers Rank: 11,246 in DVD & Blu-ray (See Top 100 in DVD & Blu-ray)
  • Customer reviews:
    4.8 4.8 out of 5 stars 29 ratings

It does not.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Stereo version from the “mono LP master?” How would one achieve stereo mx w/o either the original 3-track floor recordings or separate mono recordings sync’d from two mics?

For Vertigo, we had half the film (London recording) in 3-track, which had to be re-mixed with the final optical composite, derived from a print.
Sorry, "artificially" produced stereo from the LP mono master I should have said, which it was!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks