What's new

The A-Team: Season One (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that's more or less it. There is no minimum purchase, and the first disc is pretty cheap (with the right promo code, it's free with shipping - about 4 bucks).

They do ship one a month to you, but if you tell them to send several at once, you get a price break (about 15-17 a disc).

The early discs have 2 episodes, and later they put 3 episodes on each. They are indeed in order, but they do skip the odd episode here and there (rights issues, I'll wager).

I got mine a year or so ago, when there was no hope of getting anything on DVD, so I dont feel so bad. I got my moneys worth out of them for sure.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I'm in for the excellent first season of this series.

The series seemed to go into "safe repetitive mode" starting with the middle of the second season, much to the chagrin of the fans that had been hooked by the initial year.

But, the first season was great! And I'm a big George Peppard fan from way back, so I have to have at least some of this series in my collection.

In my opinion, NBC would've fared much better with the series by making it into a string of two-hour "A-TEAM movies" which would have aired only during sweeps periods. Or perhaps they could've done a weekly "Action movie", with four rotating shows, like the old "NBC Mystery Theater" which included "Columbo", "Banacek", "McCloud", and "McMillan and Wife".

There just didn't seem to be enough to the premise to warrant a sustained, interesting, weekly series. The fact that they were able to pull it off in the first season was a minor miracle!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm totally getting this series, I actually like the later seasons as they got so completley stupid, I can't help but enjoy them.

Derek P

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the last episode in the 4th season (??) where the team had to go back to Vietanm was one of there best. It was one of the only written by the co-creator Frank Lupo.

Also does anyone know will these be the broadcast versions or syndicated?
Thanks.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, it looks like syndicated, at least in regards to the pilot. That was originally a single, feature-length episode, but they're apparently going for the two-part syndicated version.

I love the Pilot. Face is different, of course, and I'm glad Benedict came along, but this guy would have worked out, too. And, there's some great stuff with Hannibal as Mr. Lee, and the Hannibal/BA airport scene is great.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I just gave this set a quick review. The pilot episode is presented in its original 95-minute version with original title sequence, not the two-part syndication version.

The packaging is a nice, four-panel digipak with a printed "see-thru" plastic sleeve (like the "Underworld" SE). The four discs are single-sided with artwork. There is a pocket for an insert, but mine didn't contain one. I doubt there is supposed to be one, since the digipak panels have episode descriptions, cast photos and character bios printed within. It's a much better packaging job than Universal did with "The Incredible Hulk" not long ago.

The discs have a "Play All" option, and the episodes each have their own chapters. If you select an individual episode, another screen appears with text describing the episode and its original airdate. An option for selecting the episode's chapters is also on this screen. I only wish they had placed a chapter stop immediately after the opening titles. I'd like to see it become standard practice for TV-on-DVD to place chapter breaks after the opening titles, at each commercial break and right before the end titles. The longest stretch of programming between chapters would never be more than 15 minutes anyway, so I don't see the need to have them anywhere else. Oh well, it's better than none.

Universal has included the opening "teaser" sequence before the main titles for each episode. This 30-second teaser also served as the preview for the next week's episode (it was actually shown first at the end of the last week's episode, but you get the idea). The "next week's preview" are not included at the end, but at least they're included as "teaser" intros. Since these teasers are 30 seconds each, omitting them would allow an additional minute of commercial time during syndication.

Don't worry when you see the transfers as the discs start: they get much better once the titles end. The main title sequences used the common practice of combining clips from various episodes with "freeze-frames" under the then-standard optically-printed titles. This method almost always introduced very heavy grain, and many times, blurry images. Once the titles end, the transfer of the actual episode vastly improves. There are still occasional instances of dirt and scratches, but the presentations are much better than most other studios' TV offerings. Universal's filmed TV shows have a very, well, filmlike quality. I've always thought they had the best-looking TV transfers.

I have a few "A-Team" episodes on PAL/R2 discs, and compared to the same episodes from this set, the new ones are a big improvement. I would still say that Universal's transfers on last year's "Hulk" set are the best I've seen from them, but these come pretty close. They appear to have been struck from new prints, or at least very well preserved ones. They seem to get better in quality as the season progresses. The major instances of dirt and grain appear in the "stock footage" scenes, but that's to be expected. I don't believe any serious remastering was done on these episodes, but they're MUCH better than Columbia's ("Charlie's Angels") or Warner's ("Dukes of Hazzard") efforts. I've always felt that Universal took better care of their TV masters over the years, at least they've looked better to me in reruns and video than other studios' programs.

So, Universal, you were a little late to the TV-on-DVD party, but with your recent releases and new announcements, my confidence in your ability has been affirmed.

Bring 'em on!

*A quick update I thought I should mention...
Although the pilot IS the original 95-minute version, the digipak's episode wrongly indicates it as "Mexican Slayride: Parts 1 & 2", or episodes 1 & 2 of the 14 listed.
There are technically 12 episodes, plus this pilot movie. The pilot is titled only "The A-Team" on screen: there is no "Mexican Slayride" title. This title was added only after it was re-edited to form the sydicated two-part episode. There is a nice break in the action (and a fade-to-black) around the 46 minute mark, which is probably where the pilot was divided for syndication.

I hope when Universal gets around to some of my other favorite series, they'll present their pilots as originally broadcast, and not have liner note errors like the one noted above. Universal, if you're listening (and you should be!) "The Rockford Files" pilot is NOT to be referred to as "Backlash of the Hunter-Parts 1 & 2", and "The Six Million Dollar Man" pilot should not be called "The Moon and the Desert-Parts 1 & 2". (By the way: these two pilots were only 75 minutes each, so the two-part syndicated versions were "padded" with redundant footage to "stretch" them to the two required 50 minute parts. Under NO circumstance should these versions be used for ANY dvd release!!!)

And, in a surprise move: Universal has denied us the usual assortment of "bonus" forced previews. :emoji_thumbsup:

And wait...it gets better: the chapter skip button actually works to bypass the studio logos and FBI warning! Thank you! It's about time! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

(Although this was probably just a mastering error that will be fixed on future pressings) :D

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Wow! Thanks for the review! I had just accepted that we were getting the syndication version of the pilot, but it's great to know that was incorrect. I can't wait to get this on Tuesday.

It also gives me great hope for Quantum Leap and the other upcoming Universal TV releases.

MattHR

Screenwriter
A word of advice when opening the package...

The digipak comes in a clear plastic outer "sleeve" that is open at the top and bottom (like "X-Files"). It's very easy for the digipak to drop out of the bottom when handling. I just carefully trimmed the shrinkwrap off the TOP of the set only, leaving the rest of the package covered. This keeps the digipak in place, and also protects the plastic sleeve from "wear and tear". It's pretty sturdy shrinkwrap, so it should stay in place if carefully trimmed at the top.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So - are there any extras on the disc at all? I mean, beyond the traillers, that is. I'm still getting the series, mind you - but it would be nice to have some gravy on the side with my ham and cheese.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Sorry, I forgot the mention there are no extras. However, I do feel the lack of forced trailers and ability to skip right to the menu is sort of a bonus.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I know I'm weird, but I always feel so sorry for Amy (Melinda Culea) -- the pilot presented her as a potentially interesting character, like a Howard Hawks heroine, and then she had literally nothing to do from then on. She was fired in the middle of the second season in the most humiliating way possible (she got a script and found it had no lines in it for her character) for the most humiliating reason possible (George Peppard took a dislike to her and turned the rest of the cast against her).

Yeah, I know a woman, especially a woman who had no connection with Vietnam, had no business with the A-Team in the first place. But the character really worked in the pilot, and with a bit better writing... well, spilt milk.

Stephen J*

Stunt Coordinator
A favorite from when I was a kid (and Tuesday night was A-Team night!), I'm really tempted.

Funniest thing I remember about the A-Team was that the opening theme music was used (probably without permission) by a Chinese evening news broadcast!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I haven't watched it yet, but you can read the review linked not far above this post, or read the HTF review in this forum. The packaging is a bit heart-stopping, though: the inner packaging is cardboard, and the outer packaging is a tight plastic sleeve. I had trouble putting the inner back in, and I think the cardboard will accumulate a lot of wear and tear if it's removed and replaced often enough.

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Season 1 is a gas. Does anyone know if it's selling well? Any word on more? I remember the shows got very interchangeable and I'm worried they won't release 4 whole more seasons of it. Would they do a best of? I guess I'd vote for the first 1/3 of season 2 and some of the goofier ones from season 4 (I think that's where they had the golf course version of the standard A-team chase, complete with a golf cart that flips!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks