What's new

TC-P58VT25 Replacement for TH-58PZ800U (1 Viewer)

Bob_Wilson

Agent
After waiting for almost two months for my TH-58PZ800U to be repaired, we have a new TC-P58VT25 sitting in the living room. The Z800U crapped out a week before the end of the 12 warranty period. We waited and waited and waited for the parts to come in for the set to be repaired. Multiple calls produced ever later estimates of when the parts would arrive. When the last call response was, "it arrived last night, but let me check," followed by a long delay and, "It did not arrive and I don't know when it will be there," I had had enough and demanded that the television be replaced.

I rejected Panasonic offer to refund the purchase price because a new set with the same features as the Z800U had, especially the THX mode, would cost more than the refund. After several additional calls and emails, Panasonic agreed to replace the TV. So far the new set is performing flawlessly. Don't have a clue how well the 3D will work because we do not have a 3D player or any 3D media. If and when we get both, I'll let everyone know how it looks.

Bob_Wilson

Agent
I just read Peter Olson's thread about his new TC-P65VT25 television and saw Ron's interest in the set. I have not see the set do it's 3D trick, but I can comment on the picture as compared to the TH-58PZ800U. Although ostensibly the resolution is identical (2,073,600 pixels), there is considerably more detail in the VT25 than there was in the Z800U, even up close to the screen. Perhaps it is the increase in the contrast ratio from !:1,000,000 to 1:5,000,000 that allows one to see the detail, but I'm not sure. Whatever the reason, the difference in performance is remarkable. The THX mode seems to have been improved as well, but I say that with less than four hours total view time with the VT25. I'll make additional comments as I discover more about the set.

Real Name
Matthew
i was looking at purchasing this (54") or the LG le8500 55 i was curious if your thoughts on this

Bob_Wilson

Agent
Originally Posted by unknownuser200

i was looking at purchasing this (54") or the LG le8500 55 i was curious if your thoughts on this

I did not look at any TVs this round other than the Panasonic plasma sets to determine which was the best replacement for my old set, so I cannot comment on the LG model.

Bob_Wilson

Agent
Originally Posted by Bob_Wilson

Perhaps it is the increase in the contrast ratio from !:1,000,000 to 1:5,000,000 that allows one to see the detail, but I'm not sure.

It might also be that the movie I was watching was broadcast in 1080P rather than 720P or 480P. I don't really know how the various movie channels and providers really present their movies, regardless of what they may say.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks