What's new

Directors The Best of 2002 Film Tournament (Part Deux) (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Abstain (I liked Below very much. I liked the chilly moodiness of it. I haven't seen Equilibrium though. Yet.)

Secretary (Roger Dodger was pretty good, but I had to spend half the movie with my eyes closed or fixed on a point on the seat in front of me. Of all the "shaky camera" movies-Blair Witch, Breaking The Waves, Dancer In The Dark, etc.-this was by far the shakiest. I've never felt so seasick while watching a film. Other than that, I liked it.)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

This does not make me want to see this film now. :frowning: This filming technique is one of the most obnoxious things I've ever come across outside of the split camera montage that some films used in the late 60's. :thumbsdown:

My votes

Below - I thought it was a decent B film. Equilibrium was just another Matrix clone. Not nearly as good though.

abstain - haven't seen either

Below over Equilibrium 6-3

Roger Dodger over Secretary 4-3

next

About Schmidt

vs.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

------------------------------

Talk To Her

vs.

What Time Is It There?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
About Schmidt
Talk to Her

I probably wouldn't watch About Schmidt again, but it's much better than the insulting "art house-lite" sensibilites of MBFGW. Bleah!

What Time Is It There? is slow-moving but ultimately rewarding. Talk to Her trumps it with originality.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Abstain.

Of the four, I've only seen What Time is it There?, which I was predisposed to like, but didn't. Actually, I thought it was painfully bad.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I haven't seen Talk to Her, but I'm considering renting it based on the good reviews. I did the same with All About My Mother and ended up HATING it with a firey passion, should I still try Talk to Her?

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Only seen one in each bracket. I'm really rooting for What Time Is It There?, a movie that gets under your skin and becomes better and better the more you reflect on it.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
About Schmidt, easy

very tough as these are both in my top 4 or 5 of the year. I think both are outstanding and I love each of them. Each represents the continued evolution of their directors: Tsai further from an isolated, pessimistic world to a connected, sympathetic and optimistic one, and Almodovar from frenetic and outrageous comedy to quiet, gentle love stories and artistic motifs. They have extremely contrasting styles, but both are really about the same things -- finding a person to connect with in a lonely world.

By just a smidge, What Time Is It There? (but if this results in an unbreakable 1-1 tie for Talk To Her, I'll step aside)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
About Schmidt
Talk to Her (normally like Almodovar, but was apprehensive due to an unappealing trailer which was played to death. Ended up loving it.)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
About Schmidt - easiest selection yet.

Abstain - will be able to see Talk to Her next week.

I didn't think Roger Dodger's filming technique was that distracting, definitely not as shakey as something like Blair Witch or the start of Irreversible. I didn't even realise it was all the shakey until you mentioned it.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
About Schmidt

abstain - no 'Time', but I've enjoyed everything I've seen from both Almodovar and Tsai.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

Same here, I just watched if for the first time a few days ago and had no idea they used the shakey camera technique.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks