What's new

International Sweet Charity comes to blu ray France August 24th (1 Viewer)

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Hi, On You Tube go the South Pacifc Premire No Sound and you see the 70mm print on the screen plus TMOT short and then in the box with those lovely DP70s, its only b/w but a really good film of the Dominion.

Last edited:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Hi, On You Tube go the South Pacifc Premire No Sound and you see the 70mm print on the screen plus TMOT short and then in the box with those lovely DP70s, its only b/w but a really good film of the Dominion.

I watched it but there was no proof that the overture was not played. before the miracle of toddao short. There definately was an overture on the 70mm print that we screened back in 1958/9. The auditorium went completely dark for the last few bars of the overture and before the MOT came onto the screen.It was a great effect to suddenly see the film appear on a 60 ft curved screen.It was the first 70mm film screened and audiences never knew what to expect from the new system. The curtains parted during the few seconds that the auditorium was in darkness. The curtains were almost fully open before MOT came onto the screen. In those days projectionists had strict instructions from the studios,on how to present many of the roadshow films.I am sure it was the same for the film where ever it was screened in 70mm world wide.I maybe wrong but did any HTF readers actually see South Pacific at the Dominion or anywhere else in the world during it's roadshow screenings.?

Reactions: PMF

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
The Dominion had Festoon Curtains , the same as the Odeon Haymarket.
I could talk about the old West End Cinemas all day this is why I love this forum.

Last edited:

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
I thought this thread was about SWEET CHARITY,. There is another thread for SOUTH PACIFIC.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Just discovered this thread on "Sweet Charity".
Since 1969, I thought I was alone on my love for this film.
Amazing, but I've never met a person throughout all these years who's ever seen it.
Only here, on the HTF, have I found discussions and/or fans of the film.
This is great, great news to learn that "Sweet Charity" is popping up somewhere on this planet in Blu.
I, too, look forward to hearing any reviews of France's disc.
As all others here have said, we will Hope-fully have a disc in America.
Although, with what I've read, the French disc plays on all regions and the subtitles are not forced.
I wonder what the asking price is in France?

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I am hoping that Universal will have a musicals month and release Sweet Charity, Thoroughly Modern Millie and Flower Drum Song. These 3 would be so great on blu-ray. I've loved Sweet Charity for years, and it has such a great stereo recording. And of course the other 2, need I say anything else? With the huge change in Universal's blu-ray releasing policythis year and so many catalog titles coming out, more than any other studio except Warner really,, I now have high hopes for these 3 films hitting the big blu. C'mon Universal.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I, too, hold hopes for Universal to release the same 3 musicals, as cited in Post #47.
Can anyone address the terrific sound design on "Sweet Charity"?
A full restoration on that aspect alone would be enough to knock your socks off.
Ralph Burns is one of my personal favorites when it came to Orchestrations.
I thought it was a crying shame, if not utterly sinful, that the film version of "Chicago" omitted the use of Ralph Burns Scoring.

Last edited:

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Just discovered this thread on "Sweet Charity".
Since 1969, I thought I was alone on my love for this film.
Amazing, but I've never met a person throughout all these years who's ever seen it.
Only here, on the HTF, have I found discussions and/or fans of the film.
This is great, great news to learn that "Sweet Charity" is popping up somewhere on this planet in Blu.
I, too, look forward to hearing any reviews of France's disc.
As all others here have said, we will Hope-fully have a disc in America.
Although, with what I've read, the French disc plays on all regions and the subtitles are not forced.
I wonder what the asking price is in France?
29.21 US

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I am now disappointed, I see the blu-ray import of Sweet Charity that just came out is Dolby True HD 2.0, the U.S. dvd release was Dolby Digital 4.0. What a shame to matrix a 4.0 mix. I am now wondering just what source this release came from. The DVD's soundtrack is extraordinary! I have to agree with you about Ralph Burns. He's right up there with Phillip J. Lang and Robert Russell Bennett (two of the greatest Broadway orchestrators in my book).

2HB

Agent
Real Name
Russell
Just need to have a look at Elephant films Facebook page. If you click on the announcement for Sweet charity it links you to a French review site On-hd which confirms DTS-MA 2.0. Having said that the review is very positive and the screen grabs for what they're worth look excellent.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Dear Universal...please take the Sound Mix critiques of the French "Sweet Charity" BD to heart. It would be great to deem the French disc as your proto-type preparation for an even sweeter release in America. Please make that "Brass Band" brassier to our ears; after all "There's Gotta Be Something Better Than This"; and I believe that Universal America are just the people to do that. Don't give up "Hope". Are you with me, Charlie?;)

Last edited:

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I watched it last night. The Overture and intermission are there. The sounds really needs to be upgraded...it was just ok.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
If it looked as good as the TCM showing I would be happy. Mine says not shipped yet, but due around September 6.

2HB

Agent
Real Name
Russell
I watched it last night. The Overture and intermission are there. The sounds really needs to be upgraded...it was just ok.
Mine should be arriving on Tuesday. How does the sound compare to the DVD? I'm assuming it's an improvement. What about the picture quality? To be honest I'm grateful it's actually available on Blu. I was beginning to give up hope. At least it's another ticked off my considerable list.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
There are moments that look great "Rich Man's Frug" "Rhythm of Life"...others not so much. It is not a new restoration.....Happy it's on Blu but wish it was a full restoration.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...] It is not a new restoration.....Happy it's on Blu but wish it was a full restoration.
Can anyone address if a full restoration is required? (i.e. in the true definition of "restoration" as defined by Robert A. Harris)
To attain what we're looking for on the American BD, maybe "restoration" isn't quite the word or phrase that's required. Only others more technically proficient than I could address this question.
Additionally, is there any known information concerning the OCN and its current state?
Universal may also want to consider that "Sweet Charity" is the last remaining Bob Fosse musical to arrive on BD; and that "Cabaret" and "All That Jazz" received restorations; so it certainly will have its following in the wings.
We've covered the hopes for a better "Sound Design" somewhat; but also hope that Universal considers a superior quality in picture over the French edition; as 3-Time Oscar winner Robert Surtees handled the cinematography.
Well, as the song goes, "There's Gotta Be Something Better Than This". And in the end, I am certain that Universal fully well knows the drill at this point, as well as knowing of our hopes for a better BD in America.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks