What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The Anderson Tapes is a great director-star combo makes for a flawed but nevertheless entertaining caper movie.

The Anderson Tapes (1971)

Released: 01 Sep 1971
Rated: GP
Runtime: 99 min

Director: Sidney Lumet
Genre: Action, Crime, Thriller

Cast: Sean Connery, Dyan Cannon, Martin Balsam
Writer(s): Lawrence Sanders, Frank Pierson

Plot: After ten years in prison to protect a mafia family, Duke Anderson is released and he cashes in a debt of honor with the mob to bankroll a caper.

IMDB rating: 6.4
MetaScore: 61

Disc Information

Studio: Sony
Distributed By: Kino Lorber
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Audio: English 2.0 DTS-HDMA...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I really enjoyed this film after not seeing it for like 30 yrs. Typical great fluid, vibrant, vital Lumet direction. Very 1970s - in every way imaginable from photography to tone to social commentary. Connery and Lumet were excellent together in this, the 2nd of the 4 films they made together. Great casting too.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Great review. I haven't seen this movie since seeing it on its original theatrical run. I need to get this Blu-ray.
I was in exactly the same boat. I saw it on original release and remembered liking it though not with any great images in my mind, and I had never seen it since. I was happy to be reacquainted with it.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thank you Matt for your usual thorough and detailed review! You've answered every possible question that might have arisen, and refreshed my own dim memories of seeing this as an underage kid sneaking in to see it in 1971. I haven't seen it since, definitely a fascinating artifact of the nascent soon-to-be Watergate era and surveillance state (I'd love to see the Fed warrant authorizing the pervasive IRS electronic bugging of an entire apartment building, or was it just for one delinquent taxpayer occupant? Ha, ha!) but will get the new KL Blu at the first opportunity!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
In Cinerama? I guess only at the Fargo Cinema-70 theatre - https://incinerama.com/cinema-70.htm

1692556783837.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I want it to sell well so Kino will re-release other titles with better encodes and higher bit-rates.
Well, that's fine for you, but I don't like somebody else telling me how to spend my monies. It's none of their business and the same applies to me in regard to you or anyone else's spending.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks