What's new

"The Alamo"s Status? (1 Viewer)

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Vudu is Now available on 4K Firestick ! :D I just bought The Alamo (1960) in HDX. It looks Great ! ;) :banana:
aathe-alamo-1960_u-l-p98dfb0 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Great! As compared to...?

Reference, please.
The Vudu HD stream looks better on my 65" OLED than my 21 year old DVD. If it's ever released on Blu-ray then I'll buy it, but, until then this will have to suffice because I have no other choice. With that said, I wouldn't call it great, but good enough for now considering the current circumstances.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The Vudu HD stream looks better on my 65" OLED than my 21 year old DVD. If it's ever released on Blu-ray then I'll buy it, but, until then this will have to suffice because I have no other choice. With that said, I wouldn't call it great, but good enough for now considering the current circumstances.

Off the top of my head The Alamo as a stream also looks better than the Blu-rays of the following 70mm productions from big studios:

Mutiny on the Bounty
Battle of the Bulge
The Greatest Story Ever Told
Exodus
Hamlet
The Hallelujah Trail
Cleopatra
Airport

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
You need to change the stylus on laser players about every 75 hours. Better than CEDs, but one can easily shread a disc
A neologism: shread. The action of simultaneously reading and shredding a disc. It also used to happen very often while film ran through a projector, and the film shredded or burned.
As far as a stylus in the LD player is concerned, you should have acquired a model with a diamond-tip stylus. They last longer than 75 hours. ;)

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Since Amazon bought MGM, any insider guesses as to whether or not the new owners will undertake a reconstruction/restoration of The Alamo's original length?
Regardless of the length, or what rather--inconsequential--but--nice scenes could be restored to the movie, the fact that the print which resides/languishes in the MGM vaults happens to be the only remaining representation of the film's orig. 65mm photography is what matters, and is what we're here for..

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Regardless of the length, or what rather--inconsequential--but--nice scenes could be restored to the movie, the fact that the print which resides/languishes in the MGM vaults happens to be the only remaining representation of the film's orig. 65mm photography is what matters, and is what we're here for..
The print is only important because of the scenes than are missing in the general release version. For the general release version they still have the original camera negative (OCN) and separation masters. These do have their own issues but they should be in better shape than the 70mm roadshow print.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks