What's new

Pre-Order The Big Country (1958) (Reissue) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81skAq6N0BL._SL1500_.jpg

Preorder should appear shortly

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Reactions: PMF

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
Was the film only made with mono sound in 1958?
It has such a great score it would be wonderful to hear it in 3 or 4 track.
It’s a matter of controversy. From readings over the years I believe The Big Country did in fact have a stereo track. I’ve also read that a collector had such a print. With that said I’ve never seen TBC in stereo. So ….

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It would have been the first ever Super Technirama 70 release if they had done the conversion. Sleeping Beauty came out a few months later.
I neglected to ask that question, but access to 70mm venues may have been a problem. Similar situation to Raintree, a film never discussed on HTF.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
FWIW, the music for The Big Country was apparently never recorded in stereo as the original soundtrack LP was a fake process job.
Apparently the music was recorded three channel at Samuel Goldwyn Studios Stage #7 by Vinton Vernon. (Shown here on the back of a quarter inch tape box. A 'stereo combine' was made of the score which I used for the isolated score on the laserdisc and was also used on the German blu ray). It's a mystery why they didn't use it for the LP. When I was at Disney I transferred all the stereo music tracks for JUNGLE BOOK (1966) and were offered to the soundtrack division for their cd release but was refused!

Attachments

• Big Country score 001.jpg
    Big Country score 001.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 51
  • Big Country score 002.jpg
    Big Country score 002.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 50

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Apparently the music was recorded three channel at Samuel Goldwyn Studios Stage #7 by Vinton Vernon. (Shown here on the back of a quarter inch tape box. A 'stereo combine' was made of the score which I used for the isolated score on the laserdisc and was also used on the German blu ray). It's a mystery why they didn't use it for the LP. When I was at Disney I transferred all the stereo music tracks for JUNGLE BOOK (1966) and were offered to the soundtrack division for their cd release but was refused!
Weird then that the Quartet and FSM cds of the complete score are also monaural.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As always, thanks for this Stephen! Wonder if any of the tapes, or your stereo combine is properly on an inventory, and then if said inventory is known to Amazon?

Even if it does, one would need the three-stripe or stems to create a stereo mix, and I’d bet they don’t survive.

So much of this comes down to who performed the original physical inventory as items were being boxed after post, and how things were annotated.

As I recall, the only clue to the original Perspecta mix on MWKTM was the single letter “P,” after the line item “OSTN.”

You continue to be a fount of accurate information. Be well, and have a Happy & Healthy!

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
I assume you made your own stereo version for the German Blu-ray as the Koch version I have is unfortunately mono. Thanks for clearing up the mystery. I do recall that on one of the early cd soundtrack albums from Screen Archives a family member of Jerome Moross is quoted as stating the music in the film sounded wonderful in booming stereo all around the Theater (believe it was the Astor in NYC) Or words to that effect…This was either at the premiere or a special showing of TBC.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Would The Big Country be a viable candidate for a successful transfer to 4K/UHD?

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
Would The Big Country be a viable candidate for a successful transfer to 4K/UHD?
Yes, as I believe the restoration of a number of years ago was done in 4K . Kino has stated that they didn’t believe there would be a market for such a release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks