What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Symphonic Metal - Dutch (1 Viewer)

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Sorry for the double-post, but there's a LOT going on in the realm of Symphonic Metal right now.

First: The Century Media website (cmdistro (dot) com) has three Nightwish CDs available for $5 bucks each: "Angels Fall First," "Oceanborn," and"Wishmaster." While I DOUBT they are the recent re-issues with bonus tracks, but for $5 bucks, it's a no-brainer if you don't own them. I picked up a few $5 goodies while I was there: Anneke's (ex-The Gathering) recent "Air" CD, "faith" by Eyes of Eden, and "The Scroll of Stone" by Magica. And I gave "The Hallowing" by Autumn Tears a shot, too.

I'm LOVING the new Delain. I think it's a must-own, especially for the song "Invidia." You also should give a listen to the new Amberian Dawn "The Clouds of Northland Thunder." VERY Tarja-era Nightwish, and I mean that in a very good way!
I also picked up the new Leaves' Eyes EP "My Destiny," which is worth owning for the cover of "Scarborough Fair" alone.

If you do MySpace at all, look for a New Jersey band called "Operatika." VERY good, even if the guitarist does WAY too much f what I call "guitar masturbation." I bought the CD, and I really like it. They played a NJ sh*those called Dingbat's last Friday night. I should have gone, but I was too tired for ANYTHING...

And an old friend at Roadrunner pointed me toward a band called Amaranthe (also through MySpace). Hot female vocalist, three male vocalists. They're worth the "browse."

I also bought a bunch of stuff from Laser's Edge, including the Stream of Passion DVD. If you're not a fan of Ayreon, you should probably pass it up, but the female vocalist/violinist is pretty amazing. They also have the Epica "We'll Take You with Us" CD and DVD that are marked as "discontinued by manufacturer" at Amazon. They have Imperia's "Queen of Light" for $8.

I bought the Operatika CD for 12 bucks through Amazon Marketplace. Although the CD is genuine, the merchant also has a website called metalseason(dot)com,and it seems REALLY shady to me. They're hawking the out of print Epica CDs "Consign to Oblivion" and "The Score" for $12 bucks each, while Amazon has two available through other merchants for a king's ransom. I'm DYING to own these cds, but take a look at the site and tell me if it seems a little "too good to be true." They have a 5-star rating on Amazon, but that's from only 13 reviews (and the reviewers all have less than 15 "hits" each)!

I'm sorry, I just can't let this thread die!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
This thread will never die!!

Some cool stuff you mentioned. I agree that the new Delain is awesome. I tried listening to Operatika a while back, but the I just could not get past the ridiculous guitar masturbation.

The last thing I bought was the new Amberian Dawn. Total Tarja era Nightwish ripoff but it's a well done ripoff. It also sounds a lot more polished than their debut CD. I also got the second CD by Midnattsol. The lead singer is the sister of Liv Kristine, singer of Leaves' Eyes. She's not quite as good a singer, but the guitar player in the band is incredible. I only got the second Midnattsol because the first one sounds a lot different and in my opinion, nowhere as good.

We've hit a really long stretch of nothing lately. Nightwish only just started thinking about a new CD. Within Temptation is on break after Sharon had a kid. Epica though is hard at work on their new one which is only a couple of months away. I can't wait for that. Also, Kamelot is in the middle of recording their new CD. Looking forward to that one too.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Don't have the new Midnattsol yet, but it's on my list. How'd you like to go to this:

...too bad it's in Belgium, Oh, and Krypteria were added to the bill after Sirenia cancelled...

...and the Epica gig promises pyro and a DVD release!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I just bought "Over The Hills and Far Away", "Angels Fall First", and "Once".

Thanks for the heads up on Epica's double CD and Nightwish's Blu-ray. Both I will have to get on order.

Lots of bands on that poster I'm not familiar with, looks like I'll have to start searching YouTube and listening to them.

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
When you get the Epica double CD, try to get the import version. The domestic version is missing the Pirates of the Caribbean symphonic track.

The new Leaves' Eyes is out now. I picked it up and it is their best work yet. Sounds a lot more polished than their earlier releases. They've revamped the line up a bit now. There is a new drummer and a new female bass player. Liv Kristine is still as awesome as ever though.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I just YouTubed "Leaves' Eyes", amazing! Love it! James, can you recommend your second favorte CD of theirs? I'd to order up a couple of their's.

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
They only have three full studio CDs and a double CD live set out, but in order of what to get I would go with this:

1. Njord (the newest one)
2. We Came with the Northern Winds - an incredible 4 disc set of a recent live show they did. 2 discs are DVDs of the concert and the others are the audio recording of the concert. The production quality of the concert and the CD/DVD package is really nice.
3. Vinland Saga (their 2nd studio album)
4. Lovelorn (their first album)

They also have various EPs and singles that include songs not on any of the studio albums, but I would say those are for the hardcore fans who want everything Leaves' Eyes.

Starting with their first album, if you listen to their stuff in release order you can really get a good sense of how the band evolved. To me, Njord, their latest shows a lot of growth in the progression of their sound. The 4 disc live set is just a great package and shows what they are really all about as live performers. Obviously, Liv Kristine is front and center of the band's identity. She is simply stunning in concert, and is up there with Tarja and Sharon den Adel as some of the top symphonic metal female voices.

Leaves' Eyes and Epica are the two bands I really really want to see live in concert. Anyhow, hope you enjoy whichever Leaves' Eyes you end up getting!

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
WOW! I didn't realize that "Njord" was out already! I thought the release date was 9/25. Did you get the version with the bonus tracks?
I need to pick that up, along with the new Midnattsol...
I keep looking at that poster and can't help but thinking what a massive letdown the second day would be. The lineup isn't as good, except I think the lineup has changed to include an acoustic set by Leaves' Eyes, which would improve things nicely. I just can't see Tarja being the show-closer, especially since I doubt she'll be doing any Nightwish numbers. It's also too bad that Sirenia dropped off the bill (listen to me, you'd think I was GOING).
It looks as if Epica is filming their show for a future DVD release (and Blu-Ray, hope hope). I can't wait to see Simone's flaming hair flying, even if it's only on a disc. Their new album will be out soon, so here's to hoping a tour brings them to our respective shores...
Ron, if you haven't YouTubed Epica's "Never Enough" clip, you need to ASAP. Although Sharon den Adel is my personal goddess, there is no doubt in my mind that Simone Simons is the sexiest woman to grace this type of music. That's why I keep posting pics of her over in the "Tribute to Redheads" thread /img/vbsmilies/htf/drool.gif.
And, for the love of all that i sacred, could Epica re-release "Consign to Oblivion" and "The Score"? I don't know how I missed them, but they're out of print (except on a website that I don't trust)...
James is certainly right about the Leaves' Eyes DVD/CD package. It's astounding, and the 2 1/2 hour (!) documentary alone is worth the price of admission. The only bummer for me is that they don't play "Misseri" and "Senses Capture" (the latter being a "b-side," but it's my favorite LE track).

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Don Giro /forum/thread/282449/symphonic-metal-dutch/90#post_3605322
Ron, if you haven't YouTubed Epica's "Never Enough" clip, you need to ASAP. Although Sharon den Adel is my personal goddess, there is no doubt in my mind that Simone Simons is the sexiest woman to grace this type of music. That's why I keep posting pics of her over in the "Tribute to Redheads" thread /img/vbsmilies/htf/drool.gif.
I own most everything Epica has done, including the CD with "Never Enough".
Sharon den Adel, she's the lead for Within Temptation correct? I love her voice, didn't like ti much at first but after time it's grown on me quite a bit, but I have yet to buy any of there stuff. Something I need to fix. I had no idea there were so many great bands for this genre of music.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
You don't own any Within Temptation?

Start with "Black Symphony," their live CD/DVD. The US release only has half the concert on the CD, but the DVD is the full concert. It's well worth the $20-$25.

I have the US version, the 4-disc Dutch import (comes with a bonus concert minus the symphony orchestra and choir and many more bonus features, plus the entire concert on two CDs (beware, the DVDs are PAL format). Then the Blu-Ray came out, so I picked that up as well. The Blu-Ray contains both concerts and all the bonus features (but no CDs). The PAL Blu-Ray plays fine on my PS3, but the second disc is a PAL DVD which will only play on my Toshiba DVD player (which handles the PAL format without a hitch).

Sharon is not quite as beautiful as Simone (and Simone has a better operatic voice), but I love Sharon above ALL singers of this genre. "Black Symphony" explains my obsession, and she comes off as a sweet, funny person in the hours and hours of bonus features I own (don't get me started on the 3 hours of extras on their "Silent Force Tour" DVD...PAL only if you're interested).

And that's why Sharon is my personal goddess (and hopefully, my reward in the afterlife! )

Oh, this genre is HUGE...your wallet will start groaning before long. Mine sure does...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
For those into this music if you don't mind, post your top 5 female bands. It's tough searching for different bands on YouTube and such.

I do have most everything Epica and Nightwish has done but I'm looking for more, more like those bands.

Thanks,

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
If you have all the Epica and Nightwish, you're off to a good start. Within Temptation is my favorite, followed by Nightwish and Epica. My fourth and fifth choices can't be narrowed any further, really. Candidates for the last spots would be: Leaves' Eyes, Sirenia, Delain, Xandria, Lunatica, and After Forever (but they broke up, sadly).

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
My top 5:

Nightwish
Within Temptation
Leaves' Eyes
Epica
Edenbridge
I love all the bands Don mentioned as well. I'd add Midnattsol, Lacuna Coil, Nemesea, Amberian Dawn, Elis, Visions of Atlantis.

Yeah that should keep you busy for a while.../img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
For sure, thanks.

I just got an email from Amazon stating that Leaves Eyes "Njord (Limited Edition)" has been delayed until mid-October. Seems kinda late to be pushing back a release date? What a bummer I was really looking forward to this.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I got the limited edition of Leaves' Eyes "Njord" from Laser's Edge last week. It's true, all the bands Ron mentions are awesome. I'd also add Xandria and Sirenia to that list, but you'll be busy enough as it is.

CMDistro (dot) com has several goodies for under $2.50 to $5.00 in their "Clearance" section, notably the first three Nightwish CDs ($2.50 each!) and "Faith" by Eyes of Eden ($2.00!). Eyes of Eden are more "rock" oriented, but well worth checking out for 2 bucks!

Now, if only someone would re-release Epica's "Consign to Oblivion and "The Score" CDs, I's be a happy, happy man!

I still suggest that everyone sign up at LastFM.com. Search for "Female Fronted Metal," and you'll hear crystal clear tracks by OVER 250 BANDS in the genre. It's where I've heard Tacere, To-Mera, and Octavia Sperati for the first time (I lucked out on To-Mera, I know someone at their record label who sent me a "care package" that should arrive this week. She was bummed that I didn't let her know my musical tastes earlier,because she would have sent me the Octavia Sperati and Liv Kristine's solo cd, too. Thank you, Paula, and thank you Facebook!

You can also download FREE, LEGAL MP3s they offer you from time to time, most notably "En Natt I Njord" from the recent Midnattsol CD (which I bought IMMEDIATELY. That song reaches my very soul).

Oh, "April Rain" by Delain is also a "must."

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Don, I was able to pick up both "The Score" and "Consign to Oblivion" off Amazon, both new and under $20 each. Both are excellent. I love "The Score", some fantastic music.

I searched Laser's Edge site and nothing comes up under Leaves Eyes, I mean nothing at all from the band. I also searched Njord, again nothing.

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Laser's Edge search engine sucks beyond all belief. The Leaves' Eyes CD are there. You just won't see them if you do a search (duh, what a concept).

If you look all CD's that start with "L", you'll see the Leaves' Eyes CDs:

http://www.lasercd.com/category.aspx?categoryid=16&startpage=2

Unfortunately, Njord is not listed. I bought my copy from CMDisto and it looks like they have it in stock for $15.50. Go get it now!

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Wow, my last post seems to have disappeared. I placed orders with Laser's Edge and CM Distro at the same time, and I don't remember what I ordered from whom, but I could SWEAR I got "Njord" from Laser's Edge. And it's true, Laser's edge really needs to rethink their search engine.If you order from CMDistro, be sure to check out their mega-cheap clearance sale, as I mentioned in a previous post. I've placed three orders with them in the last month, mostly for clearance items.
BTW, those who have ordered from CMDistro in the past: they seem to have cut back on the free CD-Samplers that they send along with your order. I placed two orders this month, and they both included only a Nuclear Blast Records compilation sampler (which is excellent). I hadn't ordered with them in about two years. I once ordered two cds from them, and they arrived in a CD mailer that seemed too large for just two cds. They had sent along no less than THIRTEEN different samplers with my order! I still have most of 'em!
I hope you find "Njord" to be worth the trouble! /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Well, coincidence of coincidences, I checked Laser's Edge and Njord is listed back on their main page. $2 cheaper than CMDisto too.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I just received "My Winter Storm", fantastic album from Tarja. The DVD that came with it is great. The song titled "Boy and the Ghost" is amazing, my favorite.

I just placed my order at CMDistro for two Leaves' Eyes CD's. Nijord and Vinland Saga. Looking forward to these arriving.

I was going to order from Laser's Edge as they were a couple of bucks less but it's just too damn frustrating try to navigate their site so I gave up. I won't shop there until they redo their website, it's seriously a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks