What's new

The Abbott & Costello Complete Universal Pictures Sets: Could A Blu-Ray Version Be Next? (1 Viewer)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just went through the OUT TAKES only and these are the films and run times:

PARDON MY SARONG: 3:44
IT AIN'T HAY: 7:04
HIT THE ICE: 12:31
LITTLE GIANT: 18:33
MEET FRANKENSTEIN: 15:22
AFRICA SCREAMS: 9:11

WOW! 65 minutes plus worth of out takes in only 6 movies. I wonder what else is out there?!

I'd say 90-95% of these we have not seen and you'll be thrilled, as I was, to see how clear these out takes are.

Every time we see them, they are so battered and old looking, these are as good as some of the first SDs of their movies.

Can't wait to get to the rest of the disc!

Last edited:

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
John, is this item also going to be made available on the DVD format as well, or is this strictly a Blu-Ray release?

It is on DVD. It's a Blu/DVD combo pack.

Attachments

• 81Mx-detlgL._SX466_.jpg
    81Mx-detlgL._SX466_.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 126

Likecats

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
I was at Walmart today and found some Abbott & Costello DVD sets that are for sale. The Best of Abbott & Costello Vol 1. The First 8 movies, 9.88, Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein, 6.88, and Abbott & Costello Meet The Mummy, 6.88. No flippers, all single sided. I thought it was a great deal!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Below is a list of recent Blu-ray releases of Abbott & Costello Features originally released by Universal, and other studios:

ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE MUMMY* (1955) - Available individually, and as part of THE MUMMY: COMPLETE LEGACY COLLECTION (Universal)
THE NOOSE HANGS HIGH (1948) - An Eagle-Lion Films production, originally distributed by MGM (Classic Flix)
DANCE WITH ME, HENRY* (1956) - A United Artists production (Olive)

* Released in its original Aspect Ratio.

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'll add that for those who have been on the fence in getting all 28 Abbott And Costello Universal Features (For those who still have the previous mid '00s flipper sets, IT AIN'T HAY is included in the above listed set!), at under a buck per film, today's a great day to pull the trigger!

CHEERS!:)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My grandson *loves* the routines "Who's on First" and "13 x 7 = 28" (probably his favorite - he proved it to his math teacher in the 5th grade - she's my age [we had some college classes together] and had never seen that one before!). He's laughed at every one of those we've watched together. Looks like he's going to get his own copy for Christmas! :D Thanks!

Last edited:

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for posting the sale info. I have the flipper sets and never got around to picking this up. This is a great price for this set and I just placed my order.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks for posting the sale info. I have the flipper sets and never got around to picking this up. This is a great price for this set and I just placed my order.
You can retire those flipper disc sets with confidence, as a couple of the features have had niggling issues rectified, such as BUCK PRIVATES (1941) and ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948) no longer having the bordered imaging at the end, which in my opinion, really mars the end gag in the former. Also, as an added bonus (All of the flipper set bonus features do remain!), six of the features include commentary tracks by among others, Gregory Mank, Ron Palumbo, and HTF's own Bob Furmanek! :)

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for the info, Tony. This set is an upgrade in several ways. And the price is really great!

I wonder if this set going at this price means a Bluray set is on the horizon?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks for the info, Tony. This set is an upgrade in several ways. And the price is really great!

I wonder if this set going at this price means a Bluray set is on the horizon?
I for one, wouldn't read too much into that deep discount pricing. A few years back, I was able to get "The Three Stooges Ultimate Collection" DVD set for under $30 on Amazon Canada (I know that U.S. Amazon has had similar discounts!), and the only "reissue" it's had to date, is a 17 DVD set that's minus the 3 disc "Rarities" collection. We can hope, though.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I ordered it while the sale was still on.. I prefer the box sets to be vertical , which this re-release is. I have the horizontal trunk but it takes up too much space :)
Watch Universal announce a blu ray set for all of the titles shortly lol :D

Movie Maven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
ed
that price didn't last long.....back up to $91.99 today.
its still 25.49 ...the 91.99 is one of the sellers, fulfilled by amazon ..only thing is if you buy it from amazon it "usually"ships in 2- 4 weeks...ordered anyway, suppose to get nov 3 -nov 24 free shipping...I can wait

Last edited:

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Just went through the OUT TAKES only and these are the films and run times:

PARDON MY SARONG: 3:44
IT AIN'T HAY: 7:04
HIT THE ICE: 12:31
LITTLE GIANT: 18:33
MEET FRANKENSTEIN: 15:22
AFRICA SCREAMS: 9:11

WOW! 65 minutes plus worth of out takes in only 6 movies. I wonder what else is out there?!

I'd say 90-95% of these we have not seen and you'll be thrilled, as I was, to see how clear these out takes are.

Every time we see them, they are so battered and old looking, these are as good as some of the first SDs of their movies.

Can't wait to get to the rest of the disc!

On meet Frankenstein . This dvd has 15 min of out-takes that is not on the official blu-ray ? If not where did this footage come from ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks