What's new

System set-up with no Cable Internet (1 Viewer)

Tchout

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Spence
Interested in products for a semi-unique set of circumstances.
Wishing to upgrade from mid-90s era components. Local Audio company wanted to set me up with a Sonos-based system but could not get past the fact that I do not have cable internet, and therefore no router-generated Wi-Fi.

System would cover 3 zones: 1. 20-20ft TV watching room with 14ft peak ceiling and hard-wired speaker locations in four corners, 8ft above floor level; 2&3 Outdoor entertainment zones with 8 hard-wired Polk (4 speakers in each zone) in-ceiling speakers.

I desire (in priority order): Power to all three zones; Surround sound audio for TV/Movie watching; Compact Disc and/or a digital library device for CDs and other digital music; Control via wireless digital device or iPhone.

I tried to run this setup off just a 90s-era A/V receiver at 100watt/ch through a Pyle speaker switcher but ran into protection circuit problems.

Have recommendation that I need a A/V receiver, primarily for the home theater, linked to a separate amp to drive Zones 2 and 3. Have not had any recs on solving the remote control desire.

I'm partial to Yamaha and Sony products but would consider all brands to achieve the desired results.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
First things first. Do you have no internet at all? If you do, you know you can buy a router and set up your own Wi-Fi.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Interested in products for a semi-unique set of circumstances.
Wishing to upgrade from mid-90s era components. Local Audio company wanted to set me up with a Sonos-based system but could not get past the fact that I do not have cable internet, and therefore no router-generated Wi-Fi.

System would cover 3 zones: 1. 20-20ft TV watching room with 14ft peak ceiling and hard-wired speaker locations in four corners, 8ft above floor level; 2&3 Outdoor entertainment zones with 8 hard-wired Polk (4 speakers in each zone) in-ceiling speakers.

I desire (in priority order): Power to all three zones; Surround sound audio for TV/Movie watching; Compact Disc and/or a digital library device for CDs and other digital music; Control via wireless digital device or iPhone.

I tried to run this setup off just a 90s-era A/V receiver at 100watt/ch through a Pyle speaker switcher but ran into protection circuit problems.

Have recommendation that I need a A/V receiver, primarily for the home theater, linked to a separate amp to drive Zones 2 and 3. Have not had any recs on solving the remote control desire.

I'm partial to Yamaha and Sony products but would consider all brands to achieve the desired results.

Echoing John's question, "what's your current Internet situation?" That's the starting point.

This can be done in a couple of ways. The easiest and least expensive would be through either a hard-wired or WiFi network. This is how I achieve similar functionality. DLNA [Digital Living Network Alliance] is widely supported at this point. With a robust network and suitable software it can deliver server-based audio and video to any compatible network-connected playback device throughout your space. If you're savvy enough you can do it yourself, otherwise you might want to hire a professional.

The other way is through companies like Creston and Control4. These solutions are more elegant but also proprietary and much more expensive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks