What's new

Talked to a Salesman @ a local specialty HT ctr. today, is he accurate? (1 Viewer)

Duke72

Agent
Real Name
Brian Aucoin
I told him I was getting the Panasonic AX100U projector, he told me it was junk. He said 2000 lumens were low and that I would be changing bulbs once a year or so. Is this accurate? am I going to cheap on a projector? I heard that you get a lot of bang for your buck w/ this one. My room will be very dark does the lumens matter as much in a dark room?

For Audio he recommended the following:

Receiver Denon AVR2307C
DVD Denon 1930C
Filter Panamax M-5100E
Speakers Boston Accoustics DSI-460
Flush mount in wall
Center Boston Acc. VRC
Sub Boston Acc. XB-6

How does that sound "Literally"

Brent_S

Second Unit
Read some of the reviews at projectorcentral, as recommended above. 2000 lumens is probably viewable even with some ambient room lighting, it's probably too much if you're viewing completely in the dark. My projector which probably has only 300-400ish lumens after calibration (only 1100 in factory torch mode), has no problem lighting up a 84" DIY blackout cloth screen.

Bulb life is generally given in terms of hours; how much you use it determines how often you will replace it. 40 hours a week for 52 weeks would be a little over 2000 hours a year.

What was he trying to sell you instead?

-Brent

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
That salesman is full of crap. Let me guess: They don't sell that projector, or he wants to sell you one that's more expensive, so he makes more commission. You don't need so many lumens in a dark room. The 2000 lumens is only in high brightness mode. In my opinion, the AX100 is overpriced. You're paying extra for the AX100 for the high lumens, lens shift and long zoom(Do you need the lens shift and long zoom?). I would recommend the Sanyo Z5(if you want LCD) since you don't need the extra lumens, plus it has a 3 year warranty. Are you considering a DLP projector? I prefer a DLP projector, but you need to decide which you prefer. There are now two 720p DLP projectors under $1,000: Mitsubishi HD1000 and Optoma HD70. I'm going to be upgrading to one of these in the near future. Also read the reviews at Projectorreviews.com. He does a much better job.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
The other issue is lamp-life. If your typical usage is 4-6 movies a week, and not much else, then it could be every 3-4 years (eco mode) or 2-3 hears high-mode.

2000 lumens is pretty bright if you've got light control and are only looking for, say, a 100" screen. Or even, maybe 150".

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks