What's new

TCFHE Press Release: STAR WARS Movies Celebrated With New Limited Edition SteelBooks (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes, Ron, those trailers pretty much capture the gist of what Lucas did. Although, I have to say watching the two versions back to back the way we did really gave me the perspective of a "true fan" of these films. I mean if Stanley Kubrick went back and inserted CGI characters into Dr. Strangelove (a film I've watched probably more than any other) I'd be pretty thrown by it. As a fan of a film you have watched many times you become very aware of every beat of the picture. Watching the two versions of Star Wars back to back allowed me to have a real feel for the original version before I watched the Lucas version.

I know a lot of directors have gone back and changed their films but Coppola creating his longer cut of Apocalypse Now (another of my all time favorite films) is nothing compared to what Lucas did to his film...which as described by the audience that participated in this experiment with me was "aggravating and distracting with no rhyme or reason to all the additional CGI."

Honestly, what I was expecting was something on the level of the changes made to Star Trek the original series on Blu-ray. A sort of upgrading of some of the existing effects using newer technology. The thing is on the Star Trek blu-rays these changes are done so as not to distract or radically alter the episodes and so they are pretty much seamlessly incorporated so you do not focus on them.

The Star Wars changes seem to have been made by a child with ADD and draw your focus from the original scenes to, and I quote here from one of my fellow viewers, "...wondering why there are 30 CGI kangaroo rats jumping (or badly sliding) around for no understandable reason."

It would have been one thing if George added a character riding a dinosaur in the background but instead he inserts dinosaurs all over the place including making sure one passes by blocking out everything else in the scene as if to scream at us "You have to look at all the dinosaurs I've added! I have crossed my film with Jurassic Park! Isn't it awesome!"

Before I watched this I knew that a lot of people were angered at the change of having Greedo shoot first at Han but the truth is that change is tiny in comparison to all of the other nutty stuff he inserts. The additions with the CGI all seem to be made with the specific intent of making us look at all these new creatures or robots whizzing and wandering about. They are not subtle nor do they add to the story or texture of the film...they seem almost like a prank by some high school kid that learned how to insert CGI into a film and did so to annoy the viewers.

I feel like I owe an apology to Star Wars fans for being amused by their anger all these years but until I watched this I never could have imagined how silly the changes George made were.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Then I'll know if I'm as upset as some of you about the alterations.

Wait till Hayden Christensen pops out in the original trilogy, then you will know! :D

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
hayden_christensen_1184698470.jpg

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Reggie W said:
I feel like I owe an apology to Star Wars fans for being amused by their anger all these years but until I watched this I never could have imagined how silly the changes George made were.
You don't owe all of them an apology because some are ridiculous idiots. I've seen people wish George Lucas and his kids dead because he changed a movie. People that dumb deserve to be laughed at (and feared). I think all fans have a right to want, be disappointed or even be mad that the originals aren't available but some people are just fucking crazy and have turned whining or raging about Star Wars into an art form or have turned it into a blood feud on par with the Capulets and the Montagues.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just really hope the unaltered Original Trilogy is released on Blu-Ray someday.

My personal opinion is pretty grim on the matter though. I think as time goes by It is being forgotten, and will be deemed unimportant, and or unnecessary to remaster. As long as people continue to buy the trilogy and break records in sales every time it is released, then what is the point?

Keep those "bonus content" DVD's and hope someday we will get better :(

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
SamT said:
Reggie, if you watched the DVD, you saw the "good" versions. The movies are changed further and the Bluray versions are even worse.

Yes, I did not know that Lucas further altered the films for the blu-rays until I got the "handouts" at the screening the other night. I have to say, none of the changes were good and I'm afraid on Blu-ray they may become even more egregious.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Reggie W said:
Yes, I did not know that Lucas further altered the films for the blu-rays until I got the "handouts" at the screening the other night. I have to say, none of the changes were good and I'm afraid on Blu-ray they may become even more egregious.
The Blu-ray only has a handful of fairly innocuous changes EXCEPT it adds an incredibly poorly looped line into the climax of Return Of The Jedi.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Bryan^H said:
I just really hope the unaltered Original Trilogy is released on Blu-Ray someday.

My personal opinion is pretty grim on the matter though. I think as time goes by It is being forgotten, and will be deemed unimportant, and or unnecessary to remaster. As long as people continue to buy the trilogy and break records in sales every time it is released, then what is the point?
Disney knows there's demand and if there's one thing that they know how to do, it's make money from old movies so I'm actually optimistic about the chances of the originals coming out. It might take until 2020 when they get the distribution rights back from Fox but if I had to bet, I'd say it'll happen.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
SilverWook said:
It's part and parcel of the overall experience. There's hardly a fan who doesn't get goosebumps hearing that fanfare, then seeing the Fox logo followed by the Lucasfilm one. It takes us all back to that first time we saw these films. Most of us anyway. ;)

The Fox fanfare has been part of every SW soundtrack release since 1993.
Also this was the first time in a few years that the sound of the fanfare was heard!!!

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
TravisR said:
You don't owe all of them an apology because some are ridiculous idiots. I've seen people wish George Lucas and his kids dead because he changed a movie. People that dumb deserve to be laughed at (and feared). I think all fans have a right to want, be disappointed or even be mad that the originals aren't available but some people are just fucking crazy and have turned whining or raging about Star Wars into an art form or have turned it into a blood feud on par with the Capulets and the Montagues.

Well, yes, people that want to do harm to Mr. Lucas I would not have an apology for...probably more a recommendation to seek psychiatric help. What I mean is that I never took their concerns seriously and as somebody that loves film I should have. I just did not realize how ridiculous and needless what he added to the film was. I would be upset as well if somebody added CGI elephants and riders in a bunch of scenes from Lawrence of Arabia. While I don't think Star Wars is as good a film as Lawrence, it is, as pointed out by people I watched it with the other night, a pop culture touchstone and piece of pop art on the level of Warhol's painting and as such deserves to be preserved in its original form...even if the director likes his kangaroo rats bouncing about and dinosaurs wandering around.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So here's the question that came up the other night, and it's an obvious one, are there fans of the films that actually prefer the digitally altered versions over the theatrical versions? I mean none of us could imagine people preferring those changes.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Reggie W said:
So here's the question that came up the other night, and it's an obvious one, are there fans of the films that actually prefer the digitally altered versions over the theatrical versions? I mean none of us could imagine people preferring those changes.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I prefer the special editions, but I don't completely hate them.

If I'm watching all of the films together including the prequels, I think the special edition versions work better when watching them all together in story order.

I think the biggest problem with the special editions is the "look at me!!" quality to some of the added effects. To me, a lot of them stick out like sore thumbs, and they don't seem very well integrated within the frame - they seem like something drawn over the movie, rather than something included within the movie. I'm not sure if that's a limitation of CGI back in 1997, or if it has to do with adding CGI to shots that were never intended to have any, or what, but the integration of CGI into the live action environment just isn't convincing to me the way it is in a lot of modern movies. The added effects that don't really stand out, like some of the redone space battle shots, don't bother me and some are pretty cool in and of themselves.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Reggie W said:
Having spent time on Star Wars message boards, I've seen kids who grew up on the prequels say it but it's uncommon and I think they're mostly saying it just to aggravate people.

Personally, I prefer the originals but I don't hate the Special Editions. I think the bad (noticeable CG in Mos Eisley, Han shoots first, the "NOOOOOO" in ROTJ) outweighs the good (the better space battle effects in the first movie) but the fun that I have watching Star Wars isn't lost by the changes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Reggie W said:
I don't remember hating them, but I have to see the blu-rays then the theatrical versions to know for sure.

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
All of the (few) people that I have seen who prefer the SEs seem to be coming from the perspective of 'whatever George Lucas says is right.'

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I've encountered a lot of people online over the years who claim to prefer the SE's. Variations on "Respect George's vision" were often repeated like a mantra. Rational arguments about film preservation were blown off. Some have fallen silent since the Disney deal, (but not before expressing concern about George handing off the reins) others are still around in places like TFN.

Amazingly, I've seen some soften their position after the Blu Ray changes. Vader's new NOOOOOOOOO! seems to have been the tipping point. I suspect those that have only ever known the 1997 versions finally understood what us cranky old fans were complaining about.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Josh Steinberg said:
I wouldn't go so far as to say I prefer the special editions, but I don't completely hate them.

If I'm watching all of the films together including the prequels, I think the special edition versions work better when watching them all together in story order.

I think the biggest problem with the special editions is the "look at me!!" quality to some of the added effects. To me, a lot of them stick out like sore thumbs, and they don't seem very well integrated within the frame - they seem like something drawn over the movie, rather than something included within the movie. I'm not sure if that's a limitation of CGI back in 1997, or if it has to do with adding CGI to shots that were never intended to have any, or what, but the integration of CGI into the live action environment just isn't convincing to me the way it is in a lot of modern movies. The added effects that don't really stand out, like some of the redone space battle shots, don't bother me and some are pretty cool in and of themselves.
The new Death Star battle shots stick out to me like a sore thumb. They just don't blend in with the original model shots.

Since they were still doing things "old school" even on the prequels, I don't understand why they just didn't dust off the original X Wing and TIE fighter miniatures, and create new motion control shots. The new Jawa sandcrawler shots manage to blend in, because it's the original model.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Reggie W said:
I don't prefer any changes (with ONE exception*). But there are definitely a few changes that I find "niffy" or "pretty cool". The busy CGI of Mos Eisley is definitely annoying and makes me think of the prequels, but the CGI expansion of Cloud City is kind of cool. It was fun watching those scenes back in '97 and seeing more of the city (Cloud City is probably my favorite Star Wars locale). The CGI in those few shot were nothing like the annoying "busy-ness" of Mos Eisley. But I still prefer the original non-CGI since it DOES just take you out of the film, even if it's a cool novelty to see once or twice. The changes that bug me the most though are the ones like Vader's "Bring my shuttle." in Empire being changed and the "NOOOOOOO!" added in Jedi. Luke's screaming as he falls down the chasm was awful, but I believe it was taken out in the '04 version and has been gone since. And Hayden replacing Anakin's ghost in Jedi is awful. My overall view on Lucas making changes IS "Lucas can do whatever he wants", BUT what bother's me is that he doesn't want ANYONE to be able to experience the original version they prefer unless they blow-up the picture on the '06 DVD or watch it on a tube-tv (this is actually how I watch the trilogy since it just looks AWFUL blowing up the picture to 16:9).

*As for the one change I prefer: the new music at the end of Jedi that replaced "Yub Nub". I never cared for "Yub Nub" even as a kid, but the new music in the SE is GREAT. If I could have my own custom version, I WOULD have the whole trilogy un-changed but have the new Jedi music at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks