What's new

SVS vs Velodyne SPL vs Sunfire (1 Viewer)

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese
Ron,

Thank you for your mature, thorough, and intelligent response.I believe in science, but I don't believe it always dictates how quality is perceived. If it were determined tomorrow after a series of tests that the AR1's have terrifically poor bass response it would not change the fact that they do a magnificent job for "me". Ron, you said a lot and most of what you said I agree with but you said it best when you wrote:

"In the end, it's academic. Reese is one hell of a happy user and that's all that matters to him".

Bingo!, and all the measuring, testing, and spreadsheets in the world couldn't change that for me or anyone else pleased with their gear. This is not to say that poor specs should be dismissed or ignored if the performance is pleasing, but rather that both aspects should be given equal consideration, and as we all know the two don't always go hand in hand, if at all rarely. The world of audo would be a far easier place to comprehend if everything in it were as simple as black and white, but alas it is made up of many references, many rules, and enough grey areas to keep everyone on their toes.

(P.S.- Ron, mother nature has many rules, but many of them
have exceptions, and some have even been broken. It is my strong belief that the AR1's are an exception to the "even power towers need a dedicated sub to realize low quality bass response". Despite cold hard facts, which aren't as cold and as hard in the realm of aural perception as some
would believe, it's always wise to allow room for "possibility" - lest we claim omniscience.)

Reginald,

As I stated before, "my" experience with the AR1's is that of abundant quality bass. Does it sound like there is 50% THD to me?,- no - do I know the THD at 100db/20Hz? - no - if I did would that change anything for me one way or another? - no. They say ignorance is bliss, but when something sounds and feels good, it well......sounds and feels good. What can I say?, I love their performance, a very unscientific conclusion I know, but the truth none the
less. If what you have between your legs is perfectly suited for the woman your with and in fact she
wouldn't want anything more or less, does it matter that the next guy is bigger than you?. There comes a point when
ego takes over and it is no longer about knowing you have all that you want and need, but rather wanting to know that
no one else can compete or dare to do so. The AR1's are not
the biggest baddest bass performers in all the land, and yet I seem to sleep good at night, but they are good enough
that when I do sleep it's with a smile on my face.:)

Separate the men from the boyz huh?, well if it's ever determined that the AR1's are just boyz, then I hope I never grow up.:)

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
"Separate the men from the boyz huh?, well if it's ever determined that the AR1's are just boyz, then I hope I never grow up. ;)"
-------------------------

I was talking about the singing group Boyz II Men. ;)"

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese
Reginald,

Now I'm REALLY offended!!! :D lol

Ron,

You were wondering about the nature of the 500 watts,- it is 500 watts RMS (continuos) to each sub, which is sealed enclosed.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
This post had a few assumptions in it that may not be true, so I took that part out. I spoke without having enough experience to back it up. But, it would be nice to see some sort of performance measurement of the AR1 type full range speakers, because an Adire Tempest (which I consider a good solid subwoofer with about as much output as a single SVS plus driver) in 3 feet cubed driven with 500 watts (which is stretching it) should be good for only about 100db at 20Hz.

I know what you mean, Reese, by your description of the AR speakers' performance. But I can't agree with the conclusion you made about their worthiness compared to a larger, more linear SVS.

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese
Michael,

As I've said before, I can only relate what I have experienced with the AR1's, and you are not obligated to take my word for it. My primary intent was to convey that I
want for nothing where bass is concerned, and not just because there is alot of it but also because it is clean and accurate. There's really nothing more to be said on the issue that wouldn't lead right back to the start.

In conclusion, I'm happy, and I hope you're happy, if you're not happy then I hope you get happy, but until you
get happy and even if you never get happy, I'll still be happy with what I have. :)

P.S. - Michael you said: "The real subwoofer (I'm comparing to Shiva and Tempest here) also seem to "pressurize" the room in a pretty awe inspiring way, which my speakers have no hint of doing even though a sine sweep reveals they are strong to just below 20Hz"

I'm not being sarcastic when I say that I'm sorry that your
speakers are not capable of the "pressurized" room effect,
but I gotta tell ya Michael, with all honesty the AR1's produce that effect, and is one of the reasons why I worship at the feet of these twin towers of subsonic terror. The effect is awe inspiring indeed - remember that scene at the end of the Matrix after Neo jumps into Agent Smith?, - well when he absorbs the energy the walls on each side of him slightly bend in, and when he releases the stress of this energy the walls bend out,- holy mother-f-'ing shiznits!!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
It is the "pressurized" room effect exemplified! My ears pop and my heart palpitates, I'm talking physical reactions from the human body! If these aren't "real" subs...then I don't care.:D

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
"In conclusion, I'm happy, and I hope you're happy, if you're not happy then I hope you get happy, but until you
get happy and even if you never get happy, I'll still be happy with what I have. "

Nice way to sum it up, Reese (yes I am definitely happy, but once I have the opportunity to get a subwoofer I will run, not walk). And if anyone ever says "happy" more times in once sentence, I'd like to hear about it. :)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I was never in this thread.. You never saw me here. I was
merly a figment of your imaginations. Ohh and guess what?

SVS Rules! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks